XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New XJL and mud flaps

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New XJL and mud flaps

Hi All,

After many weeks back and to the dealer I finally picked up my 2012 XJL in rhodium silver earlier this week.

Absolutely love the car.

I notice that I get dirt splashed up the side of the car within microseconds of it being cleaned. Has anyone fitted mud flaps/splash guards? Any pictures?

Thanks to all who answered my earlier questions. This site was instrumental in my purchase process.

Cheers!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

We initially had our XJ delivered with mud flaps fitted, as we do get the odd spot of rain in London . However, after about a week I took them off. I found them to be aesthetically very displeasing. For me, they really ruin the lines of the car, especially the rear mud flaps. It made the XJ look quite dumpy and clumsy from the rear (I realise this is very subjective, and other people might not be bothered at all).

I suppose it's just a question of whether or not their function outweighs the detrimental visual impact that they have (to my eye).

I have attached the only photo I have to hand with the mud flaps fitted. I'll see if I can find another one taken dead on from the rear (as this is the least flattering angle, in my opinion).

Name:  mudflaps.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  107.7 KB

EDIT: Sorry, can't find other photos right now. I've added a close-up of one of the rear mud-flaps.

Name:  mudflap_closeup.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  100.2 KB

Last edited by macperegrine; 05-31-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added additional photo
The following users liked this post:
Brainstorm (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 You're right! "The detrimental visual impact " goes beyond the pall!!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos. It doesn't look too bad to my eye but I can see your point. I noticed they were just black plastic when i checked them out at the dealer's parts dept. Since my car is silver they would stand out even more than on yours.

Based on your feedback I think I will pass for now. The dealer offers a free car wash for the life of the car so I think I will just use that more often.

Thanks very much for the help!!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

You can now paint flexible plastic with, guess what, flexible paint ! I don't know where you get if from though. It might be an additive to normal car paint.

Here's something on painting a plastic bumper cover....

Paint a plastic bumper cover

Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I have them on my 2011 XJL Superchargerd they are painted the same color as the car. I like the look.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them installed, front and rear, on my SWB XJ w/ Speed and Sport packs. I think they add to the aggressiveness of the packs wheels, and visually lower the ride height a bit.
@jaguarusa XJ looking even sexier, freshly tinted. #Alive on Twitpic

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i think the flaps ruin the flow of the car.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM

This is one of those esthtic things like wheels, color. XJ vs. XJL where it comes down to personal preference. I happen to like the look of mud flaps. Had a set on a SC and putting them on the SS.

Attached Thumbnails New XJL and mud flaps-p6112226.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by m.attard
Can anyone comment whether it keeps the car cleaner though? I'm considering front only as they are more descrete but do a more significant job!
I'm sure the mudflaps help a bit but, I doubt they keep a significant amount of debris off the car......

Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Keep them off, they take away from the look of the car.

Also, don't forget to take into consideration, mud flaps themselves rub the paint off the car. Combination of small rocks getting stuck between them and the panels and them just generally slightly moving around. So, if you decide to take them off down the road, you will have scratched/scuffed body panels in all four corners.

Another reason i have never liked them, as i have had them on previous car.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My two cents, for what it's worth, is take them off. I had been thinking about putting them on mine but after seeing your pics (beautiful car and setting by the way) I think they take away from the lines. Not sure how much benefit either.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Executive
Also, don't forget to take into consideration, mud flaps themselves rub the paint off the car. Combination of small rocks getting stuck between them and the panels and them just generally slightly moving around. So, if you decide to take them off down the road, you will have scratched/scuffed body panels in all four corners.
I removed them from the SC above to put them on the SS and I didn't see any of what you suggest above. You could always put some clear film on the areas where the mud flaps touch the fenders?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by LRDog
I removed them from the SC above to put them on the SS and I didn't see any of what you suggest above. You could always put some clear film on the areas where the mud flaps touch the fenders?
How long did you have it on the SC XJ?

My previous car had it on there for a 2 years i believe and they really screwed up the paint on the car. But, putting clear film is a good suggestion.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Eventhough my XJ is filthy from the road salt and melting of the recent 10" of snow, I took a pic to hopefully better show what/how much protection the mudflaps offer - especially for the front.
As you can see, the front flaps keep the lower side sills relatively clear. (Lessening dirty pant legs when entering/exiting etc...) Rear flaps, though not quite clear in pic, keep rear bumper clear.
Pic of my XJ SWB better showing mudflaps protection. on Twitpic

Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Fortunately in Florida we don't have to deal with salt on the road, however I can see how wet roads will throw all kinds of dirt on the sides of the car and can make it unsightly, resulting of course in having to wash the car.

The question is, do the flaps offset the 3-5 days your car goes without a wash and accumulates dirt in the protected areas?

I think I prefer to see a little dirt on my car, but time will tell.

It's like everything...if you get used to looking at it, you can become accustomed to the look with flaps. I'll have to see how bad it gets when the rainy season starts in Florida...I may just reconsider.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Also will protect form pebbles coming up.
Little chips infront and behind the wheel well.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mud flaps should NOT damage the car in any way, especially OEM-fitted ones. Has Jaguar Customer Service been consulted in the examples where their OEM mud flaps caused paint damage to the vehicle? Just curious?