Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Restoring a 1959 Jaguar Mark IX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Restoring a 1959 Jaguar Mark IX

I recently was given a 1959 Jaguar Mark IX. Everything is there; parts, chrome etc but needs aalloott of work. It been sitting for 25 years neglected so rust in the floorboards and bottom of doors is a big issue. Im not scared to tackle this project but I need some advise on what to do. Parts are almost impossible to get for this car. Debating on retrofitting a newer chevy engine in it. Is there a easy way to get panels for this car to where I can cut the rusted parts off and weld new panels in. This is a do it myself project but I need some guidence.

The following users liked this post:
alangordonman (12-03-2012)
Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

What a ride , I like Mark Series more than others
Well, we have a members twojags and she has Nark IX too . Being a new member you may not contact her via pm so I can advise you to contact
www.britishparts.com or email ken@britishparts.com they should be selling some parts for classics

Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Getting body panels for the body of a Mark IX will be very difficult, if not impossible in 2010, you would have to get a panel man to make sections for you to weld in using the old panel as a pattern. There may be somebody doing panels for the XK120/140/150 cars so try an internet search.

However, remember this is a chassis car, so there is likely to be much similarity on chasssi components with the XK sports cars built at the same time. As regards the engine, gearbox etc, there are plenty of parts for these on the same basis as the sports cars. Don't rush to put a cooking Chevrolet engine in it, a Jaguar is the sum of its parts.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Getting body panels for the body of a Mark IX will be very difficult, if not impossible in 2010, you would have to get a panel man to make sections for you to weld in using the old panel as a pattern. There may be somebody doing panels for the XK120/140/150 cars so try an internet search.

However, remember this is a chassis car, so there is likely to be much similarity on chasssi components with the XK sports cars built at the same time. As regards the engine, gearbox etc, there are plenty of parts for these on the same basis as the sports cars. Don't rush to put a cooking Chevrolet engine in it, a Jaguar is the sum of its parts.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'd prefer using the original engine but I know parts may be an issue. I wonder if anyone knows anyone in or around Georgia that makes panels if they had my old ones cut off and be used as a template.

What is the best way to tackle the overall rust on the jag. Is there a spray I can use that convert the rust is hard to reach areas?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

IMHO the only real way to tackle rust, is to remove it and replace with good metal.

The mechanicals will be the least of your worries, as Fraser says.

You might find this site to be of interest. Jag MK 1X

Best of luck.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Put together a suitable itinerary of all the Jag. scrapyards, and have a holiday in Southern England. They also call them "auto-jumbles". In concourse cond. these Mk.9s are worth a fortune.
Leedsman.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 PM

I read that Jaguar only produced 10,005 of these Mark IX cars so I assume that only a small fraction of these cars excist to this day. I know this car will have some value in the future so I plan on tearing it down to the frame and recondition and rebuild it from the ground up. I've never done anything like this before, it will a great experience for me. I will keep you all posted on this project.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I'll look forward to hearing about and seeing your progress.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:55 PM

I'm making good headway with this restoration. I just finished pulling the engine and tranny and so far so good. Engine holds oil well, radiator has no leaks etc... While taking the engine compartment apart, I notices there many loose, cut and sliced wires under the hood. Does anyone have a wiring diarhram for the 1959 mark ix?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell

I haven't ordered from these guys yet but I found a site that has almost eny part and panels anyone would ever need for an older jag. Here's the site. http://www.sngbarrattusa.com/

I hope this will help others who want to restore older jags.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was a kid living in the UK my father used to collect Jags, at one time he had five MKIX's, two MKVII"s, a MKII and an S type. Unfortunately his company was hit by a huge loss from a company he contracted to and he lost a quarter of a million pounds back in the mid 1970's and we lost everything, and the Jags had to go, he kept one MKIX, a white one and that was written of in a bad wreck with a truck.

I really wish you well with your project.

OTGT (12-03-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 59 As well in our yard, Its pretty toasted but I do have some interior and exterior pieces. Let me know

OTGT (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SPP - British
I have a 59 As well in our yard, Its pretty toasted but I do have some interior and exterior pieces. Let me know
Can you email me a photo of it. I may want to buy some pieces from you

Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

It looks as if you've received alot of good advice above.
Modern day body shops are more parts replacers, and truly skilled sheet metal workers are getting hard to find--at least for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, modern body shops with 10+ workers and a $3 million mortgages have to do fast, high turnover work. Public vocational school instructors often will point you to smaller shops with the skills and lower cost structures to do these jobs. Also, votech classes are often looking for interesting project cars to work on. It wouldn't be difficult to put 1000 man/hours into this project @ $40 per hour + supplies. It's important to decide on front end how much you're willing to put into this project--and to stick to your budget.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Jip
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, I'm a complete newbee here and have only recently gone through the 'intro' stage, but if I may jump in, please.
I'd love to have a car like that. No what I would do? I would clean it of course. Get all the loose stuff out and then focus on the running gear. That's really the easy(easier?) part. Get all the nesessery parts in order. Make it driveable if that's your goal and leave the rest of it alone. What I mean is, make a 'RatCar' out of it. Assuming it has windows and such and the car appears to be mostly original I think the car offers more mystique as is then most restored cars. With the recent advent of the 'preserved' class in car shows as well as 'RatCars' being in vogue your opportunity to create a rolling fossil is unique. Restoring that particular car will certainly take time and dedication. I personally would have much more fun creating a good running rust bucket I could drive anywhere and hope you would also. Cars like that are getting hard to find. Just a thought.

'Good Luck' Roadslayer

Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Default mark 9

[QUOTE=Fraser Mitchell;261458]Getting body panels for the body of a Mark IX will be very difficult. No all body panels are available from Worcester classics UK.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:24 AM

All Jaguar mark 9 body panels are available from Worcester classics England UK. Alan

Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OTGT,

That looks a very challenging project but it will be worth it in the end.

I have a friend who has one but his dad worked for gardner diesel engines many years ago so the car now has a diesel engine... A shame as its a lovely car.

Keep the car standard as much as you can, would be my advice.

As Alan said Worcestor Classics are very good for parts.

Im a 420G myself but recently I accquired some MKIX interior wood:

Door Cappings
Cant Rails
Dash board Facias
B Posts
Glove box with Glove Box attached
And the Dash section for the other side.

All just re-furbished happy to ship world wide if you were interested

Please PM me if you are.

Keep the project pictures coming once work commences.....

Quick Reply: Restoring a 1959 Jaguar Mark IX