XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak under intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Coolant leak under intake manifold

Just changed my spark plugs,new coil packs, and air filter and oil /filter change,and set the tire pressures, then washed and buffed the car.

Cruising around town at 25mph, and POW!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Some kinda hose under the intake manifold blew open, the car temperature is fine, just a few notches from the cold mark! I'm royally pissed !

The computer turned the car off, as the coolant got all over the engine, and most likely just destroyed my BRAND NEW COPS AND PLUGS,had the car towed to my house.

How do you remove the manifold and throttle body,I cant find a link at all? IVE SEARCHED AND NOTHING

I plan to re-engineer that system, so that I'm using un-destructable police car heavy duty silicone hoses,solid brass elbows and heavy duty steel hose clamps, so it never happens again, if I can.

I noticed the hose looks very weird under the manifold,like a spider.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by aode06

Some kinda hose under the intake manifold blew open, the car temperature is fine, just a few notches from the cold mark! I'm royally pissed !

The computer turned the car off, as the coolant got all over the engine, and most likely just destroyed my BRAND NEW COPS AND PLUGS,had the car towed to my house.

Will the car re-start?

I am very concerned.

When there is a major loss of coolant, the level falls below the temperature sensor, and the car can overheat with no indication except a low coolant warning. There is no electronics that will shut the engine off automatically. If the engine shuts off under these conditions, it is usually due to major overheating damage, often dropped valve seats.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

There's loads of info..... Search for "valley pipes" very common

The following users liked this post:
Andrewesome (12-14-2019)
Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Car starts right up and drive normal, coolant level fine, a little low, that scarred the hell out of me, almost crashed.

The computer reads "engine stalled" on the dash. That's because all my coils got coolant on them,i can visually see that its going to be a sticky mess, on the fresh clean paint while trying to clean it out the engine bay..

I'm just not stupid to drive any car leaking anything, its an automatic tow in my book.

I just need to know how to get to that spider looking hose assembly thing under the manifold ,so i can rip it out of there.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

It's called the octopus hose. Good luck!!

Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM

I spoke to a indy here, he told me I can do the job with hand tools in a few hours if im not a fat man?????, but I may need a special to remove the firewall connections by the tranny if i do the whole octopus, which he suggest back to OEM.

The shop didn't want the job though,several of his mechanics were injured removing the rear hoses????

I'm not going to rip that intake off and i don't got into some trouble,the dealership said to call them back in a few weeks, they are booked as well and don't have time for it.

4 other local indy foreign shops told me, they don't want the job!

Whats the deal here about these hoses??????

Last edited by aode06; 04-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by aode06
I spoke to a indy here, he told me I can do the job with hand tools in a few hours if im not a fat man?????, but I may need a special to remove the firewall connections by the tranny if i do the whole octopus, which he suggest back to OEM.

The shop didn't want the job though,several of his mechanics were injured removing the rear hoses????

I'm not going to rip that intake off and i don't got into some trouble,the dealership said to call them back in a few weeks, they are booked as well and don't have time for it.

4 other local indy foreign shops told me, they don't want the job!

Whats the deal here about these hoses??????
Glad to hear the car is running.

It is not that difficult, it is just that some of those hoses are in awkward spots and can be tough to remove. It is doable as long as you have cable operated hose clamp pliers and some patience.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This should help you with the removal of the intake manifold

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

GordoCatCar (01-27-2020)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 PM

Well ive been working out and lost weight.I have the fuel line tools, and will update progress.

The intake job will be way easier than the timing guides I did, looks very easy.

The hoses themselves might fight,but Ill fix that.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I had similar issues getting my octopus hose replaced. And we did the valley hoses too. My mechanic had ever done all that before on an XK8 and said I better be glad he didn't realize how hard it was or he would have sent me to the dealer!! And it's definately a specialized part.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Have you downloaded the JTIS? It's a great help. And Gus's webpage is invaluable. I did the valley hoses this winter, it took about 10 hours total to complete. XKracer did it in 3 but he's probably younger, thinner, and smarter then me. The temperature gauge is useless, it will only read hot once your engine is seized. WhiteXKR sells a "real gauge" kit that makes them functional. It's on my list of things to do.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak under intake manifold-valley-hoses.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM

I just spoke to the dealership this morning,the mechanic said we are not using the correct removal procedure and no special tools needed.

He explained just remove the manifold,tb and lines.

Use a propane torch or shaving razor to cut the hoses in your choice areas,then simply pull the hoses out of your way to then remove the clamps easier,and that special connector, he said, simply burn it some and it will put right off.

Next you can then remove the clamps with degree curved needle nose pliers or the cable operated ones.

He explained "going after the clamps is stupid,and you risk contracting injury and infection as field mice and other rodents often sleep in your valley to stay warm and protected".

"Jaguar sells the whole assembly so that you don't have 8 different part numbers with the risk of one of them being discontinued or back ordered".

He then told me NOT to use silicone hoses, because the oem hoses are designed to burst shall your thermostat get stuck or heater core clogs up to help save your engine and water pump.

He said he could do the work in just 2 hours, or less, but they have too many VIP cars from executives and business clients, that must be repaired by order of his manager.

Does this make since?

I have several nice torches with various needle tips.One of them is 3/4 the size of my hand and will make cake work out of a rubber hose in seconds. I have the square razor blades as well,brand new .

Last edited by aode06; 04-02-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

From my own experience with torches, be very mindful of what that thing is pointed at. