XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

OK Whilst my car is in the body shop getting a makeover, I thought I'd do a quick post to show what I did to upgrade my sound system.

The car came to me with the Base ICE system, and I'd always wanted a premium sound system which is a rare option in the UK. Now I'm not one of these people who drives around with the music loud and the windows down, but I do appreciate a good sound system. The Saab 9-3 I had briefly had a factory upgraded system and it was very good!

So after much discussion with a friend of mine who knows his stuff about ICE I purchased a full set of Pioneer speakers which have specifications to work well with the factory amp. After removing the base ICE loom and fitting the premium loom, I was able to fit everything in place. The pioneer tweeters fitted into the holders in the A Pillars, and I secured them in place with my hot glue gun. The door speakers screwed straight into the factory holes, and I took the foam rings off the base speakers and glued them to the Pioneer units to provide me with a factory finish. I did however change the speaker connectors to the Pioneer spades to make it easier. The sub is also Pioneer, but not dual voice coil. It does work well and it's specifications are more than enough to work with the factory amp. I used a MDF spacer ring trimmed to the same dimensions as the sub to mount it with, a good solid mount.

So far I'd achieved a nice factory look without having to butcher anything, but I did want to have a auxiliary connection facility. I was well aware of the CD changer hack, but I wasn't really in the mood for all of that messing around. After again speaking with my friend about it, he told me about the FM Modulator he has fitted in his car. It's a very neat little thing and installation is with the minimal amount of fuss. I bought one off eBay for £16 and installed it under the cubby box. To provide it with power I've taken the feed from the 12V socket at the rear of the console, and I've installed the jack socket and power switch inside the cubby box. I actually put them underneath the factory phone to give a nice clean factory look. The system works well and is, for me at least, a much easier option than messing about with hacking the CD changer.

So the end result is I now a nice crisp sound system, the injection moulded speakers are a noticeable upgrade by themselves without the amp. I can now plug in my iPod, iPhone or any other device to provide me with music or superior sound if I'm watching anything on my phone whilst parked up.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3084.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3085.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3086.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-modulator.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-06-2017)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Well I got the car back from the body shop last Thursday and I am very pleased with the results. The car looks amazing now all the paint has been rectified and it's been polished. I drove the car home but didn't get a chance to start fitting body parts back on until Sunday because of the Weather and a prior commitment on the Saturday.

The first things to go on were the waist seals, I knew it was going to rain on Friday so I got these on as soon as I got the car home. The car has black waist seals, the originals were in bad shape though. The aluminium inside them had corroded badly and they were all misshapen. It's very hard to find good ones and remove them intact, but I found a good and straight car set on a scrapper which cleaned up very well indeed.

I had to get a replacement numberplate plinth for the car because I discovered the original had broken studs when I removed it. I got a NOS one off eBay with an X300 part number. Looking at other X300's I couldn't see a difference between the two cars, but when it arrived I was surprised to find it was made out of Die Cast metal. Anyway painted up it looks beautiful, and with it having proper metal studs to fix it to the car I know it's secure too. After this I refitted the boot lid liner, boot lights, number plate lights and the warning triangle.

Next on my list was the front end, I'd selected the best headlights of the 14 I have and the best rings. I gave them all a good clean inside and out before choosing the best 4. After they were all in place, the headlamp shrouds went on then the radiator surround. Once it was all back together I was impressed with just how bright and "sparkly" the headlights are.

I then decided for some reason to dismantle my aerial unit, which I'm glad I did. The aerial itself was very dirty and there was a lack of grease inside the unit. I gave the aerial a good going over with the Brasso to get clean then a liberal soaking with WD40. The mechanism inside the unit got a clean and fresh grease, resulting in a smooth and quiet action on the aerial.

The last thing I did on the Sunday was to fit the 4 door panels, and finally hear what my uprated sound system sounded like. After all four panels were in place, screwed in, veneers fitted and switches tested I switched on the radio. I have to say after going through the menu and setting up the speakers I was impressed. I can't believe how much different it sounds! I was listening to one of my favourite tracks, a song I've played hundreds of times but on this occasion I was hearing things on the track I'd never heard before. Excellent.

Next things are refitting the front under tray, wheel arch liners, the brake cooling ducts and front fog lights. Also the front splitter, front number plate plinth and the radiator grills.

The next major job on the exterior is to have the wheels refurbished, because they look truly shocking in their current shade of amateur grey with an orange peel finish. I'm embarrassed to have them on the car looking the way they do currently!

