X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car will not go into gear!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Car will not go into gear!

Well I think either transmission has gone south or maybe the transfer case but need some tips from you gents to come up with a plan of action.

Mileage 150,530
Jaguar x type 3.0

Has had a transmission leak for quite some time I found out after finding and reading some old papers from PO. Also dealership replaced the trans with a Jatco remanufactured jatco at 51,076 miles.

I have tried the trick of adding 8 oz and trying the car but still no shift. Went ahead and added another 8oz and still nothing.

I was hoping to get it working so I could drive on base and use the lifts there to drain and do the 3quarts 3 times procedure but if I do try it now it would have to be towed to shop.
What do you guys think. Do I have a possible shot of that working?

Thanks for any help. wife loves driving car and I like working on it to a point. This is our 2nd Jag had a XJ6 before and picked this one up as a gift at 100,000 miles and I have replaced a lot and done the valves and tune up so really running nice just not moving

Old 01-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

You don't have to lift car to drain the transmission. You just need a shallow pan that'll hold 4-5 quarts easily, then locate the drain plug (I believe it's 24mm). Drain transmission then refill with 3 1/2 qts of fluid. Then test drive; if something's really broken then you're out only cost of fluid at that decision point. Pictures are from when I changed my fluid. If battery box still in your car I think it's easiest to remove it and the battery. Turkey baster tube and a funnel worked great for me. If you do this, measure how much you drained; it should be about 3.5 to 4 quarts. If less than that comes out (and refilling gets you going again) then there's the answer to no motion. If you can get back in operation then finding source of leak is advisable.

Attached Thumbnails Car will not go into gear!-fill-plug.jpg   Car will not go into gear!-fill-plug1.jpg   Car will not go into gear!-atf-fill.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 01-16-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
The following users liked this post:
geewilicurs (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You could try draining the transfer case. If nothing comes out then that is a very bad sign for the transfer case and probably absolves the transmission.

Pete.

geewilicurs (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 AM

Thank you to both for the replys!
I was actually thinking of the transfer case drain also.
Getting under her is not my cup of tea these days. I am getting up in age and also sporting a bad back, so my times under the car are limited but might give it a shot later today.

Gee

Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Let us know what you do. Don't agree with jagger though - mainly because you reported trans fluid leak in opening post. If you've got some mobility limitations you'll find TC fluid service far more difficult than transmission fluid drain and fill. Have you viewed some of the other posts on it?

geewilicurs (03-16-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Just back from a long vacation!

Thinking of towing car to shop where I can use lift and store if need be. Going to have her pushed in and take her up on rack and check out trans level and anything else I see. Will take some pics.
Will then do the 3 1/2 quarts drain drop her down and see if gear works.

Go from there?

Any comments appreciated!

Last edited by geewilicurs; 03-13-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Although changing the transfer case fluid is a very good idea, the transfer case unit is not the cause of the "failure to proceed" ; it is the transmission itself and not necessarily directly related to a loss of fluid - but the fluid loss may have caused the problem (a fine distinction, granted). The 2002 transmissions had a specific problem which meant that many were replaced - but while JATCO did redesign the faulty part, there is no guarantee that your replacement unit had been upgraded in the rebuild (although it is likely, especially with the 100,000 + miles put on the car since - and these days any transmission that goes 100,000 miles without a rebuild doesn't owe the owner anything).

geewilicurs (03-16-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM

In looking through the previous owners garage paper work. The faulty transmission was replaced with a Jatco at 55,000 miles in 2008.

Anyone know what the adjustment was that jatco did to the transmissions at that time?

Old 03-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

The fault in the early JATCO 506E (which was used by Mazda, Land Rover, VW, Seat and others - so this is not a "Jaguar problem") was mainly caused by a cracked reverse piston. The result of this could be no reverse, a slipping reverse, a poor shift from 2nd to 3rd...and in some cases no 3rd, 4h or 5th gear. JATCO redesigned this piston, which seems to have cured the problem. Transmission failures in 2004-onward cars are rare - or at least not beyond the "normal" incidence of faults. But there were other issues as well: valve body wear in the torque converter clutch regulator and the pressure regulator valve bore areas, resulting in loss of torque converter clutch operation, overheating, delayed gear engagement.
In any case, this is not a rare transmission and any good transmission shop should be able to repair it properly.
***NOTE: the fluid check/drain bolt on the bottom of the case and the reduction band anchor bolt are often confused - and this can be serious. If the anchor bolt is loosened or removed by mistake the transmission will lose reverse gear and will slip in forward gears - repair means taking the transmission apart. Again, a good shop will not make this mistake.

geewilicurs (03-16-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Well after spending a few days in the hospital FINALLY got a chance to work on the Jag. What I did, drained the trans and only got 2 quarts out! That means after I had already added one quart that it had been running on like half of what should have been! Man.
Anyhow did the adding of 3 1/2 quarts dropped car battery back in and started ran thru the gears but nothing!

