XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Quest For 450 Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

From what Cambo describes its more than that. The actual code is way different and sounds more straightforward in the 2006 on cars. I am sure the processor is more powerful as well.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Thoughts on the Quantum remap by Martin Rowe, UK? Looks like he has done pre-06 cars...
STR Remap

Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Didn't realize pulling the ECU was that difficult Cambo! Screw that for a 50/50 shot and the possibility of only a 10 WHP gain or a DOA...Does anyone have hard facts as to what a 1.5 lb pulley will gain in torque and horsepower on the factory tune?

Old 10-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-thread-79842/

Bone stock 320rwhp on a DD Dyno and gain of 16rwhp and 21rwtq from the pulley alone netting 355rwhp and 360rwhp with the intake and x-pipe. I think a tune and cats could have pushed this to around 380rwhp. For what it's worth another member dyno'd his STR on the same dyno and made less power but trapped 109mph in the quarter.

I hope to dyno soon too with my new blower and will share the results, hoping for over 400rwhp but dyno will confirm. Certainly much more powerful than before, but I blew the stock idler from putting on a TINY pulley so have made a larger SS idler pulley to compensate. Just waiting on the new heavy duty Gates belt now.

Last edited by JagSTR2004; 10-11-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Thoughts on the Quantum remap by Martin Rowe, UK? Looks like he has done pre-06 cars...
STR Remap
Without dyno results though... As you have the X358 I think Cambo can just flash your ECU via OBD as discussed? Apologies if I cause Cambo to repeat himself.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone have the full specs on the NA and SC camshafts? Might be a mix/match scenario that could work better than stock (certainly not ideal) for significantly less than custom ground cams.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by oilstain
Anyone have the full specs on the NA and SC camshafts? Might be a mix/match scenario that could work better than stock (certainly not ideal) for significantly less than custom ground cams.
Have been through the camshaft specs, here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...l-4-2l-141202/

Long story short, the VVT cams actually have a shorter duration, because they get "additional" duration from the VVT, so putting a VVT cam in a non-VVT application is actually a step backwards.

Our plan at the moment of retarding the non-VVT intake cam by ~20 degrees or so will get the cam timing in the upper rev range to more or less where it is in the VVT engines. There would be a bit of a torque/power loss in the low to mid range, but frankly I think we can afford to lose a little there...

Originally Posted by JagSTR2004
Without dyno results though... As you have the X358 I think Cambo can just flash your ECU via OBD as discussed? Apologies if I cause Cambo to repeat himself.
Alec's car is actually a 2003-build that was facelifted, it's running the older setup.

Originally Posted by JagSTR2004
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-thread-79842/

Bone stock 320rwhp on a DD Dyno and gain of 16rwhp and 21rwtq from the pulley alone netting 355rwhp and 360rwhp with the intake and x-pipe. I think a tune and cats could have pushed this to around 380rwhp. For what it's worth another member dyno'd his STR on the same dyno and made less power but trapped 109mph in the quarter.
The 109mph trap confirms he was making close to that power level.

Originally Posted by JagV8
Is it because the earlier (2003-4 etc) cars use the Denso with two cpus inside whereas the later ones have a single but much faster cpu?
Originally Posted by jackra_1
From what Cambo describes its more than that. The actual code is way different and sounds more straightforward in the 2006 on cars. I am sure the processor is more powerful as well.
The Denso32 in the 03-05 cars has a different coding (it's like a different language even), and the way that the file get's loaded into the CPU's is different (actually similar to the Denso PCM used in the AJ26 and AJ27 from the X308/X100, but different again) and the worst part it has a 2nd set of checksums that are not following any normal CRC methods.

Whereas the later Denso's are really very simple in comparison, and are basically the same all the way up to the last of the Denso cars (the 5.0L XK/XKR of 2014) and are more or less an open platform now...

Last edited by Cambo; 10-11-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Have been through the camshaft specs, here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...l-4-2l-141202/

Long story short, the VVT cams actually have a shorter duration, because they get "additional" duration from the VVT, so putting a VVT cam in a non-VVT application is actually a step backwards.
Thanks Cambo, I completely forgot that the NA cars had VVT when the SCs didn't. If they didn't have VVT, the NA cams might have been useful.

Thanks for the link, I didn't see that thread. I don't stray far out of this forum, I'll go see what I can get into on that one.

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

[QUOTE=Cambo;
But he had a breakthrough just yesterday actually, so we are getting closer...[/QUOTE]

Nice to see there is some progress happening in the back ground ! Thanks cambo & co.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Front page news!

Noble quests indeed. Figured the front page would want to follow along too...
One Man's Noble Quest to Get 450 Horsepower Out of His Jaguar XJR - JaguarForums

Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Reading through this thread just wondering if there are any good alternatives to tuning 2006 and up XJRs that do not cost an arm an a leg. Any ideas?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 PM

Yes, I/we have a tune for 2006 up XJR. As for the cost, depends how much your arms and legs are worth...

Pity you aren't closer to Fort Worth, then Bob Gauff could have flashed our tune into your car.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Yes, I/we have a tune for 2006 up XJR. As for the cost, depends how much your arms and legs are worth...

Pity you aren't closer to Fort Worth, then Bob Gauff could have flashed our tune into your car.
Hmm, arms and legs are overrated! Who needs them.

Let's suppose I get the intake pipe and pulley, what would you estimate my HP gains would be when combined with your tune? I also have an X-Pipe in place of the resonators.

Are you able to remotely tune? If you do, can you pm me the details and price unless you don't mind posting for everyone to see.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 PM

Doing it remotely is no problem but you need to have an IDS/SDD at the car that we can dial into with Teamviewer. Bob has all that gear but I don't know if he'd be cool about sending it out. There are a few other forum members in the US with a VCM and IDS/SDD but no-one else is nearby to you...

As for the power, we haven't had a car on the dyno yet, just a road test, from behind the wheel there's quite a noticeable difference but putting numbers to it is just guessing. We're planning to put the tune in Caldoofy's car shortly and he wants to get some dyno runs before & after so that will be the answer.

I would probably hold off on the pulley at first, and if you did go for a pulley don't get the smallest one, the one that doesn't need the snout machined is probably better as it doesn't overdrive the blower as much.

I think the logistics of getting the IDS/SDD to the car will be a bigger challenge than the cost of the tune...

Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 PM

Doing it remotely is no problem but you need to have an IDS/SDD at the car that we can dial into with Teamviewer. Bob has all that gear but I don't know if he'd be cool about sending it out. There are a few other forum members in the US with a VCM and IDS/SDD but no-one else is nearby to you...

As for the power, we haven't had a car on the dyno yet, just a road test, from behind the wheel there's quite a noticeable difference but putting numbers to it is just guessing. We're planning to put the tune in Caldoofy's car shortly and he wants to get some dyno runs before & after so that will be the answer.

I would probably hold off on the pulley at first, and if you did go for a pulley don't get the smallest one, the one that doesn't need the snout machined is probably better as it doesn't overdrive the blower as much.

I think the logistics of getting the IDS/SDD to the car will be a bigger challenge than the cost of the tune...
Good copy. I will keep following this thread.

Last edited by BlacXJRcat; 10-13-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaguar Forums Editor
Noble quests indeed. Figured the front page would want to follow along too...
One Man's Noble Quest to Get 450 Horsepower Out of His Jaguar XJR - JaguarForums
ha, this is by no means ONE mans quest . nor is it just the XJ forum members along for the ride . I'm just as eager i think . and it seems we are close .
fingers x'ed aye . it seems there is a lot of interest in this and a wide spread in put . but it seem cambo & co are carrying a lot of load at the moment , to help produce the last 10 or so HP NEEDED . I'm wishing him luck .

Old 10-12-2016, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports
ha, this is by no means ONE mans quest . nor is it just the XJ forum members along for the ride . I'm just as eager i think . and it seems we are close .
fingers x'ed aye . it seems there is a lot of interest in this and a wide spread in put . but it seem cambo & co are carrying a lot of load at the moment , to help produce the last 10 or so HP NEEDED . I'm wishing him luck .
Actually there is one guy in the background whittling away at this tune problem, and it's been a massive effort on his part, i'm just the front man because he's too busy working on these projects to spend time on the forums. So I don't want to take any credit for it, it's all him really.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Actually there is one guy in the background whittling away at this tune problem, and it's been a massive effort on his part, i'm just the front man because he's too busy working on these projects to spend time on the forums. So I don't want to take any credit for it, it's all him really.
Yes I understand, but without the front man we would pretty much have no hope . I'm very grateful for his efforts aswell he deserves huge credit for tackling sutch a project , let alone actually cracking it ! Sure hope he does , best of luck to him with it as well !

Old 10-13-2016, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
I agree and am not pleased with the focus on me to say the least! I was really shocked when I logged on yesterday.

My quest was not for 450 hp but to simply increase hp as much as economically, for me, possible using information posted by others in the forum.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 AM

Alright, now we are getting somewhere... this is for the 2003-2005 STR/XJR/XKR, trying to implement as many of the improvements from the later model tunes as possible.

Short list:

Quest For 450 Horsepower-fuel-table.jpg
Air fuel ratio 11.5:1 at WOT
(instead of 10.5:1, also part load and idle mixture adjusted)

Quest For 450 Horsepower-spark-advance.jpg
Bit more spark advance
(but nothing too crazy)

Quest For 450 Horsepower-throttle-map-revised.jpg
Revised throttle map above ~1/3 throttle
(now you get 100% throttle when the pedal is at 100%, BUT from idle to ~1/3 it's kept close to stock so you can still drive gently around town)

Quest For 450 Horsepower-revised-dsc-intervention.jpg
DSC intervention torque request. Now greatly reduced at low rpms & half-throttle, instead of the awful power cut when you get wheelspin off the line with the DSC switched on at more than half throttle, it mostly uses the rear brakes instead, with only a mild cut in power, makes the cars without LSD much nicer to drive off the line or in low speed standing-start corners. In the graph you can see the stock map with the revised one overlaid. The DSC will still function as normal from idle to low rpm if you are faced with very slippery conditions.

Quest For 450 Horsepower-torque-limitation.jpg
Torque limitation. Well yeah, it's gone... basically no more holding back. It'll go as far as the cams and Heaton will let it now...

A few other little details but this is the guts of it.

Essentially this is the same as his revised tune for the 2006 onward STR and XJR, but obviously without the VVT changes, because there isn't any VVT to adjust...

One matter which is still open is to address is the ignition timing retardation based on charge temperature (IAT2) this isn't a map as such it's a multiplier and he needs to know the output voltage of the sensor vs. temperature.

This has been one of those things on my "to do list" for a while but now it's a #1 priority... pulling timing because of increasing IAT2 temps is something that also robs power from these engines in the top end... and this is one of those things in the 2003-2005 cars that isn't an issue on the later models...

The following 5 users liked this post by Cambo:
alecescolme (10-14-2016), Datsports (10-13-2016), jackra_1 (10-13-2016), JagSTR2004 (10-13-2016), oilstain (10-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Quest For 450 Horsepower