XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Buying an '85 XJS.... it needs some work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Yeah Gary, go buy a BMW instead.
Don't ask the question if you are not going to like the answer.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Gary, these guys have probably forgotten more than you will ever learn about Jaguars
At my age, Monsieur le Coordinateur Régionale, all too increasingly true!

Greg

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
o1xjr (08-05-2014), orangeblossom (08-06-2014), paulyling (08-05-2014), ronbros (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot about the XJS that I do not know. Fortunately the guys on this forum do, and they give their time and knowledge without reservation. I do, however, know a couple of things:
1. My neighbor GAVE me his father's XJS when his dad passed. He and his brother did not want to mess with it, and my wife told him one day I like "projects". CLUE
2. Car had been in a barn for 8 years (date on safety inspection and tags), but had "been started every now and then" CLUE
3. Trailered it to my house. CLUE
4. Got it in Feb 2014, has ran poorly, has never left my driveway. CLUE
5. Local foreign car mechanic will not work on it, says it cost too much and customers get mad at him. CLUE
6. My FREE car has cost me $1100 dollars so far, and like I said, has not left the drive.
7. Foreign car mechanic likened the XJS to the movie "National Treasure". A clue leads to a clue, leads to a clue, and you never find the treasure.
Now,
I absolutely love this little thing. Looks cool, cant wait to drive it, etc. I had the shop space, tools, mechanical skill (sort of, lol) and resources to tackle this car, so I did.
Got any explosives? It will drive you nuts.
My investment is relatively small, and I have wasted more money on dumber things, so I will probably be able to break even some day, if I choose to sell the car and walk away-- happy. But there are a lot of folks out there who spent more time and money than they should have, or had expendable, working on these cars. If you have your heart set on getting this car, go for it. The guys on the forum just want you to know what your getting into, good, bad or ugly.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default student buying jaguar!

Well you can take my life experience with a grain of salt: if you flinch at a 400.00 dollar part this is not the car for you. I had a 1979 BMW 528i, which was more reliable than any jag and i could not afford the parts to fix what i could do, much less thise that required installations by others. Jags are great if you have the cash and time to spare. As a student i am not sure you have either.
Originally Posted by Gary the Wombat
Well I am buying the car because I want to drive it (obviously) but like I said; I'm a student and I don't need to drive it anywhere. I may not even bring it to campus with me; may just leave it at my parents house for when I come home on break.

It's pretty cheap but best of all the interior and exterior are in great shape, and the mechanics are as well barring the knock. The owner was meticulous and replaced everything from AC to transmission to new seats; keeping the thing in a garage and giving it routine maintenance.

I'm mainly just wondering if the maintenance will go above and beyond swapping out a part. Supposedly I have everything I need; is there something I am missing? I suppose it makes sense that it will end up costing a lot, but I was hoping that to get it running would not be that big of a deal.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger95
Geez, talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Tell you what Gary; when the phone doesn't ring you'll know it's me.
Up north we say: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary the Wombat
Well, I think I'm done here. Thanks for the replies.

To be honest, I didn't find much that was helpful. Not much technical data / experience was cited by any of the replies. If someone had attempted this operation before and had a bad experience that would be one thing; but to tell me that the car is scrap metal is simply insulting. I am going to talk to some mechanics, see how much a professional job would cost, and if that doesn't pan out I will work on it myself. Like I said, it's not for my driving use. It was going to be a fun vehicle I could work on, learn a few things, and maybe enjoy driving in the near future.

So you sign up for advice, then promptly ignore it when offered. Don't buy the jag, not only will you not fix it (economically) when the next thing breaks - which it 100% will -You have insulted just about the only people in the world that can help you!

If you have little mechanical experience it won't be for anyone's driving use, it will be a paper weight. The "nice old gentleman" sounds like a wily old fox, playing on your youthful exuberance (and naivety).

If you buy it transplant an engine, it will be quicker, cheaper and more reliable.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (08-27-2014)