Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag S Type VS Chrysler 300

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Jag S Type VS Chrysler 300

This is something I've wanted to write for a long time. Sitting here at 5 in the morning I figured, what the heck, so here goes.

We all know the infamous Top Gear where the Chrysler 300C, Vauxhall Monaro (Pontiac GTO), and Jaguar S Type R are pitted against each other. I also know that Top Gear basically hates Chrysler. So having lived with both cars I figured I would compare them. This is based on my experience and is not some instrumented test like Car and Driver. Also, I think it only fair that I base my comparison on two V8 cars. We all know it was kind of unfair for Top Gear to bring in the R. They should have used the regular V8 Jag. I've had enough seat time in a naturally aspirated 4.2 S type to make the logical comparison. Eventhough my Jag was the 3.0 and Chrysler makes V6 300's, this is pitting the 300C V8 against the base V8 S Type.

So here goes..

Exterior and Styling:Tie

Before everyone starts flipping out, let's remember that styling appeal is a totally subjective thing. Suffice to say, since I've had both cars, I like them both. They present totally different looks and I find them both interesting. To be totally honest I would have to say I prefer the 300. But that is just me. Someone else would have a totally different opinion. Now as far as quality goes, I'll have to give that one to the 300. The panel fits on the 300 and the S Type were good but the trim on the Jag was just weak. Didn't fit well and didn't weather well either. The 300 on the other hand looks and feels tough. Everything is bolted together well and is not showing signs of wear. Also, I found the paint work on the Jag to be fragile. It was applied beautifully, and looked awsome, but just scratched and chipped real easy. The 300 on the other hand, again, not applied as well but tough as nails.

Engine: Winner, 300C Hemi V8

I know, I know... The Hemi is an overhead valve 5.7 liter low tech brick compared to the sophisticated 4.2 liter Jaguar V8. The thing is, both are great engines. The Jag and Chrysler power plants put out good power and are very reliable. Here is the thing. I expected and appreciated that the 4.2 put out a healthy 300 hp and could rev up there to 6000 rpm. Sweet! Funny thing is, the "low tech" 5.7 Hemi revs out also. Literally screams to 6000 rpm under full throttle. Puts out great hp and tourque numbers and with a simple intake tube and low restriction filter sounds like an old school muscle car getting there. Also, the Hemi V8 has some neat tech stuff as well. There is a multi-displacement feature that works great. It shuts down half of it's cylinders at low load to boost MPG. It works, and works seamlessly. The real tipper though is the ease of maintenance. It takes 16 spark plugs and they need replacement frequently since they spec standard plugs with a 30,000 mile life. But here's the kicker, they are only around a buck each and it honestly took me all of 20 minutes to change all 16. It doesn't end there. The throttle body is tough, no issues there with failures and water intrusion. Takes all of 10 minutes to pull it and clean it if dirty. Everything on the engine is right there and simple to maintain. Has to be the easiest modern car I've ever worked on. Even easier than the 4.0 straight six in my previous Jeeps. Then there is the aftermarket. There is a bunch of stuff to be had pretty inexpensively to wake the engine up. So, all things considered, I think the Hemi is a winner.

Transmission: Winner, Chrysler 300C

The ZF hp26 is a great transmission for both durability and performance. Thing is, so is the Mercedes Nag1(sic) 5 speed. Even with one less gear there are some real world reasons I like the Mercedes trans. First things first. They both suffer very similar flaws. There is a minor fitting that is known to leak on both of them. They are both "sealed" transmissions. They both are adaptive and get "moody". Here is where the difference lies. When the ZF drifts and lurches..time to beg the dealer for a re-flash. When the Mercedes trans starts to act up..pull a fuse! If you really want to check the ZF's fluid pull the fill plug and stick your finger in there. On the Mercedes trans, buy a service dip stick and use the "service only" dip stick tube already there. Then there is service costs. Less than a third of the cost of servicing the ZF box. AND... taking it to the dealer to do it if you don't want to deal with all the temperature nonsense, 120 bucks... Again, cheap and easy.

