XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Building an XJR Rally Car: Help me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an XJR Rally Car: Help me!

Hi Everyone!

So here's the deal: I've inherited an X308 from automotive writer and all-around tolerable human being Sam Smith. He and I are co-workers at Road&Track magazine.

He abandoned the Jag in Ann Arbor and then moved to Seattle. After months of me staring out the window at the Jag, I hatched a plan: convert the XJR into an ice racer to salve the cold of the Michigan winters. I ran the idea by Sam and got the keys to the Jag. He'll be joining me for the racing after the project is complete.

Here's the problem: I know nothing about the X308.

This is where you guys come in.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this stupid plan a reality. It won't be a full-on race car, but it does need some work. I'm thinking I'll do the following:

-Get the car running (needs a battery and we'll find out what else after that).
-Replace all the fluids for all the things
-Suspension refresh, hopefully with springs and shocks to lift the Jag a bit
-Mud flaps, rally lights, brush guard, stupid livery (because RALLY CAR)
-Wheels/tires

I'll document my progress here. Hopefully we'll get a feature in the magazine out of it. We'll definitely get something on the website.

More questions to come.... Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

You'll be wanting a limited slip differential for this... Can be found in the X300 and it is possible to replace... But sounds like a cool project!

Old 09-28-2016, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 860 Posts

I agree with the LSD comment.

There would have to be some sort of aftermarket spring and shock setup established. From what, I have no idea. This hasn't been done as far as I know. The circumference of the factory springs would have to be matched up to another set of aftermarket springs that would have to be taller. I'm going to take a guess and say 2" taller springs and shocks. The only other hurdle that I can think of is that once you have taller springs and shocks installed is that now you'll have some serious positive camber which won't do you any good on any terrain. As far as the rear is concerned, there are camber adjustment shims between the drive axles and differential. Even removing these camber shims won't be enough to put you into the negative zone. You may have to have the axles cut, sectioned and welded to get into the ballpark. As far as the front, you may need someone with fabricating skills to make you a set of upper control arms to get you in the desired camber zone. Good luck on your project.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the responses guys!

Suspension is going to be tough, but I figure I'll get the ground clearance I need and then try and fix what I've ruined from there. I'll likely go with something like a Bilstein HD with slightly taller springs.

My first step is trying to figure out wheels and tires though. From what I've read, 17" wheels are as small as I can go in the front. Can anyone point me to the correct offset? I'll probably get some steelies for the car or some other used Jag wheels on Craigslist and some studded tires from one of the manufacturers.

I do have some 17" BMW wheels lying around, so I've thought about just getting some adapters to run those at very little cost.

I'm also trying to roll the Jag into our garage. Is there a way to get into neutral without a battery? I have the key.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Ugh, I wish you were closer you would be welcome to an extra set of revolvers I have 17"

There is a torx plastic "bolt" of sorts to the left of the shifter- remove that and stick a screwdriver or key in there and it will come out of Park.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Also, looking forward to the project- I just ran across someone who is going to take an XK8 and do some crazy things to it.... I guess its the season for these cars to begin to become modded, eh?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

oe xjr wheels are 18x8, 5x4.75 bcd, +33 offset, 74.1mm(?) bore. unless it's the brembo brake spec, then the offset is i believe +20?

I don't remember the specs for xj8 wheels, except that you probably can't go with the much smaller dia since the xjr front rotors are larger than the xj8

Old 09-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

RallyJag, before embarking on this journey, can you tell us what size wheels are currently on it? Factory XJR wheels that are larger than 18" will most likely have the R1 braking package and severly limit your wheel/tire combo for off-roading. If they are factory 18" wheels, then you could get 16" Jag wheels (which will clear the calipers) and have a wider variety for what you need. XJR's that have the 18" wheels have the same rotors and calipers as the XJ8.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
RallyJag, before embarking on this journey, can you tell us what size wheels are currently on it? Factory XJR wheels that are larger than 18" will most likely have the R1 braking package and severly limit your wheel/tire combo for off-roading. If they are factory 18" wheels, then you could get 16" Jag wheels (which will clear the calipers) and have a wider variety for what you need. XJR's that have the 18" wheels have the same rotors and calipers as the XJ8.
The only XJR's that had wheels bigger than 18" were the XJR100's, and possibly specially optioned R1 package cars with Detroits or Paris wheels. The regular R1 package came with 18" Detroit wheels, which are 8.5" wide, rather than 8, and the design of the spokes gave more clearance for the larger calipers.

I very much doubt the OP will have Brembos, otherwise he would have mentioned it

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (10-02-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Worth getting hold of JTIS (workshop manual) and Tech Guides and read a lot. Free download or very cheap on ebay etc.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grandell
I very much doubt the OP will have Brembos, otherwise he would have mentioned it
The op did say they knew nothing about these cars so I was just trying to get a little more information.

I stand corrected about the 18's. I think I've seen one or two sets of asteroids in the shop but I didn't pay any attention to what brakes it had. We had one XJR-100 but I already knew what it had for brakes. The rest of the XJR's had Pentas with standard brakes.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Everything you said is incorrect. The R1 Brembo package came with 18x8.5 BBS Milans unless it was the XJR-100 with 19's.

16" Jag wheels will not clear the front of any XJR; even the non Brembo front brakes are bigger than the XJ8. Perhaps some aftermarket 16" might fit if they're designed to clear larger brakes.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

You do realize that this is a 197-inch-long 2-ton RWD without limited slip, so essentially 1-wheel-drive - your ice rally objective is bonkers, lol, I love it :-) this is like turning an H1 Hummer into an indy car.

Joking aside, the x308 is actually excellent in the snow for a long heavy RWD (which is like being the tallest midget...)

Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...FYcmhgodl7QAOQ

If your handy with steel fab and a welder......An an idea to ponder..something like this that is steel could somehow be integrated into the lower or upper "perch" and that'l give you almost 2''. You could also make or have spring lift spacers made up somewhat along this concept DIY: 2" Lift Kit for Under $40 - EASY! - TDIClub Forums

LSD is a pricey upgrade for a ice beater, been thru plenty of that malarky having grown up in VT. XJR is not my ice "beater" of choice I always had more lucrative experiences with fwd or obviously awd

I say try those bmw wheels on for size, you may be surprised

Old 10-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Ugh, I wish you were closer you would be welcome to an extra set of revolvers I have 17"

There is a torx plastic "bolt" of sorts to the left of the shifter- remove that and stick a screwdriver or key in there and it will come out of Park.
I'd pay to ship the wheels and put your forum name and/or some sort of personal message on the vinyl wrap for the car (if you're looking to get rid of the wheels, that is)

Thanks for the info on the bolt, I'll move it into our garage this week and get moving on the project!