X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportwagon tailgate glass supports

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sportwagon tailgate glass supports

The gas filled support struts for the tailgate glass are needing replaced on my 2005 X-type Sportwagon. The end of the strut that attaches to the glass is easy to access but the other end is buried in a sort of tunnel under the rear of the cars roof. Does anyone know how to access this end of the strut? As far as I can see the only way is to remove some of the roof liner at the back. Can this be done without damaging the liner?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 11-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saltyone, Don't tear up your headliner. if you have not already done it, go to X Type forum, and open quick "How To" links, then download Jaguar_XType_WorkshopManual.pdf. You will find shop instructions on removing headliner from the X Type Wagon on page 2406. Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:52 PM

There is also X Type Wagon information in the "How To" section in the download, JJM181599_50X_Type 05 up models.pdf.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Also check out JJM181599_50X_Type 05 up models.pdf, C Pillar Trim Panel, Wagon on page 3906 of the Workshop Manual

Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 PM

SaltyOne,

Just checking to see if you got your tailgate glass support struts issue sorted out. Mine drops easily and is very heavy if your head is in the way. But, if I lift it up to it's maximum top position and hold it for a second, it has a "catch" position that holds the glass up safely. This seems to work even if the car is on a bit of a slope.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:06 AM

Mikeb,

Thanks for the help. I haven't looked further into this problem yet. I got busy changing front and rear suspension arms on the other x-type I have. I'm also going to have to get the leaking oil pan gasket resolved real soon too, But that's another story.

I checked the workshop manual and it looked to me like the way to replace the glass supports means taking off the entire tailgate.

The day I was looking at this problem I did not have the time to do that so decided to leave it until I do, and to wait for a bit warmer weather. Plan on tackling it sometime this spring. I'll post details when I do.

Thanks again,
Eric

Old 08-03-2020, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, did you happen to find out how to change those window struts. I have the same car that belonged to my mother before she passed away. So i keep it for sentimental reasons as it was hers. but truth be told, i hate foreign cars, especially european cars. And this window strut thing is the perfect example as to why i feel that way. Unlike a Buick Roadmaster wagon that i also have, where the cars design is such that both struts can be replace in a couple minutes, this european design is such that it appears the headliner has to be removed to get at the struts. They should have just copied the Buick design. But i was sort of alarmed by your last post where youi thought the whole tailgate had to be removed to get at the struts. Hopefully you have found a easier way. Can you let me know if you found out how to change these things? thanks, Robert

Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 AM

Robert,

sorry but I can’t really help. I sold the car some time ago and never got to fixing these before I sold it. Check the link in the messages above which Takes you to the manual for the car. It is a lot of work if I remember right.

good luck,
Eric.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass sportwagon tailgate supports replace

Thank you everyone who helped me save no doubt a grand at the jag dealer.. and a total of 37.89 for the set, i used points of 16.47 total $21.50, So when I have the time next week now that I have the work shop manual, I'm going to put them on with the help of the great diagrams found on page # 406 thru 412

Thank you again, and yes you dount even have to take off the entire rubber seal. I'm sure I'll be back again. I am greatful. I replaced the shocks on the hood 2 minute or less, no kidding. I'll update when I'm done.
Mike

Originally Posted by SaltyOne
The gas filled support struts for the tailgate glass are needing replaced on my 2005 X-type Sportwagon. The end of the strut that attaches to the glass is easy to access but the other end is buried in a sort of tunnel under the rear of the cars roof. Does anyone know how to access this end of the strut? As far as I can see the only way is to remove some of the roof liner at the back. Can this be done without damaging the liner?

Thanks,
Eric