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3104.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3106.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
Don B (04-06-2017), Mark Murphy (11-07-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Thanks Eric, as you say they will look good once refurbished. It's a shame someone has tried to do their own paint job on the wheels, it really looks poor when you see them up close. However the refurbishment will be one of the last jobs I do, for their own protection.

On the XK which the wheels are originally off they would indeed be 8J & 9J but on this car they're 9J all the way round.
A famous refurbisher of Ferrari Cromodora wheels had an interesting tip
on wheel painting.

He takes everything to the primer stage, then has the tires
dropped on but not inflated. At that stage he does the finish
coat. Then he "pops" and inflates.

The purpose is to reduce the risk of chipping when levering
the tire bead over the lip.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Don B (04-06-2017), Stu 1986 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen this done, it's a good idea. There are 3 wheel shops I'm looking into using and they all show photos of wheels being painted with tyres still on the rims but masked up, makes sense doesn't it?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Beautiful work Stu!

When I got my Double Fives, I did a lot of reading on refurbishing, especially on paining against powder coating.
I finally decided to go the powder coating path for the hardness.

I was present when they installed the new tires, re-emphasized to be careful, and they did a wonderful job, not a single scratch or bump.
It can be done, and as most of the time, it depends more on the persons than the machine or the process .

Stu 1986 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Looking excellent - the XK wheels are sharp, to me they make it look newer in a very subtle way.

Stu 1986 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ixfn
Looking excellent - the XK wheels are sharp, to me they make it look newer in a very subtle way.
Look at the photo of the car in post #1 and then look at the photo post body shop in post #22 and see if you notice the little thing I've done which makes a major difference to the appearance of the car.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really interesting and detailed read there Stu 1986. Along the lines of what I'm looking for so keenly following this. Keep up the good work.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

You removed the strips that run down the sides of the car. Nice choice!

Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan Hiatt
Wohhh, sharp eyes ...

Old 11-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I did this to my car and appreciate the cleaner look

Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan Hiatt
Well Done Dan, +10 points to you!

Yes, I removed these strips as they were weathered and looked a bit naff. Also after seeing how the XJR 100 looks without them I had to lose them, it gives the car a whole different look and visually shortens the car to create a "ready to pounce" like stance. They are fairly useless as rubbing strips as most cars are a lot bigger than the XJ nowadays.

I've not had a chance to do anything on the car the last 7 days because I've been working weird shifts again, but I'm off for 2 days now. Tomorrow I'm going to be giving my little fiesta runabout a service before winter comes in, but on Wednesday I hope to get a few things done on the Jag.

I got a delivery of some parts today, a set of original factory mats which are in almost new condition. The factory mats fitted in my car are ok but the driver's one was knackered. The PO must've driven wearing running spikes. I also got the little rubber footrest pad for your left foot as mine was missing. I also got a replacement J Gate panel as I wasn't happy with any of the ones I had, they were either cracked or scratched. However this one is perfect.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

OK Just a little update for anyone who may be following the thread and is wondering where my updates are.

Basically the project is on hold for the winter now, we've got frost most days at the moment and I'm not up for rolling about on frozen tarmac. Sadly I don't have the luxury of a large garage I can work merrily on my cars in (However it is a life goal to achieve a bigger garage), however I've managed to accomplish most of the stuff I wanted to do anyway. Once the spring starts I'll get on with the rest of my jobs, like painting the callipers, finishing the undersealing and getting my alloys refurbished.

The last thing that is being done before the winter really attacks is my Detailer is coming on Friday to give the exterior a nice good coating of wax. I know it is something I could do myself, however I haven't the patience or finesse for waxing and this guy is the best at what he does.

Happily I can work on my Triumph in my Garage, so I can keep busy.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

It was quite fair today weather wise, and with a day off I found myself bored and restless by about 10:30am. So after I'd been to the supermarket I decided to do something on the XJ, just to give myself something to do.

One thing that had come to light is the Air Conditioning pressure switch had expired. It was spewing all the green goo that makes the AC work everywhere, its made a lovely mess for me to clean. Anyway I got a replacement from a Jag breakers yard, it only cost me £5 so if it doesn't work long term it's no big deal. I'll just have to pay £60 for a brand new one.

The switch comes off with a 17mm spanner, I was worried that gas might start spewing everywhere but this didn't happen. Maybe because it's not meant to or because the faulty valve has let it all out. I fitted the new one after cleaning around the immediate vicinity of the switch and it's wiring connector. Then started the car and let her run for 25 minutes, all seems well. Happy Days.

