XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Control Screen Scrolling and jittering

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Screen Scrolling and jittering

A couple months ago, "Air Suspension Fault" showed up and at the same time control screen started scrolling and jitter. Replacing the Front Air Shock resolved Air Suspension error but started a "CAT System Fault" message.
I have another Thread for this error if any one would like to advise. This Thread is for the screen issue. When I start the car, the screen jitters and scrolls rapidly. As time passes by, the scrolling frequency slows down gradually often taking up to 15 minutes to settle down to a complete stop. It will be ok until the next time I start the car. Another member (Aldo M. Martinez) has had the same exact experience (air shock and Screen scrolling problems at the same time) but he has not found a solution for the screen either. Any one interested to comment and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With engaging in discussion with others through another member's thread with similar issue we have come to conclusion that for those who experience touch screen scrolling problems, it has only occurred when the weather was cold. As a matter of fact, based on most threads that I read, other problems could rise with Jaguar in cold temperature including start problems and air suspension leak (DIY still cost me $1100). Apparently, at least the 04 Jaguar does not like the cold weather. This is my first winter with this Jaguar. So, next winter I guess I am better off to hibernate my Jag in a warm fuzzy place during the winter season.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default mine too

i have this in another thread too. But my screen scrolls down and I have yet to see it stop about 45 degrees. Ive only driven it for 3 or 4 minutes though. Pretty scary cuz the dealership said it was working, Im nervous

Old 11-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Was it working when you took delivery of the car? If not, you should have said something then. i'd take it back to the dealer...sooner the better. There may be something in the dealer diagnostic computer that can remedy a screen calibration...can't check it right now because i've loaned out my software n cable. I could check it in a couple weeks though...or just call your nearest jag dealer, if the service guy gives you the 'bring it in and we'll look at it first', try calling the parts guy next. You'd be suprised at what they know from being around the dealer service area so long and what they hear from vehicle owners.

The following users liked this post:
jsupstarz (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM

well, of course the dealer says "IT WAS WORKING WHEN IT LEFT" even though the shipper said it was doing that when he picked it up. SOme shady people in the used car world.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Any chance you have had water in the boot?
You may have a dodgy sync wire on the Nav unit losing the sync wire would produce that fault.
Id remove the the RGB plug and check for corrosion. It would also explain how it comes good when it heats up.

Have a look at my nav thread. Its the connector that I modified

Cheers
34by151

Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM

question for 34 or anyone. Suppose I can't find problem and have to replace it. I was thinking that the heat is connected to the control unit screen, so if i get an aftermarket touchscreen nav like jvc, or panasonic etc. my heat and a/c controls are gone?? SO am i stuck buying a 3k control unit, and this is if i don't find a fix

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jsupstarz
question for 34 or anyone. Suppose I can't find problem and have to replace it. I was thinking that the heat is connected to the control unit screen, so if i get an aftermarket touchscreen nav like jvc, or panasonic etc. my heat and a/c controls are gone?? SO am i stuck buying a 3k control unit, and this is if i don't find a fix
You can keep the controls, see my nav thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...hscreen-79908/

it might also be the nav unit causing the issue as it feeds the video to the head unit

Here is a quick test remove one of the red, green or blue from both ends
you will just drop one colour in the screen so dont worry
Swap it with the one (rgb) thet you removed at both ends

IE swap the red and sync wire at both ends
The sync now runs on the red wire and red on the sync

If you get good sync but the red drops out you have your answer, run a new wire

If you still get sync loss you need to feed another RGBS signal to the head unit to confirm its not a nav unit fault. The easiest way is to fit a video interface for a reverse camera
Drive around with the camera on and see if it happens again. If it does its the head unit, if not its the nav

Either way not a big thing just keep dividing the problem in half and youl get there

Cheers
34by151

jsupstarz (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Default ok

Originally Posted by 34by151
You can keep the controls, see my nav thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...hscreen-79908/

i

Here is a quick test remove one of the red, green or blue from both ends
you will just drop one colour in the screen so dont worry
Swap it with the one (rgb) thet you removed at both ends

34by151
Do you mean the red that's connected to nav unit and the red connected to head unit? I may be a little lost here. What do you mean by BOTH ENDS. I understand they are connected to nav unit but where is the other connection. And if you do mean the head unit how the heck do you get back there? omg, Im sorry im getting better but techically terrible. but unfortunatley i will have to do this on my own , called stero audio shop they said nothing they can do

Oh and i saw your post but the 05 str has it all as part of the same unit, the one you pictured i believe is different , it has seperate heat controls

Last edited by jsupstarz; 11-14-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: adding
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member

Are you saying you have no nav unit?

