XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Park Assist In Action-Parallel Parking Test

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Park Assist In Action-Parallel Parking Test

I know some people might have this on their car, or are on the forum here because they're thinking about picking up a Jag. Anyway, here are two videos on park assist, when it comes to parallel parking.

Overall, pretty good-but it's not perfect. Probably still parks better than a lot of people though lol.

First video is just start to finish of park assist.

Second video is parking AND review of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by continuecrushing:
BigCat09 (02-01-2017), BruceTheQuail (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Funny story... when I was at the dealer deciding on options for my XE, the salesman took us out in an XJ to highlight various features, park assist being one of them.

So he takes us to their lot, and pulls up between a Lambo Huracan (which had apparently recently been sold to a customer) and another car I can't remember what was, and proceeds to activate the automated parallel parking in the XJ. The XJ automatically inches ever closer to the Huracan on its approach, and I say something along the lines of "so you really trust this thing not to hit that 6-figure car?" I guess what I said got him thinking, as the salesman then deactivates the parallel parking and decides to try a different, less precarious parking spot to demo the parking features on.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:49 PM

haha, yeah.

It works pretty well usually, but we also don't try it that often. Normally its when we have people in the car and we're going over features-and they say, "show us!"

Sometimes the system is SUPER optimistic. My father in law as over, and it tried to park between his work truck and our trash can. Shockingly, it did it with about 8 inches to spare front to back. It had me fwd/rev about 10 times haha. But it did it, none-the-less. The front camera is really nice to have though when pulling up to parking stops and such.

It came with the adaptive cruise control, which I absolutely LOVE. I thought it might be kinda gimicky, its awesome though.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by continuecrushing
haha, yeah.

It works pretty well usually, but we also don't try it that often. Normally its when we have people in the car and we're going over features-and they say, "show us!"

It came with the adaptive cruise control, which I absolutely LOVE. I thought it might be kinda gimicky, its awesome though.
Haven't tried the park assist yet! I either forget I have it or think my parking wont qualify. Really love the adaptive cruise as well. Works way better than it did in my XK. Used it today. I like the heads up display and would recommend that option.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:51 PM

The heads up display is the ONE THING we didn't get.

That, and a/c seats. Those two would have made the XE fully loaded, and the wife was already on edge about what we were getting lol.

I was just happy about getting the r-sport haha.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

We've had the XE for 14 months and have never used the park assist. It is pretty easy to park anyway and I hate getting into tight spaces because one of the other cars leaves then some ******** goes and parks about an inch away from your bumper and boxes you in.

We didnt get adaptive cruise but we did get the HUD and love it. Our seats arent airconditioned either, but I dont miss that as I've had it in a few jags and thought it felt like a hooker was blowing on the back of my legs, I didnt know whether to be excited or disgusted.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
babyjag91 (01-30-2017), mosesbotbol (01-30-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Now I know why mine wasn't working, I did not turn a blinker on for it to know which side to park on. I will try this tonight and I hope it doesn't hit the curb with my new rims.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Now I know why mine wasn't working, I did not turn a blinker on for it to know which side to park on. I will try this tonight and I hope it doesn't hit the curb with my new rims.
You should be good, depending on where the other cars are parked. I happened to be pretty close with the suv and the red car, so I think it bases where it should park off of them-which caused it to touch the curb. Because you're going slow (well, should be lol) you can probably catch it before it hits. Just keep any eye on it of course.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

any dope can park in a big open space, i'd love to see how thing thing performs in the city in a tight space. actually im sure it requires a certain sized parking spot for it to work correctly, where a person can squeeze it into a smaller spot.

the other thing im curious about is how it handles its surroundings. does it monitor the side of the car opposite from the side thats parking? in the city we often get pedestrians and bikers coming up that side

Old 02-02-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
any dope can park in a big open space, i'd love to see how thing thing performs in the city in a tight space. actually im sure it requires a certain sized parking spot for it to work correctly, where a person can squeeze it into a smaller spot.

the other thing im curious about is how it handles its surroundings. does it monitor the side of the car opposite from the side thats parking? in the city we often get pedestrians and bikers coming up that side
Sometimes the system is SUPER optimistic. My father in law as over, and it tried to park between his work truck and our trash can. Shockingly, it did it with about 8 inches to spare front to back. It had me fwd/rev about 10 times haha. But it did it, none-the-less. The front camera is really nice to have though when pulling up to parking stops and such. So it should be able to park in a pretty small space.

Side things...hmm, I think it should see or at least alert you in the mirror. I don't know if these sensors turn off? I might be able to do another parking test, and I can do a small space and get an overhead shot too above the cars.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

thats an interesting thing you mentioned, the car moved up and back on its own 10 times? i didnt think they were smart enough to 'wedge'....i thought it was a 1 shot reverse and pull forward.....if the spot isnt large enough to do that, then it wont do it

Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
thats an interesting thing you mentioned, the car moved up and back on its own 10 times? i didnt think they were smart enough to 'wedge'....i thought it was a 1 shot reverse and pull forward.....if the spot isnt large enough to do that, then it wont do it
nope, it'll go back and forth several times. I don't remember how many times it tried when it parked between the truck and the trash can, but I remember thinking, "wow its really going for it...hey, it actually did it." It was quite a few though.