So now I'm able to start looking at getting the next things on my to-do list done. I sent my steering wheel off yesterday to be trimmed with nice fresh leather, once that's back I can reassemble the steering controls and start thinking about an MOT.

eric: If you're reading this I checked the coolant level before starting and let the air out, topped up and got heat. Must have just been a little air locked. I'll still replace the thermostat, may as well if I'm fitting the alloy cooling tower.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-image1.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-image2.jpg  
ericjansen (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
may as well if I'm fitting the alloy cooling tower.
I forgot what I told you, but I am glad things work.
If you paint the thermostat tower black (I used some heat resistant spray paint in a can), it stands out much less in the engine bay.

Name:  P_20160811_145338.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  167.7 KB

Don B (04-06-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member

Already painted in anticipation, I gave it a few coats of primer and 3 coats of black. I baked it on using the oven, then had to act dumb later on when my girlfriend was questioning why the dinner tasted funny. LOL.

You advised me to back flush the system in another thread, I'll still do that though. I'm going to fit a new water pump whilst I'm in the area, may as well.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Today was a beautiful day in my part of the world, dry ground, clear skies and bright sunshine which was giving off heat! So perfect car playing weather.

Day started at 09:30 when my detailer came to wash the car. It's amazing how much dirt accumulates on a car when it's done nothing but sit on the drive. I have a good friendship with my detailer, so he allowed me to use his power washer and various shampoos to clean the factory mats, they look new now. Just need a going over with a stiff brush to make them look good.

After Chris had gone I turned my attention to fitting the new set of number plates. UK cars came with a larger plate at the rear, 20.5 x 6 inch as opposed to the standard 20.5 x 4.4 inch which is fitted to the front. Jaguar have provided holes and grommets for the screws at the rear and the front plate sits on a plastic plinth. After carefully measuring the holes and using masking tape on both sides I drilled the plates and fitted them to the car. Looks really complete now. I'm just waiting on a big order of parts then I can look towards an MOT.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Last week was good, it's always good when you get brand new parts for your car.

First thing to arrive was my refurbished steering wheel and handbrake handle. The wheel that came on the car was the grey stained type to match the grey stain dash. I've replaced that with the burr walnut set out of my first and second X308. The wheel from this car was sent off to be recovered with fresh nappa leather, the sport wheels should be perforated but I don't like that so I chose smooth. I also sent the handbrake handle off to be done at the same time, and when they came back I was pleased with the results. In the photos it looks like the airbag doesn't match the leather, but I've since steam cleaned it and scrubbed it with gliptone to get it back to it's satin finish and now they match well.

Wednesday I got a call from my local Jag dealer to say the parts I'd ordered via the Jaguar Classic Parts website had arrived. I went to get them on Thursday, I'm very pleased with them. Some bits can't go on just yet as I'm not up to that point but I've fitted my new badges to the rear. They look so good, really freshens up the back end especially with the new numberplate. Just need to get a nice set of exhaust tips and I'm winning.

My alloys are going in to be refurbished in March, so I've bought a brand new set of wheel centres for the wheels. The only way to describe them is beautiful. These centres are 110% better than the cheap items Jaguar are fitting to new cars today, they look handmade and if taken care of properly will shine forever.

So, as I'm writing this I've taken a quick look at my to-do list and there isn't much left now. The car is in a position where she can be taken for an MOT test, and there is no reason why she shouldn't pass. I'll be doing this in March when the weather is better, then I'll be giving the engine a full service and sending her in for her Transmission fluid and updated valve fitting.

Whilst she waits, she's staying out of the bad weather underneath her new custom fit car cover. This was sent to me by a U.S. Friend and former X308 owner and JF member. It's a covercraft weathershield item, and water just beads off it. It fits like a glove and keeps the car safe from weather, dirt and prying eyes.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-steering-wheel.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3318.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3320.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-img_3321.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-rear.jpg  

2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-badge.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-badge-2.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-parts.jpg   2002 XJ8 3.2 Sport Renovation-cover.jpg  
Don B (04-06-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I've been addressing a few odds and ends today, nothing major. One thing that caught my eye was the front seat belts. They were particularly dirty, the rear belts however were very clean.
I cleaned the front belts by extending them all the way out, used a peg to hold them out and then soaking them in hot water with washing powder mixed in. Then I used a stiff scrubbing brush to agitate the dirt, then blasted them with my trusty little steam cleaner. Finally I used my heat gun to dry them out. Definitely worth doing, I'm glad I did it.

Here's a before and after picture of the drivers one.

Don B (04-06-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

OMG!!!
Now that is some result!!