XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Volunteers - smartphone audio streaming device test

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts
Default Volunteers - smartphone audio streaming device test

Member veffremov in California has developed a CD-changer replacement device that allows audio streaming from a smartphone (via bluetooth).

He is looking for one or two members with either an XJ8 (X350 or X358), X-Type or S-Type (2004 onwards) with D2B optical audio system who would like to test the device, share their experience and ultimately help him improve the product.

Full details in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...4/#post1143623

Even if you can't help out, please check the thread and give him some feedback.

Graham

Old 05-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Getting ready to expand the offering. Forum members would receive a special price of $299 + shipping (Continental US shipping should be less than $10, other places vary quite a bit).

Please fill this form if you would be interested in this offer:
http://goo.gl/forms/A5HUrBLLoR

I would offer full refund (less the shipping) if you are unhappy with the performance of the device for 90 days - just send the device pack to me.

One year repair warranty. If I'm unable to repair the device you will get a refund even if 90 days have passed. After one year, I would continue to support all customers, but that is on a best effort basis.

I have very limited production capacity, so from the registered users I would randomly select batches of 5 per week. You are not required to pay for the device until I have one ready for you to ship.

Production would start mid or end of June - depending on how I fare after my surgery.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Good luck with your surgery. Looking forward to getting your device!

The following users liked this post:
veffremov (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Great news

I sent the form you set up. I am pleased to see this coming to a fully ready product. Hope all goes well with the surgery. By the way, I do NOT have a CD Changer mounted, and would prefern NOT to add one as this solution is more elegant and modern, vs 25 year old tech that Jaguar put in these premium sedans. It has been the bane of owning an 06 XJ8L as I am a musician so its been a bit painful. Just fixed my Bluetooth finally - needed a new module in the center console (the workaround Jaguar used to replace the V60 Car phone module). Will I need a different Fiber Loop to use this? I have Navigation in the car and its functional as well.
I hope this brings you the number of sales you wish for - not too many or too few, as I know you didn't create this to get rich and famous (but fame is a subjective thing isn't it?

Looking forward to this - a better investment that a Dension ACM even if one could be found.

Last edited by Blairware; 05-21-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks john,

There is another member in the same boat as you, maybe you can share some parts/experience. Yes you would need an additional fiber loop in the optical harness. Fortunately it is not very hard to add it - you would need an old harness (ebay has a few) and pilfer one connector from it to add to your existing loop.

Here is an excellent guide how to splice these optical cables from the UK jaguar forum:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9T...ew?usp=sharing

Another diagram I dew to illustrate what needs to be done:
https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Old 05-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
Thanks john,

There is another member in the same boat as you, maybe you can share some parts/experience.
"""Raising my ✋ in the back""" hahaha

@Blairware, I'm a musician as well, so dealing with the Bluetooth transmitter is good, ONLY because I now can stream, but sucks in sound!!! Do you have NO idea how bad I'm in need for "Thee VeffreBox"!!!

I too have an xj8-l, Nav but no CD changer; it's seems REALLY simple to add a loop tho as long as you don't over-think it like I was @1st)

Old 05-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by veffremov
Thanks john,

There is another member in the same boat as you, maybe you can share some parts/experience. Yes you would need an additional fiber loop in the optical harness. Fortunately it is not very hard to add it - you would need an old harness (ebay has a few) and pilfer one connector from it to add to your existing loop.

Here is an excellent guide how to splice these optical cables from the UK jaguar forum:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9T...ew?usp=sharing

Another diagram I dew to illustrate what needs to be done:
https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing
Thanks for those details. I didn't expect it to be either diff8cult ir complicated, but I did know I was SOL if I couldn't find the correct way to proceed. You have answered that silent prayer and I thank you. I will work on getting the additional connector and get ready by splicing it into my loop. Will your additional hardware include a bluetooth antenna, and if so will I need to put that in the rear deck or somewhere in the interior to get a decent signal?

Really excited about this!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Marque
"""Raising my ✋ in the back""" hahaha

@Blairware, I'm a musician as well, so dealing with the Bluetooth transmitter is good, ONLY because I now can stream, but sucks in sound!!! Do you have NO idea how bad I'm in need for "Thee VeffreBox"!!!

I too have an xj8-l, Nav but no CD changer; it's seems REALLY simple to add a loop tho as long as you don't over-think it like I was @1st)
Yep, I am sure that we can both put something workable together. Have you found a used loop yet that can be canabalized for connectors? If not perhaps we could split the cost of an ebay loop, and each grab one connector off of it. Feel free to PM me or reply in this thread so anyone can benefit from our experience (and hopefully not from our mistakes lol!) Its going to be sweet taking the X350 and making it truly fit the Forum category of "Modern Jaguar Models" As much as Jaguar thought they were doing something really premium with the D2B fiber connectivity, they also really hampered upgrading the system, which was already difficult for several reasons. Sigh! Fortunately we have some talented an creative folks like veffremov finding solutions for the shortsightedness of Jaguar on infotainment solutions. It just keeps getting better! Let me know how I can help you get to the goal. Glad to help any way I can.

John Blair

Old 05-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Default DITTO ALL of what you said John

& actually, I bought the last of the straight end fiber loop on eBay (@least the ONE connector one) so, I'll hit you once I get it, & you just shoot me half & I'll send you the extra part of the loop...

Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow, this is awesome! I've read through the posts and the Google Docs info, but I have one dumb question:

When you don't have a factory changer fitted (but do have Jaguar voice / nav and blue tooth phone), do you still have to fit the additional cable splice?

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Broken_Spanners
Wow, this is awesome! I've read through the posts and the Google Docs info, but I have one dumb question:

When you don't have a factory changer fitted (but do have Jaguar voice / nav and blue tooth phone), do you still have to fit the additional cable splice?

Thanks!

Jeff
Hey Jeff, no dumb questions here; (most the time! Haha)

But yeah, anytime you add something, there has to be an extra loop added. You "could" have 1 laying around, but you'd have to check. Either way, it'd have to be an additional loop to add something new...

The following users liked this post:
Broken_Spanners (05-25-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Default Volunteers - smartphone audio streaming device test

VEFFREMOV IS A FARKIN GENIUS!!! I a/b'd it with a CD (same track, same audio settings) & I really could not hear any differences!!! & it was/is a breeze to hook up. Mind you, I do not have a CD CHANGER, so I'm saying that to say it's literally plug & play! I purchased 1 extra loop of eBay, sliced them, daisy chained, & voila!!! You do NOT have to go to the dealer to get them to activate anything!..

Mannnn thanks is such a small word!!!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:25 AM
Default I know I'm posting everywhere! But,,,,,

This thing really has me excited! & I think (@least as much as Veff can handle) that everyone should have this! Just my opinion!..

I made a video of some of the functions. (Not the install) just having a Lil fun. again, tonite, I road around with the wife good almost 4 hrs just listening to music.

#Veffremov
#ThaMan
#VenBox
#Jaguar
#Flexing