The denso nav runs the video
there are 5 wire that run from the nav to the head unit
These carry the RGBs signals

IE
Red
Green
Blue
Sync
Shield

If you loose the sunc you will get scrolling
If you loose the red the red will go from the pictures and so on

So an easy way to test an intermittent fault on sync is to swap over the sync wires with one from one of the colors

So rather than sync dropping out it will be the colour
If this test changes your fault you need to fix or run a new wire

Cheers
34by151

jsupstarz (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 PM

ok so on the nav unit take the sync wire out and replace it with lets say red (unplug red and plug it to sync) if red drops out that's a positve for new wire? And plug sync into where red used to be? Am i getting it (probably not LOL)

Old 11-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thats right swap the red with the sync at the nav and at the head unit

You then have all the rgbs wires connected correctly at the nav and the head unit
The only difference is the sync synal usies the wire meant for the red signal and vice versa

As far as the Nav and head unit are concerned the correct signal sill go to the correct places.

All you have done is used a different wire to connect them

If your fault then changes from losing sync to loosing red you have your answer a dodgy wire. If you are still loosing sync it is either the nav or head unit.

The only way to work that out is to send a signal to the head unit that is not from the nav.
IE wire in a video interface for a reverse camera
If you still loose sync its the head unit and have it repaired or replaced
If you dont its the nav, junk it and get something decent. See my nav replacement thread for that

Cheers
34by151

Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM

I found a control screen and switch off used 2005 jag s type r (WHAT I HAVE) for 399. Im thinking to buy it even if before i found out what the problem is just in case it is the unit, instead of throwing 3-4k + on one, what do you think, even if i don't need it I could always sell it for that right?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen head units quite cheep on ebay from time to time.
I'd invest in a video interface first allowing you to feed a signal to the head unit independent of the nav. That will eliminate the nav from the problem (assuming its not the wiring)

If it is the head unit wait for a cheap one on ebay

Cheers
34by151

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM

yeah i saw the nav bypass interface on ebay like 240$ it says it alows you to connect dvd players or back up cameras, that's what ur talking about correct. its a little black box with wires coming out of it.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

This is the one I'm using

Universal RGB Low-End Car Video Interface. Car Solutions Online Store

$140

2 RGBS inputs (one for the sd nav and an aftermarket nav)
1 Rear camera input
2 Video inputs

Each input can be enabled vis dip switch. So when switching it does not select inputs your not using.

Switching is done via supplied switch on a lead or via IR remote

There is also an output for each input, you can wire this up to a relay to change your audio sources when you select a video in

The upshot is any interface will do as it takes the CVBS camera signal and generates RGBS for the head unit. So the signal going to the head (including the sync) is independent of the nav.

Another interesting thing is the RGBS uses a 15khz sync signal rather that the modern 30khz. This was the same CGA signal the was used in the early arcade video game machines. Ive got a spare converter that gives the correct GSBS-15hz from HDMI and VGA. Not sure if i'm going to use it yet or not

Cheers
34by151

jsupstarz (11-17-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Ok got the verdict. It is the control unit. The touch screen is warped so it thinks your fingers touching all over the place as it warms it expands back to normal or mostly normal. need new head unit, used one is 399$ and dealer said he will help pay for it. So that's good news I guess!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

The touch screen is just a membrane over the display. That can easily be replaced but even if it warped it won't produce an image issue with the image

If you wait till the weekend i will have my head unit apart to install a new intercept board on the touch membrane.

I'll be taking pictures of the internals so that may help and posting in my nav thread

Cheers
34by151

jsupstarz (11-20-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM

VIDEO OF SCROLLING PROBLEM 05 STR

Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member

Looked at the video.

Need to check out the internals of the head unit for you but I think I have the fix.
As I said before i will have my head unit out on the weekend to modify the internals.

Il see if I can find the adjustment you need to fix the head unit

Cheers
34by151

Last edited by 34by151; 11-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.
jsupstarz (11-22-2012)

Quick Reply: Control Screen Scrolling and jittering