Suspension: Winner Jaguar S Type (HANDS DOWN)

By far the weakest part of the 300. Not only is it tuned poorly, but it is prone to fail in many many ways. Not that the 300 is horrible to drive, it isn't. Just the Jag was light years better. They both "ride soft and smooth" until you decide to throw them into a turn. The 300 gets unsettled, leans, and just doesn't perform well. The Jag, even without adaptive suspension, just hunkers down, grips, and basically handles wonderfully. Now I know not everyone wants to be a track star at every exit ramp but there is a practical side to this as well. In any emergency move in the Jag, I knew just what it would do and that it would take care of me. No so much in the 300. Then there is the Jag's DSC vs the Chrysler's ESP. Jag... great ... Chrysler .... Not so much... Here it is tuning as well. The Jag in wet, dry, snow stepped in enough to keep the car planted but did so gently. It allowed a bit of drift and wheel spin. The Chrysler, not so much... It knows two things... Off and On. The part that is really bad is the abrupt nature that it kicks in. It basically cuts everything off and doesn't allow for a bit of performance to sneak in. This to me is an everyday issue. I found myself always leaving the Jaguar's DSC on and am constantly turning off the Chrysler's ESP. In fact, last winter it wouldn't go anywhere with ESP on. Not cool.
Then there is the durability... I basically can expect to have to replace all the suspension components before 100k. Already at 40k I had to replace two lower control arms!

Interior: Jaguar S Type

This one is me being honest with myself. I actually like the interior of the 300 better, but for all the wrong reasons. It is made of tough materials that can be cleaned with a scrub brush (not what I really do). The leather on the seats is even some thick tough stuff. No signs of wear on the outside bolster that is typical of actually all other leather seats.. But I need to be honest. The interior in the 300 is the second weak spot next to the suspension. It is cheap feeling, like the interior of a Ryder Rental Truck! It rattles and buzzes. I've applied more felt, silicone, and other garage fixes to this thing than all my other cars combined... and it sill rattles and buzzes. I know the Jag has it's flaws as well and in respect to space I'll leave it at that. Thing is it always felt rich inside. Also, no matter what the weather it was always silent in there. A true retreat from the outside world. I miss it. I also didn't need to constantly fix it. In the 300's defense, it is comfortable. The seats don't have any lateral support (maybe the Germans did that on purpose... see suspension comments) but they are very comfortable. Also, it is very well equipped. It may not look like it but every thing is there plus some. Things are more adjustable in the 300. You have access to the computer and can really personalize it right from the driver's seat. Still, even with the limitations, the S Type was always a pleasant drive.

Audio: Winner Chrysler 300C

Not really a category but so impressed that I had to do this... I had the base audio in my Jaguar S Type. It was great sounding in my opinion. I also had plenty of seat time in a S Type with the upgraded Alpine system and actually thought it sounded worse! My 300 has the Boston Acoustic upgraded sound system but not the available trunk mounted sub. It has a basic head unit as well. Well, this thing rocks! It has great bass and super clear highs. I am really blown away by it's performance. So much so, that the ONLY way I will replace the head unit with something more current and feature rich is if I can do it with the current speakers and amp.

Overall Chrysler 300C

So, before everyone freaks out.. I truly loved my Jaguar S Type. There was something almost "bigger than life" about it. It was magical to get in and drive. That is also a flaw. It was almost like a fine piece of china on the shelf. I was always scared to hurt it. Actually used to joke how cruel it was to beat the poor thing with daily life duty. No so with the Chrysler. I'm not scared in the least to flog it day in and day out. That may seem like I don't care too much about it. Not true. I really love this thing. There is a childish enthusiasm that it projects. Like an old 60's big block muscle car. It just slams you back and roars through the day. But, it does it while giving you all the luxury things you need and it doesn't kill your wallet doing it. It gets a consistent 20+ mpg even with the hard on ramp acceleration and passing. It is cheap to keep well maintained. Even fixing the frustrating suspension is relatively cheap.

Here is the major realization that I had. You know that "what if I won the lottery" thought that you have? Well, when I had the Jag, it was what would I get to replace it... With the 300, not so much. It is "what would I get to go with it". I know it will wear out some day, but I don't see me getting rid of it until it either is costing me too much or just dies. It is really that much fun and practical to have. Fits my needs and my Family's needs as well.

I know... Long... But I needed this. Thanks for reading...

And let the bashing and beating begin.... LOL.....

The following users liked this post:
Simon McGuirk (02-25-2021)
Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Not bashing, but I reckon TG went with the most powerful engine each had.

The 4.2 NA S-Type is 300hp, STR 400hp. Chrysler hemi 5.7 looks to be 350hp. It's not fair on the jag to pick the NA or fair on the 300C to pick the STR so it's impossible to compare "fairly".

I don't understand how you would find that about the Alpine but don't mean to say you didn't. A broken one or with stupid settings in the menus?

I guess the situation over here with parts etc would be the reverse of what you found. There ARE Chryslers but it's a real surprise to see one. (For me, one of the ugliest cars around - my tastes aren't yours LOL)

edit: I enjoyed reading it - so, thanks. Also, about the gearbox + dipstick. Hooray.