Oh well I guess time for a rebuild. Went and pushed car out and back to parking spot then just for the heck of it tried it again, and lo and behold it went in gear! Sat there for a while just running through the gears and moving up and back. Then took it running thru the parking lot and she is doing fine! I am amazed that she is moving after such a low reading!?

Fluid was awful dirty so plan is to do powers flush and see how that goes. Any tips on possible finding the leak?

I am down right GIDDY!

Gee

Old 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM

geewilicurs, I recommend you not do any kind of flush to your transmission. I would put a few miles on her, then repeat the trans fluid drain and refill, followed by a third cycle. That should do for a while. I did mine three times, then a fourth several months later when I did an oil change. At that time the fluid looked really good. I plan to do it annually now. As far as finding a leak, put a piece of cardboard under the transmission to see where any drips are coming from. Since the transmission fluid you drained was filthy, you can prolly be assured that the transfer case and rear differential have never been serviced either. Both are a PITA because neither has a drain plug, but you can DIY or have it done if you hunt down the right shop.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-13-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
geewilicurs (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Try some AT-205, marvelous stuff for minor leaks in motor, trans, power steering.

Btw, has anyone tried using a 12 v electric pump to drain the transfer case? Just stick the normal plastic pipe from fill as a remove? Then fill normally. Seems like an idea I'm going to pursue based on reading and YouTube jack car up procedure and one where a guy actually drilled a drain in the TC. The "normal way" got 300 millimeters out, drain plug hole emptied another 250. So standard way seems counterintuitive as you only remove around half of the crappy fluid.

geewilicurs (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 AM

I tried using my evac tool on the transfer case after doing the differential. Would not work as there's not enough room to get the tube in. I ended up doing the service using "tipping" method.

Attached Thumbnails Car will not go into gear!-lside.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 04-14-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Changed wording.
geewilicurs (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Thank you for your opinion, a may put some miles on the cat today and clean off all the pollen. Kind of dirty!

Anyhow maybe I'll hold off on the flush but would like some others with experience with this to chime whether for or against.

Gee

Old 04-15-2017, 05:56 AM

I picked up car today and cleaned her up pretty good, then went on a spin.

She starts off fine from the stand still but when going from 1st into 2nd and 3rd there is a shudder and a kind of slam to get in gear.

Have not gone over 50 yet so not sure how that is going to go. Question: is it OK to drive her and put a few more easy miles? Or should I go and do the 2nd drain and replace to see if that helps the shudder?

Thanks to all for any help! Gee

Old 04-15-2017, 07:29 PM

I'd do the drain and refill. Are you driving with shifter in D (auto) position when describing the shift points? What fluid are you putting in? Spec you're looking for on the label is Idemitsu K17.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Everything is looking rosy today. I would like to warn anyone doing the drain and fill on the trans to always use a measuring cup and not to try and guess how much is enough.

I went out and measured what was left in the container of trans fluid and it was actually over a quart! The meant that I had only replaced 2 1/2 quarts the first time. That is not enough so I added the rest and car has lots of power and a very smooth transfer of gears!

I will be doing the second drain and fill (by measuring!) next week after putting a few more miles on.

As it is right now I truly thank this site and its members for all the insight and help provided here!!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I changed mine, I used a measuring container to pour off half a quart from each of the 3 gallons I was going to use.

Drain
Replace plug
Pour in 3 and a half quarts
drive it around for 10 or 15 minutes letting it run through all of the gears.

I drained and refilled 3 times. I believe I used Castrol TransMax Multi Import.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by geewilicurs
Everything is looking rosy today. I would like to warn anyone doing the drain and fill on the trans to always use a measuring cup and not to try and guess how much is enough.

I went out and measured what was left in the container of trans fluid and it was actually over a quart! The meant that I had only replaced 2 1/2 quarts the first time. That is not enough so I added the rest and car has lots of power and a very smooth transfer of gears!

I will be doing the second drain and fill (by measuring!) next week after putting a few more miles on.

As it is right now I truly thank this site and its members for all the insight and help provided here!!
If you have extra fluid use it for freshening up the power steering system. It uses Dexron III which will also be on the label of what you bought. Use whatever fluid extractor you have to empty the reservoir then refill. Wash, rinse, repeat after driving car. Your PS pump and steering rack will appreciate it.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-16-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Changed wording.
geewilicurs (04-17-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Y'all do realize that there is a stand-pipe in the gearbox to set the fluid level, right??
Why guess when you can fill to the correct level?

A 5mm hex plug can't be that difficult to remove to check the level.

bob