XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Generic Lock Solenoids? opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 490 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Generic Lock Solenoids? opinions needed

1989 Jaguar XJS:

I'm trying to trouble shoot the door locks and am wondering:

Can I use generic actuators in the doors? I am adding an aftermarket keyless entry also.

1. If I use generic actuators then I'm assuming I would lose the "central locking" function from inside car- is that correct?
2. any other negatives (if that is even considered one)?

The reason for this inquiry is that the passenger door has a round older style actuator in it (that door is from 88 parts car) and drivers door has later style actuator that appears broken (very loose then handling the pushrod) and before I start messing with all that it seems easier to replace with aftermarket solenoids and a keyless entry.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by bullittandy
The reason for this inquiry is that the passenger door has a round older style actuator in it (that door is from 88 parts car)

That's the older Lucas solenoid type lock actuator. The solenoid action 'throws' the lock linkage back and forth

and drivers door has later style actuator that appears broken (very loose then handling the pushrod)

That's the Kiekert motor type lock actuator. It has a motor and a gear drive to move the lock linkage back and forth.

With the motor system adding keyless entry requires adding an aftermarket solenoid to the linkage. The purpose of this solenoid is to mimic the movement of linkage that takes place when the key lock is turned...which then, of course, operates the central locking system

The solenoid system is relay-operated so its a bit easier to adapt to keyless entry. The keyless entry module simple triggers the lock relay or the unlock relay as needed

Either system is OK but you can't mix-and-match!

Cheers
DD

Old 02-01-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
That's the older Lucas solenoid type lock actuator. The solenoid action 'throws' the lock linkage back and forth

That's the Kiekert motor type lock actuator. It has a motor and a gear drive to move the lock linkage back and forth.

With the motor system adding keyless entry requires adding an aftermarket solenoid to the linkage. The purpose of this solenoid is to mimic the movement of linkage that takes place when the key lock is turned...which then, of course, operates the central locking system

The solenoid system is relay-operated so its a bit easier to adapt to keyless entry. The keyless entry module simple triggers the lock relay or the unlock relay as needed

Either system is OK but you can't mix-and-match!

Cheers
DD
1. So, should I switch both to the aftermarket solenoids? (already have them)
2. And then have my aftermarket keyless operate the solenoids?
3. With the inside door locks only operating their respective door?

Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

1. So, should I switch both to the aftermarket solenoids? (already have them)
2. And then have my aftermarket keyless operate the solenoids?
3. With the inside door locks only operating their respective door?
Sounds OK to me

Or you *could* replace the Lucas solenoid in the passenger door with a good used Kiekert unit. Then, use one of your new aftermarket solenoids (triggered by the keyless entry system) to operate the linkage. This way you retain the central locking from the inside and outside

Cheers
DD

Old 02-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

1989 Jaguar XJS:

I'm trying to trouble shoot the door locks and am wondering:

Can I use generic actuators in the doors? I am adding an aftermarket keyless entry also.

1. If I use generic actuators then I'm assuming I would lose the "central locking" function from inside car- is that correct?
2. any other negatives (if that is even considered one)?

The reason for this inquiry is that the passenger door has a round older style actuator in it (that door is from 88 parts car) and drivers door has later style actuator that appears broken (very loose then handling the pushrod) and before I start messing with all that it seems easier to replace with aftermarket solenoids and a keyless entry.

works for me , electric door openers, NO door handles, cant unlock if there aint a place to put a key. 22yrs and holding

Old 02-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Generic Lock Solenoids? opinions needed-jag-strips-10-22-2012-004.jpg   Generic Lock Solenoids? opinions needed-jag-strips-10-22-2012-005.jpg  
Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 AM

For future searchers:
My scenario, I needed to replace one, possibly two OEM solenoids as well as add a keyless entry. The stock OEM solenoids on my 1989 are like the universal replacements except they have a small switch in them so that if either solenoid moves it triggers the other solenoid. I replaced both OEM's with universal two wire solenoids (all over eBay and Amazon) which theoretically lost my central locking feature. However, because I added a keyless entry system at the same time I gained it back by being able to lock the doors with the key fob.

I removed the stock Jaguar central lock device/unit that was in the passenger footwell, near door hinges. I replaced it with the aftermarket keyless entry and used the following wiring set up:
(The wiring diagram that came with the keyless entry was terrible, it offered negative pulse solenoid, positive pulse solenoid and both positive and negative pulse solenoid wiring options-I used the third option, both positive and negative pulse to switch solenoids.)

The stock wires I used were:
-stock Jaguar 12 volt purple wire for 12 v of keyless entry
-stock Jaguar orange/green wire and stock orange/white wire for the new universal solenoids, can't remember how wires were attached to solenoids but it doesn't matter, after wiring up, hit the lock button on keyless fob, if doors unlock, then switch the orange/white and orange/green in the foot well area.

the remaining wires on keyless entry either get grounded or added to the 12V source-follow whatever manual comes with your keyless entry.

The universal solenoids attached to the stock brackets but did require slight repositioning.

If you've got a failing stock solenoid and want to add keyless entry then this is the way to go.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (02-04-2016)