X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 x type headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 x type headlight replacement

I have tried to replace the low beam headlight bulb on the passenger side of the car. I have unclipped the two wire clips and tried to remove the black plastic cap that covers the light on the inside. The cap moves easily on the right hand side but the left hand side (toward the fender) seems to be attached somehow in the upper corner. I didn't want to use force to try and remove it. Is there something else that holds the black cap in place? Am I missing removing something? If anyone else has replaced the passenger side bulb I would appreciate some help as to how you did it. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2002 x type headlight replacement

No, it's just a real pain in the *********.....I came <> that close to removing the entire front clip just to get the light replaced. NOT FUN

Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Then just hope the bulb socket has not melted to the
the bulb! Mine is on the left side headlamp. Need to
tap the light to get it to come on most of the time.
I am going to get a ceramic socket and rewire both
low beamsafter I get my damn ABS issue fixed!

Those plastic cups are a pain too!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM

It's beena while since I replaced mine, but I think there are just two clips that hold the cap on. I remember getting them off wasn't a problem, it was putting them back in that was a pain. About a month after I changed the bulbs, I discovered a dead spider in the headlight while I was washing the car. It was on the drivers side, which from what I remember was the harder side. I took the cap back off, but could get the spider. Finally, I took my air compressor hose and blew air in it from behind and the spider came out somewhere.

Good luck. It's just two clips but what a pain.

Paul

Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I approached my dealer about this issue and was real surprised that he said to bring the car in and they would do the job for gratis. I know, I know, there probably will be some sort of cost here. But hopefully it will be minimal (again, I know, I know, its a Jag dealer). Anyway, my hand is already all scraped up from my first failed attempt and nothing has been damaged to my knowledge. So if the cost is low I will be ahead of the game. By the way a piece of strong wire like a metal coat hanger bent into a small hook works fine to reattach the inside clip.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM

Well I went to the Jag dealer with two bulbs I purchased myself (decided to have driver's side done at the same time) and they replaced them in under 1/2 hour at absolutely no cost. I was amazed.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Default x type bulb headlight replacement

It's quite easy really - just need one of those long mini rollers used for painting behind radiators -(without the roller, of course), tease it in, push far clip off and pull it back on when done
Housing moves to the side and downward with some gentle teasing

Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default clips

just thought I might add a couple things that I found worked well this weekend when it it warmed up enough (-10 C )to change the low beam bulbs again.
Reading most of the posts it seems it is recommended to remove the bumper to change the headlights. Being as that was too much for me to tackle at this time of year without a garge I discovered it is possible to change change them ( as long as you don't mind having more skin under the hood of the car than on your hands at the end of it) and doing most of it by feel as it is very hard to see anything after your hands are in there. One trick I did discover however ( not sure if it is an x type problem or all jags) is when you go to reattach the cover, there isn't enough room to get your hand in to pull the clip back over the cover.

If you have kids and a trampoline use the hook shaped tool that removes the spring to grab the clip and pull it to lock the cover in place. Another tool that I actually found worked as well was a nail puller ( not sure what everyone else calls it but it is essentially just the back of a hammer that is attached to a handle) it also fits into the small space nicely and grabs the clip easily.