Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bluetooth audio adapter for XJ8, S-Type or X-Type (D2B optical)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:16 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Bluetooth audio adapter for XJ8, S-Type or X-Type (D2B optical)

Greeting audio enthusiasts.

I've been working on a CD-changer replacement device that would allow audio streaming from a smartphone (via bluetooth). You can see the progress of my experiments here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...dapter-120940/

Anyhow, I've worked out most of the kinks and I'm looking for one or two brave souls would would like to test the device, share their experience and ultimately help me improve the product.

Requirements:
- you must have XJ8 (x350 or x358), X-Type of S-Type (2004+) with D2B optical audio system.
- you must have a CD-changer in the trunk, that you are not in love with.
- some experience with computers, so we can troubleshoot problems.
- you understand the product is still experimental and some kinks may be present.

The device would replace your CD-changer. You would be able to plug the changer back if you are unhappy with the device.

In exchange for you valiant effort I would offer the device at cost - $180 + whatever it costs to ship to you. If you are utterly unhappy with the experience, just send the device back and I will refund the $180 back to you.

This offer is limited to only 2 people, preferably in the continental US. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by GGG; 05-21-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add CLOSED; OPEN again
The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-23-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Good effort - you've put a lot of work in.

Have you got your 2 testers yet? If not, I can put a post in X350, X-Type and S-Type tech forums pointing to your thread here.

Let me know if this would help.

Graham

Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 AM

No taker so far. I would appreciate your help Graham.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I would love to volunteer, but my x350 is in the shop after getting rear ended by some punk kid who was staring at his phone...

If I get it back in a reasonable time, I'll reach back out to you. Interested in your progress.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
No taker so far. I would appreciate your help Graham.
I've put a thread in S-Type:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...e-test-135194/

X-Type:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-test-135193/

and X350:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-test-135191/

Each has a link back to this thread so you should get some further response and hopefully some volunteers.

Graham

veffremov (02-20-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I volunteer as tribute! :P Hit me with details. Also, what city? I'm at the southern tip of Orange County so maybe we can meet up at some point to do this instead of shipping it out.

Last edited by Riomaa; 01-21-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:24 AM

Thanks Graham.

@Riomaa, i sent you a PM.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

Hit me up too. Willing to volunteer. Does the existing cd changer need to be operational? If so, I would not be a candidate. I get CD Err when I select the cd changer button.....

veffremov (02-20-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 04:00 PM

Thanks to all volunteers and forum members. The offer is now tentatively closed.
We'll keep you updated on the progress.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I think this is a fantastic idea and worthy of a Kickstarter project maybe?

top 10 crowdfunding websites.

You can never place your sights too high !!!

veffremov (02-20-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default One more?

I have an 06 X350 (XJ8L) that my biggest dissapointment has been the inability to easily modernise the audio system. My current plan is to pick up a Dension Gateway 500 Lite D2B version to at least have some Aux input. I am a musician, but also a Jaguar lover, which has turned out to be opposing forces at least as far as the X350 is concerned. My car does NOT have the Premium Stereo and based on the lackluster X308 Harmon Kardon System I had in my X308, I am not looking to even try to retro fit the Alpine upgrade that Jaguar used in the X350's.

I realize you have your test subjects, but would appreciate if I could be next up if for any reason you need another, or at the very least you could make me aware as you come close to production ready.

I am in the process also of adding a used CD Changer as I only have the single CD in dash - in a car that sold for $64k in 06 that's pretty lame.

Does anyone know if the D2D harness I have would connect a changer without swapping the harness or adding to it? The Specs Jaguar released in late 03 said the car was "Pre-wired fo the addition of a CD Changer, but that could exclude the fiber harness or loop required I imagine.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 PM

@Blairware, The optical cable should be easy to spot in the trunk. If you don't have any devices connected to the optical bus it would need to be "activated".

This is done with the Jaguar SDD software, you essentially need to tell the head unit that there is a CD-changer, so it will start looking for it when you turn the power on.

A dealer can easily do this, but depending on their good will it could be between free and $$$.

