XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

A puddle inside my XE. No joke.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A puddle inside my XE. No joke.

Seriously. You can't make this stuff up​.
​​
About a month ago, I went to clean my car out, grab some stuff that was sitting on the rear seats, when I looked down behind the driver seat on the floor and it looked like there was at least a half inch of water sitting on top of the floor mat.

Scratching my head at this point wondering if I had left any windows open, since it had been raining on and off that whole week. Even though I was positive I didn't, I just had no other way of explaining how the water got there.

At this point, I go inside and grab a 50 PACK OF SHAMMIES to try and clean up the water quickly and get on with my day.
After about two full hours of work, all 50 microfiber towels were completely soaked and the carpet was also still completely soaked. I'm pretty pissed off at this point, go get a shop vac, switch it to wet mode, and start going in. Got a little more water out of it, and started driving around with the heat on full blast with only the floor vents turned on. I did this for about a week leading up to my my service appointment, which I was going to miss anyway because I was flying out of town for Christmas before they could look at my car.

By the time my carpet was almost starting to get to the point where you could call it sorta dry, the holidays came and I had to fly to Chicago. I figured no big deal, since it's almost dry anyway. When I get home after five days, I open the car and yup, a half inch of water in the same spot. Also, it rained in NY the whole time I was away. Coincidence? Now very angry, I start plotting my way out of this lemon. Hoping Jaguar, like the dozen people I showed this puddle to, would have no idea where the water came from. Seriously, no one I showed the water to could figure out where it came from. I've left windows open in the rain before, the floor is the last thing to get wet after the door panel and the seat. At this point I'm doing research on my next car because I'm so sure that Jaguar screwed up to the point that they'll have to let me opt out of the lease or give me a brand new car. I'm thinking that they aren't ready for it, the carpeting would take too long to replace and install, they're going to have to wait months to get parts from the U.K. just like the interior panel that they fixed in the beginning of my lease (1.5 months for the parts to come.) then there's the mold, rust and possible electronic malfunction issue on top of all that.

Unfortunately after finally getting the car to Jaguar, they had it fixed within four days. All the water removed, rust and mold eliminated, brand new carpeting installed along the entire driver's side floor. I was very disappointed at A, the fact that they acted so casual about a puddle on the floor of a $55k+ car, and B, the fact that after all this I'm still stuck with the car, and still stuck in a non-transferable lease.

Explanation: A sealant failure on the drivers side where the windshield wiper rests, allowing rain water to get inside, where it ultimately collected on the floor behind the driver's seat. In addition to that summary, I got a 20 page service bulletin from JLR themselves which was an instruction guide for the dealerships on how to fix this exact issue. This means they were way ahead of me and that I'm not the only sucker who has had to deal with puddles on their floor of their brand new car.

Trust me people. The truth is stranger than fiction.

Last edited by Slim_bobby; 01-15-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Yes that is frustrating. I had it in an s40T5 (rear seat). I thought the kids had left water bottles open in the back and got all testy with them, but after the second time found out it was an air conditioning drain. The XKs had a similar issue.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Yes that is frustrating. I had it in an s40T5 (rear seat). I thought the kids had left water bottles open in the back and got all testy with them, but after the second time found out it was an air conditioning drain. The XKs had a similar issue.
Having it happen once is bad luck, twice is almost comical. To me it's completely unacceptable to have this problem in a brand new car. There are no excuses for it.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (03-02-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Sorry, when I said "similar issue" I meant the air cond drain.

My first XF (first of the new model in '08) developed cracks in the metal around the sunroof and had to have fairly major surgery in the first year or so. But fortunately even though the first year saw it in the dealers several times between niggly issues and recalls, I then had pretty much 4 years of trouble free motoring afterward, and I've not had any real problems with any of my Jags since.

Fingers crossed for you to have a similar good experience.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

"a change to the robotic sealing process occurred which led to a small area of sealant in the vicinity of the cowl panel being omitted..."

This may be the root of JLR's chronic unreliability -- Poor factory/manufacturing supervision

Old 03-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been raining heavily here, and the carpet in the XE is wet below the door, about one foot from the front of the door. I don't believe so much water could have entered just when getting in and out of the car. It sounds like the above problem, but my car's VIN is not in the range of the service bulletin (it's 9559**).

Old 03-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

This is not only an issue with the newer vehicles. My X type cold not be left outside in hard rainstor ms or driven in heavy rain unless I placed a towel in the passenger footwell. The car would collect water somewhere in the cowling and 'pee' on the carpet. Never did get that fixed.😈

Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somewhat surprising. One would think they knew about rain in Britain!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Hahaha...I just lol'ed at that comment. You're absolutely right. Strange that this issue pops up across several different models and across a long stretch of time. I lived with it but it was unpleasant whenever it rained and I was out on a date. Had to warn the girls that the car might pee on them if they were not nice to me...their reaction was hilarious when the water actually drained out..mlol