X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Not Available - Misfire Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cruise Not Available - Misfire Codes

I own a 2002 Jaguar x-type 2.5L and I am getting acceleration issues around 3000 RPM's. Basically, if I press down on the accelerator, when it hits around 3000 RPM's, it pretty much chokes and I have to step off or lighten my press before the car can accelerate past that point.

When this happens, the cruise not available light will flash and I have the check engine light on. The check engine light stays on and the codes are p0300, p0301, p0303, p0305, p1313, p1316. The p1316 does not come on all of the time after I reset the check engine light but the others come back on.

I've replaced the PCV pipe, changed the throttle body, cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced the spark plugs and coils on the odd cylinders near the windshield side of the car.

For some reason I don't think the problem is the catalytic converter since I'm not getting the p0420 code. Also, the p1316 does not always come on.

There is a question in all of this and something interesting that has happened recently. I added lacquer thinner into my gas tank and ran it to clean out the catalytic converter (I saw this on youtube from a veteran car guy). While doing this, I was not getting any results as far as my issue was concerned until the gas tank was nearly empty. I still had some gas but I noticed that I could press the accelerator as far as I wanted to and none of the misfires or choking occurred. It was just smooth acceleration and no issues and no check engine lights.

I thought the issue was fixed but when I filled up the gas tank again, the issue came back. I got the cruise not available, the check engine light (misfiring on odd cylinders, etc).

Can someone tell me what the root issue is based on my comments regarding the low fuel causing all of my issues to go away and then come back when refilling the gas tank?

Thanks in advance,

-Vikash

Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

This sounds remarkably like the problems I'm having with my X-Type.

The only misfire code I'm getting is P301 but that ignition coil is new as of last week. This weekend I'm going to start with all new spark plugs and swapping the ignition coil on #1 to one of the front cylinders to see if the problem follows.

I'm getting various catalytic trouble codes, but with the continuous misfires I'm experiencing (not just via code, you can feel and hear them) I'm going to fix that first and hope the cat problems go away once raw fuel stops hitting it.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem. Replaced plugs due to age but problem got worse. What happened? During removal and replacement of upper intake to do plugs, the lower intake gaskets started leaking (worse than before; did not know the were leaking prior) The gaskets were dried out and cracked during upper intake removal/replacement. Installed new lower gaskets and also replaced o rings in MAF. Car is running great but I still have a catalytic converter code left over. So it appears the problem was vacuum leaks at the lower manifold.

Last edited by wolfhamm; 12-11-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: need to post additional info