X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park Aid Diagnosis. (FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Park Aid Diagnosis. (FAQ)

One more down and dirty tip for you DIYers. I don't know whyI keep posting this stuff, probably costing myself a new bike.

Place ignition in RUN position WITH ENGINE OFF!!!, put selector in reverse and set parking brake or if you are afraid your brake cables may be sticky from lack of use CHOCK WHEELS SECURELY, get down on your hands and knees and put your ear to each sensor. Working sensors make a high frequency ticking sound that is easily heard. Any sensor not making noise is either suspect or wiring damage is disrupting power or signal. If you find one not working simply swap sensors hole to hole and see if the sensor works in a different position. This is easy on X-Types due to location but much more difficult on other models. If none are making noise check fuses to module and look for water ingress into trunk spare tire well where module is located. Harness damage and corossion is common on the X-Type due to the exposed nature of the sensors, hell, harness damage is common on all models because the other models with sensors mounted in the bumper have their harnesses damaged by low speed impacts to the bumper. I know what you're thinking "how do you get impacts to the bumper if they have park aid" but it happens all the time and a parked car is just as susceptible to a bumper ding as a moving one.

The following 5 users liked this post by Real_Tech:
David Freegle (04-01-2019), edapol2007 (05-31-2018), Lcgi (11-27-2012), Phiggys (12-31-2018), Richard Rogers (11-30-2012)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Park Aid Diagnosis.

good info, thanks

The following users liked this post:
Phiggys (12-31-2018)
Old 01-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks , that should be FAQ

Phiggys (12-31-2018)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting. My system is not working (stop working) and I was wondering if the sensors were bad, and afterI followed your tip, I concluded that the sensors are fine,and fuses are fine. So, that leaves the module in question,oh well.

Phiggys (12-31-2018)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can hear the sensors "ticking" are you getting a solid beep when first put into reverse? If not you may just have a speaker problem with the park aid. It's not very common but if you're getting sound from all sensors you should at least have the default long beep signifying a problem. The sounder speaker for the park aid is mounted on the rear parcel shelf.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whereabouts on the rear shelf (my bleeperdoesn't make any noise at all when I select reverse)

Old 01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try to take out the speaker, which is really glued down on there, and see what happens, thanks again.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Hi there,

I'm guessing that at first you want to now something about me so I am living in Finland(sorry for my bad english) and my x-type is 3.0 sport awd automatic -01, 140k km's, H&R -35mm lowering springs and 225/40/18 tyres.

This forum has helped a lot and now I finally decided to register so I can ask some questions too.

I have to say that I already did a search about this like month ago and now this thread is here! Good! My parking aid stopped working six months ago and now I tested sensors and those are working. Some of the sensors are louder than others, is that ok? I can hear the long beep from the speaker so the black box in the trunk is the problem, right? Is there something I can do to the box myself? I hope there's some other option than buying a new one witch will cost probably much..?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
If you can hear the sensors "ticking" are you getting a solid beep when first put into reverse? If not you may just have a speaker problem with the park aid. It's not very common but if you're getting sound from all sensors you should at least have the default long beep signifying a problem. The sounder speaker for the park aid is mounted on the rear parcel shelf.
please, i don't know english so good, can you explain to me, where is the sounder speaker mounted ? cause, i dont understand where is the "rear parcel shelf" thanks for your help. or, you can attach a foto if it is possible.
and can you said me, which fuses i have to check ? i only found in manual, fuse number F33 which is inside the car.
because i have problem with my park aid. the sensors are ticking, but no beep after selecting reverse gear.. i have x-type estate.

Last edited by jann; 02-21-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Jann,

Your English is OK.
I can't help you with the fuse question, but the rear parcel shelf is the flat area behind the rear seat under the rear window.

Originally Posted by jann
please, i don't know english so good, can you explain to me, where is the sounder speaker mounted ? cause, i dont understand where is the "rear parcel shelf" thanks for your help. or, you can attach a foto if it is possible.
and can you said me, which fuses i have to check ? i only found in manual, fuse number F33 which is inside the car.
because i have problem with my park aid. the sensors are ticking, but no beep after selecting reverse gear.. i have x-type estate.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:11 PM

you are talking about a space for luggage, yes ? but, where here, is the "sounder speaker" for park aid
and, we are talking about estate, sure ?

Last edited by jann; 02-21-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Wink

No, the parcel shelf is inside the passenger compartment underneath the rear window. As for the exact location of the parking aid speaker I hope some will give you help as I don't know.

you are talking about a space for luggage, yes ? but, where here, is the "sounder speaker" for park aid

Old 02-21-2009, 03:41 PM

i think, you are talking about sedan. but i have estate.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Thumbs up

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 3848
Size:  16.5 KB

FAQ'd

Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Talking

i think, you are talking about sedan. but i have estate.
Sorry, I must have been having a senior moment, and missed that you had an Estate, even though I see now that you mentioned it twice. I was just trying to answer your question about the location of the parcel shelf. I hope someone comes up with the location of the parking aid speaker in the Estate model, as I have no idea.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 AM

It's ok. Thanks for your effort.
But, can somebody write, where can I find "sounder speaker" for parking aid, in x-type estate ? please.
Thanks a lot.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:48 AM

I tested my parking aid again and 3 sensors made that ticking noise and one didn't. I can also hear a solid beep when reverse is selected. So the problem should be bad wirings, not the box. I'm going to take off those sensors today and renew the wires during the week.
First I have to think some solution to cover up new wires from corrosion. Maybe some siliconetube would work. Any suggestions are appreciated

Old 04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Parking Aid Speaker location in Estate Sportwagon

Does anyone know where the Parking Aid Speaker location is in a 05 s-type Estate Sportwagon? I think it's in the passenger side rear door column. If it is, how do ya get at it or put another way how do you disassemble the column cover?

This started out after my wife left the car outside in Seattle while in Mexico for 7 weeks and as it does in Seattle it pissed with rain daily and left almost six inches of water in the spare tire well. While she was driving home she called me to let me hear all this racket coming from the rear of the car. The parking module was obviously partially under water which I determined after she got home. A loose rubber seal on the wiring harness on the top of the rear hatch door was the offending contributer.

Once drained and the module removed/cleaned the speaker was sort of making half squawks and died. If the module was history the speaker should just continuously beep while in reverse but the speaker appears to have died like the parrot in a Monty Python sketch.

Naturally my wife who has managed to live her entire life without Parking Assist now can't f**kin' live without it now. Jaysus somedays I wonder why I even get out of bed...

Quick Reply: Park Aid Diagnosis. (FAQ)