And, the ease of working on the engine is probably because I think the 300C is a lot bigger (er, right?). That is a major issue over here (& europe) because it won't (for example) fit into garages or parking bays (and we pay for a lot of parking!).

Last edited by JagV8; 12-23-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

I was given one of these as a rental by the Jag dealer earlier this summer.

No offense but pleeeeze. It felt cheap. I was hoping it would restore some of my faith in American manufacturers. It had the opposite effect. I'd like to try a new caddy and see how that does.

But I did rent a Ford Taurus over the Thanksgiving holiday for a round trip from NYC to Atlanta and that car has improved a hell of a lot. It had the base engine so there's no point comparing that with the motor in the STR. I'd like to try the turbo version. But the comfort, room and stereo/electronics were as good and better in some cases that of the STR. The ergonomics of their "voice" system weren't terribly terrific. It's still not as tight or solid feeling a car as the STR and it is FWD so there's that. The paddle shifting tranny was decent. I really wish the STR had that. Overall I'm not a big fan of the Jags ZF box. It sure was used on a lot of cars though.

The Taurus chassis was VERY good though, with ride not quite as good.

It was just as quiet inside as the Jag too.

The price of very good driving cars is steadily dropping with respect to the expensive ones. But they're all going up!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Ninety-five percent of the 300s in our neck of the woods are essentially ghettomobiles with 22-inch spinner rims, stick-on portholes, and booming bass heard from a quarter-mile away. Enough said....

Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JagV8

And, the ease of working on the engine is probably because I think the 300C is a lot bigger (er, right?). That is a major issue over here (& europe) because it won't (for example) fit into garages or parking bays (and we pay for a lot of parking!).
Here is a picture of a Hemi V8.

Polished

Stock

Mine looks the same as the second picture with the cover off. I included the custom one because it was a close up. Amazing how hard it is to find a picture of a naked one.. Anyway, note the coil over plug placement. The fact that the harnesses are routed around everything. Even the fuel lines and rails are all nice and neat. Throttle body right in the front with three bolts and a couple plugs. Seriously, it is so easy to get to stuff. It's more than size as well, the motor fills the engine bay, they just routed stuff better.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Ninety-five percent of the 300s in our neck of the woods are essentially ghettomobiles with 22-inch spinner rims, stick-on portholes, and booming bass heard from a quarter-mile away. Enough said....
Like the "Jags of South Jersey" ... and many more I've seen on here....

Leave it to you Jon.....

Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
The paddle shifting tranny was decent. I really wish the STR had that
There are universal paddle shifter kits...No idea how the Jag's computers would respond to that...

Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I was given one of these as a rental by the Jag dealer earlier this summer.

No offense but pleeeeze. It felt cheap. I was hoping it would restore some of my faith in American manufacturers. It had the opposite effect. I'd like to try a new caddy and see how that does.
It was a 2010, I hope... and probably a 2.7 V6. The worse ones they make. Like I stated in my original post... I totally agree with you on the interior, and the suspension.. I've come to accept it, but you are dead on. It is funny to note that even though it feels cheap as crap, it is tough. I've had so many parts of it apart multiple times and nothing has ever cracked or broken. It is sad that I've pulled some of that stuff apart twenty plus times. Almost every week I take something apart trying to chase down a squeak or rattle. That said, the 2011 is a HUGE leap forward. Really nice, but still not worth the 40k plus for one new and who knows if it too will be a squeak and rattle box (but it sure looks and feels purdy).

Not a Taurus fan, but many have said they are good. I just don't like the whole transverse engine, front drive thing.

I have driven the new style base CTS. Not far, but enough to say it is a real nice car. Just too small for my needs and still out of my price range.

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-23-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  19.3 KB

Jeff, nice to see you around the place and posting my friend

Thanks for sharing your comparisons between the 300 and the S type....an interesting read.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

If you get a chance try the CTS-V. Especially the newer versions that come with the 6 speed automatic. 556 HP is very addictive!

Don't know if they will drop enough in price in the coming years for me to get one but the STR with NO aftermarket is a bit frustrating!! That LS based engine in the Caddy just has an unreal amount of aftermarket support.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Jeff,

I think I've confessed on theses pages before, I am a self-admitted Chrysler biggot. If you gave me anything from their line I'd hold a "Fire-sale" and let it go super-cheap in lieu of having to pay sales taxes on the prize! (and this extends to my beloved Jeep marque) Nonetheless, thanks for writing it, it was an enjoyable read.

Zane

(I'm glad everyone's not like me and Chrysler has its following....else I'd never find a buyer if I ever DO win one in a school fund-raiser or something!)

The following users liked this post:
JOsworth (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

I liked the 300C, when it was released. But it hasn't aged gracefully, & now just looks gaudy & OTT to me. The S-Type, on the other hand, is ageing beautifully. & looks as distinguished now, as it did when it was released.
BTW The Vauxhall Monaro/Pontiac GTO is actually a Holden Monaro. Designed & built in Adelaide Sth Australia.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the new 300 a lot. I took a rental 2011 model on a trip to San Antonio from Houston. It averaged 25.5 mpg at 80-90 mph driving speeds. It was a comfortable car that never left me tired. It seemed pretty quick. With the V6, it was not as fast as a Hemi, but it could handily swamp my 3.0 in acceleration (duh).

It will be sevaral years before I purchase another car and I will probably opt to keep the Jag running over buying a newer car.

Right now, my Jag is suffering the rigors of mainly city/suburban loop driving with occasional road trips outside town. It seems to handle the duty fine, although the daily driving has taken its toll.

My next car is going to be one easier to maintain. The number of hours and tasks required in changing the simplest thing is inexcusable. Spark plugs are my biggest complaint, although radiator hoses are a second. I have had to replace the hoses twice in my short 2.5 year period of owning the car.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

It's funny, but judging both cars from the OP's comparison, I'd have given the win to the S-Type. Why? Because it wins (hands down) in the handling dept. & that, for me, is the only comparison I'm interested in. Maybe there is some truth to the rumour that Americans don't value a sharp handling car as much as the rest of us, which is TGs biggest beef with US autos. They called the 300C an E class Merc in a fat suit, with all it's good handling capabilities removed. That's the brilliance of the Monaro. It's raw US muscle with European handling. The new HSV Clubsport's even better, with magnetic suspension that's only found on top-spec BMW's & Mercs.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed. Handling is key for me as well. The great thing about he Jag is the handling, comfort, styling and speed combined into one package. That is probably why I will continue to own the car or one like it no matter what I may complain about on this forum.

I like the fact that the car does not consume prodigious amounts of gasoline. I also like the fact that I can nail the gas and get out of most situations that arise in Houston, TX.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Chrysler 300 is to McDonald's Vanilla Milkshakes and Rosie O'Donnell

AS

Jaguar S-Type is to Bailey's Irish Cream Liquor and Supermodels

Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's something you can do with a 300 that isn't available for an S.

Put fake Bentley badges on it. (kits available online).

There was a guy at a place I used to work who "bentleyed" his 300. Another guy with an identical color 300 would always park right next to him. Made me smile every time I walked to the parking lot.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by scatcat
It's funny, but judging both cars from the OP's comparison, I'd have given the win to the S-Type. Why? Because it wins (hands down) in the handling dept. & that, for me, is the only comparison I'm interested in. Maybe there is some truth to the rumour that Americans don't value a sharp handling car as much as the rest of us, which is TGs biggest beef with US autos. They called the 300C an E class Merc in a fat suit, with all it's good handling capabilities removed. That's the brilliance of the Monaro. It's raw US muscle with European handling. The new HSV Clubsport's even better, with magnetic suspension that's only found on top-spec BMW's & Mercs.
Oh we value sharp handling cars (at least most of us on here)... From what I've learned I will be able to fix it up some via the aftermarket. It will just take me time as I replace various parts...

Your waxing about Holden is what gets me mad about GM. The Monaro / Commodore is GM getting it right. They are an American company yet they don't send them here. They do badge them as Chevy's for other markets...

See the Chevy Lumina:

Look familiar??? Used to be here as well, as the Pontiac G8, but GM killed Pontiac... God they drive me nuts...

Oh, and the magnetic suspension.. That is a GM technology pioneered in the Cadillac and Corvette. BMW and Merc got it from them.

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-23-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Oo Ah. & I thought I was pushing the good taste boundaries by putting Lotus badges on my MX5.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by wedgewa
Here's something you can do with a 300 that isn't available for an S.

Put fake Bentley badges on it. (kits available online).

There was a guy at a place I used to work who "bentleyed" his 300. Another guy with an identical color 300 would always park right next to him. Made me smile every time I walked to the parking lot.
Oh, come on... Like it never goes on with Jags...

Any stylish or premium car that starts to become affordable ends up customized by the "great tasteless". That's not what this thread is about.. Heck, give me ten minutes and I can build quite a collection of tasteless Jags just with google alone. (see above)...

Funny thing is most of the really bad 300's out there are 6cyl cars.. But I have seen a few V8's too..

Quick Reply: Jag S Type VS Chrysler 300