XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls

All,
I am starting the process toward upgrading the premium system in my 1998 Vert, and am appreciative of all the pioneering work done by all previous on this forum. I have perused the Nexxia website and it appears that they have a fascia that would eliminate the purchase of the Jaguar fascia from the earlier XJ6, combined with the earlier Nexxia facia adaptor FP-14-00.
Can the more enlightened help to clarify. I am contemplating replacing the factory head unit with a JVC KD-AVX77, however I am very open to suggestions for all components or needed ancillaries.
Thanks much guys,
Dave

Attached Files
Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

platinummaker - If the picture that is included with that item (CT24JG06) is the actual piece, I can't see it working... where our fascia hits the console at the bottom it is squared off (not rounded as they show on that piece) - and directly above the head unit is a row of controls for the heated seats, etc. that wouldn't work with that item they are showing. If you look at where they have the screw hole near the top and compare it to our fascia, that screw should be directly next to those controls and their piece is solid. I would think they either have that item misidentified or the picture they show is wrong. I have attached a picture that shows my original fascia and the one in the background is the one out of the 1997 xk8 that is normally required with the nexxia adaptor.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-2014-02-21-08.31.28.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
platinummaker (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Chris. Any suggestions re components. Not looking for high buck concert hall or window breaking thump, but something in the 8-9 out of ten sound quality range. Any thoughts?
Thanks again,
Dave

Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Well, I wanted some power so I opted for the JL Audio XD600/6 amp which I mounted in the trunk... it is a six channel amp that matches up perfectly with our setup in the convertible (2 channels - fascia/dash & door tweeters, 2 channels midrange on the doors, and two subs in the back). For now, I opted to keep the factory premium speakers so this amp works well since it is rated for speakers down to 2ohm which I think ours are rated at...

Up front I installed the Kenwood KDC-X997 with 6 separate pre-outs for the amp (I had to run a set of 6 shielded RCA cords through the console to the trunk - I used a 10' cables and figured they would be plenty but they were BARELY long enough so go with 12-15 footers for sure). The only other wire I needed between the front and back was for the power signal (or something like that) so I just used one of the spare wires I wasn't using anymore but you could just run a new one with the RCA cables if you go that route. The Kenwood is a decent head unit - it has Bluetooth / CD player / HD radio / mp3 input AND the 6 separate pre-outs (which was the key to my buying this amp - I wanted Bluetooth and the 6 pre-outs and this one seemed the best choice for me)...

You also will need a steering wheel control adapter - I went with the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 and it works perfectly... AND a power cord / fuse for the amplifier.

As far as the speakers go, I figured I would replace those as needed and I have to say they sound very good - and I play my music LOUD. I had some people (mostly salesmen) tell me that I HAD to get new speakers with that amp and the speakers age, but I am very happy for now.

So for around a grand or so - amp, head unit, steering wheel controller, amp power setup, shielded RCA cords, "new" radio bezel and the nexxia adapter - my stereo sounds amazing (esp compared to the muddled weak factory sound).

Hope that helps! I will try to get some pics loaded after work...

Last edited by blindside; 05-08-2014 at 08:54 AM.
platinummaker (05-08-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 AM

Finally - here are pics of my install... for the amp, I pulled off the metal backplate in the trunk and mounted a piece of wood to it, to which I mounted my amp.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-2014-05-11-12.58.49.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-2014-05-11-12.14.19.jpg  
platinummaker (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

XKRracer, what product do you use for the filler? Thanks

Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
XKRracer, what product do you use for the filler? Thanks
Straight forward bondo, you could try anything from some kind of resin based filler, JB Weld even but you need to be able to sand it easy without removing too much plastic..... Ordinary body filler works fine and we have had no issues

Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

hi,
This is a message to smoggyx100 or anyone who has posted on this topic.

I read with interest how you changed your standard radio over for an Alpine CDE-104BTi(UK model). I have all the bit's and have taken the console etc a part and was just ready to put it all back together when I realised there was not a connector on the original loom to connect to the socket on the radio for the mic, can not find anything about how the radio connects to the mic/phone kit i have already installed in mine (XKR 1999).

I also have an, audio interrupt in lead, which is on the new radio loom but have nothing that connects to it. I thought taking the car apart was going to be the hard bit!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by amiddlecott
hi,
This is a message to smoggyx100 or anyone who has posted on this topic.

I read with interest how you changed your standard radio over for an Alpine CDE-104BTi(UK model). I have all the bit's and have taken the console etc a part and was just ready to put it all back together when I realised there was not a connector on the original loom to connect to the socket on the radio for the mic, can not find anything about how the radio connects to the mic/phone kit i have already installed in mine (XKR 1999).

I also have an, audio interrupt in lead, which is on the new radio loom but have nothing that connects to it. I thought taking the car apart was going to be the hard bit!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Hi is your car a standard audio (No AMP) or a premium (with an amp in the boot, to the right - above the CD stacker)?

Are you looking to install a seperate mic with the 104BTI? as the sterio negates the need for a seperate phone kit.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM

hi,

The car has no amp in the boot, a CD player but no amp. Has a phone though..

I have a separate mic that came with the radio, easy to plug in a run the leads to a suitable point but though it would look much better if i did not have that and could use the existing mic....

Can you help?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM

hi,

The car has no amp in the boot, a CD player but no amp. Has a phone though..

I have a separate mic that came with the radio, easy to plug in a run the leads to a suitable point but though it would look much better if i did not have that and could use the existing mic....

Can you help?
Sorry that ones beyond me. But I'm sure whitexkr could answer.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice information I need info on iPod and Bluetooth

Last edited by Juke; 08-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks anyhow, was not even sure anyone was monitoring this topic. I will fit the Alpine radio tomorrow and maybe when i have my headliner changed get them to run the new mic to the old location.