Blairware (02-12-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Blairware, if you need a fiber optic loop to add for the changer, let me know. I have extra.

Blairware (02-12-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you build something that interfaces with the stock optical system and dumps out full range RCA output to go to amps? There are a number of products out there that will line convert, but all have their drawbacks (mostly expense).

Please consider it!

Old 02-11-2015, 03:58 AM

I think I can, but let's finish this one first.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

@Blairware, The optical cable should be easy to spot in the trunk. If you don't have any devices connected to the optical bus it would need to be "activated".

This is done with the Jaguar SDD software, you essentially need to tell the head unit that there is a CD-changer, so it will start looking for it when you turn the power on.

A dealer can easily do this, but depending on their good will it could be between free and $$$.
I assume I have an activated optical run at least since I have Navigation and the DVD player for it running. I guess my question should be does the loop include a connection for the CDC or would I need to patch in another section onto the harness (OEM of course) I also have the Phone PSE, not sure if that is also on the same run, but I get the impression that they put all of the entertainment equipment on the same loop to facilitate everything communicating via data instructions as well as the actual media. For example pressing the phone button on the steering wheel would send an instruction to mute the audio signal, but it all travels the same fiber loop (in-band and out of band?) I wish there was a penultimate guide to these setups vs. the scattered bits of detail I have been finding. Anyone know the best source of info on Jaguars D2B setups?

Originally Posted by H20boy
Blairware, if you need a fiber optic loop to add for the changer, let me know. I have extra.
Much appreciated - I am planning to get in there for a look soon. I guess what I do is patch into the main loop with a connection for changer, correct?

I am also seriously looking into grabbing the later model PSE phone module that had the Bluetooth module (BTUM) incorporated, vs. a separate BTUM in the center console that was a workaround replacing the original analog motorola phone (v60 I believe). It's not that I believe one works better than the other, though that is possible - it's more that I think I have a better chance of finding the newer combined unit for a fair price vs the $500 + folks want for the console mounted BTUM. It's only a single PCB in a plastic housing - look like it would be $3-5 to manufacture. But thee solutions are proprietary and getting harder to find. Sigh! I want to have the built in Bluetooth, that allows such things as dialing a number found by Navigation as a POI, or simple having a "Recent calls" list on the touch screen. I like when things work as designed. Hate it when they don't, and so my search goes on.

Thanks for the info guys. H20Boy - I will let you know what I find soon.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM

If you have devices on the optical - it is activated. There is only one optical loop for all "entertainment" devices. Look around in the trunk. I found a "spare" optical hop sitting around with a small "loop back" plug attached into it.

Yes the BTUM was originally around $160 - retail. Check eBay there are some on occasion. The new PSE should also work, the only issue is that you may need a separate bluetooth antenna to the cabin - the reception from the trunk is not great.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

The new PSE should also work, the only issue is that you may need a separate bluetooth antenna to the cabin - the reception from the trunk is not great.
That is correct. I think I ordered a custom antenna cable online somewhere for $25 or some such. The connector to the jag PSE/BT combo is standard - for navigation antennas, not the BT 2.4GHz frequency needed, so you have to be careful.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I've put a thread in S-Type:

X-Type:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-test-135193/

Graham
Hit me up - 2003 X-type 3.0 with Nav and Radio - Nav DVD in the trunk but No CD Changer, it's the same radio/nav panel as shown on yours. Interested in Bluetooth/Aux as it seems very difficult to obtain this for the vehicle.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 PM

@solidx, unfortunately the offer in now closed.

Some update: I was working to add support for bluetooth commands - like play/pause and changing of tracks. This is now complete and devices have been shipped to the volunteers.

In the mean time I'm trying to devise a scheme for a small display to be mounted in the front ashtray, so you can see what track is playing and some limited UI to help with the bluetooth initial pairing of the phone.

The following 3 users liked this post by veffremov:
GGG (02-21-2015), lcmjaguar (05-08-2015), Naso--Lituratus (05-10-2015)

Quick Reply: Bluetooth audio adapter for XJ8, S-Type or X-Type (D2B optical)