One more quick question,
Did you have to do anything to make the steering wheel control work? i'm sure i read somewhere about turning the car/radio no and off while pressing some buttons or something...

Andrew

Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 AM

Thanks anyhow, was not even sure anyone was monitoring this topic. I will fit the Alpine radio tomorrow and maybe when i have my headliner changed get them to run the new mic to the old location.

One more quick question,
Did you have to do anything to make the steering wheel control work? i'm sure i read somewhere about turning the car/radio no and off while pressing some buttons or something...

Andrew
The one I bought from nexxia came with some detailed instructions discribing a sequence to follow to get the adapter running.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 AM

hi smoggyx100,

I have now fitted and find the aerial does not go up when turning the unit on, I can see that the blue wire from the radio is marked aerial power (on the case of the radio) but i do not have a corresponding wire coming out of the connector supplied from nexxia. Do you know which wire I need to link the blue wire to on the original loom?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM

hi smoggyx100,

I have now fitted and find the aerial does not go up when turning the unit on, I can see that the blue wire from the radio is marked aerial power (on the case of the radio) but i do not have a corresponding wire coming out of the connector supplied from nexxia. Do you know which wire I need to link the blue wire to on the original loom?
On my standard audio 1999 xk8. The antenna motor is on pin 5 of the head unit connector. The cable should be light green with a blue stripe.

amiddlecott (08-01-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
On my standard audio 1999 xk8. The antenna motor is on pin 5 of the head unit connector. The cable should be light green with a blue stripe.
Hey guy maybe you can help me.. I'm enjoying the sound of my XKR system but I wish I could play my iPod and use my cell thru a good quality Bluetooth without butchering my audio system. Truly I don't need the old nav and wish it was able to be updated or replaced easily to an affordable current system.

Also the antenna only goes halfway down now and it was working fine. I may just push it all the way down of possible and leave it there. Looks better anyway and probably will not hurt reception that much.

Last edited by Juke; 08-02-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Juke
Hey guy maybe you can help me.. I'm enjoying the sound of my XKR system but I wish I could play my iPod and use my cell thru a good quality Bluetooth without butchering my audio system. Truly I don't need the old nav and wish it was able to be updated or replaced easily to an affordable current system.

Also the antenna only goes halfway down now and it was working fine. I may just push it all the way down of possible and leave it there. Looks better anyway and probably will not hurt reception that much.

Juke There are many options you can follow, new head unit a parrot bluetooth, or an aux connector. These are all detailed in the HOW TO threads at the top of the XK8/R forum page.

As for the antenna I had to replace mine as the threads on the plastic wear. Though mine is usually switched off, so stays down, as I dont use the radio much. In a few years time all radio in the uk will be DAB anyway.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM

hi,

Just wanted to update all that follow this thread and put all the info i pulled together in one place.

I decided Like so many others that I wanted to change the radio in my XKR to something more modern, i.e. Bluetooth connectivity etc. My wife's old Alpine CDE-104BTi with Bluetooth and Ipod controls fitted the bill, and it was free.

Before you start this, unlike me, take out your CD's from your CD player in the boot!!

Things to by, which do appear on earlier pages..

Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2 Jaguar XJ Steering Control Interface Nexxia UK £25

Steering Control Adapter/ Connects2 Alpine Patch Lead £3.50

Facia Adapter FP-14-00 FP-14-00 Jaguar XJ Facia adaptor online at Nexxia UK £25

Earlier Central Console Switch Cover Moulding Part No LJA6318AB £35 from Jaguar

Antenna Lead adapter PC5-28, ISO to Din Antenna Adapter Cable PC5-28 £2.46

30 pin to lightning adapter £30

I also wanted to control when the Antenna went up so also got

Snap-in Miniature Round Rocker Switch Black, from Maplins £2.49

I also removed the Phone kit that came with the car and replaced with a larger 2nd hand Chubby hole off ebay.

After reviewing you tube clips on how to remove the centre console I made a start.
The console came out quite quickly, the radio/heating control's etc took a bit longer, just take your time and don't drop any screws.

The Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2 does NOT come with a cable to power the antenna. It had a lead from the radio, blue, but nothing from the first connector to the Jag wiring loom!!

As it did not just work and I would need to do some additional work I decided I would fit a switch so that I could control when the antenna went up and down.

The original radio connector (IC-10) on the Jag Loom had a Light Green/Black wire, pin position 5. This is the wire that powers the antenna.

I cut into this and wired to the mini switch, the other side of the mini switch I connected to the blue wire off the Cable Harness/ Adapter CTSJG001.2.

I mounted the switch to the right of the J gate.

The radio came with an Iphone connector cable, of course an Iphone connector cable for an Iphone 4 not 5!!, so needed a 30 pin to lightning adapter. Ran this cable to then new Chubby hole, under the centre console.

Turned it all on and it worked!! Then came the task of putting the console back, making it look good and squeezing the cables and radio in a very small hole. Be aware the Jag wiring loom is covered with black webbing that gets everywhere if you unlucky. Gloves are essential to stop you spreading it.

All finished now, will try and add some pictures.

oh one more thing, the steering wheel control works fine with the radio changing volume and station etc but does not answer the phone when it rings I still have to press the phone symbol on the radio.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-wiring.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-switch-wiring.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-console-missing.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-antenna-connection.jpg   1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls-finished.jpg  

Attached Images  
The_Ikon (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Earlier Central Console Switch Cover Moulding Part No LJA6318AB £35 from Jaguar
This is still available from a Jaguar mains dealer in the UK???

Please advise.

Thanks,

George

Quick Reply: 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls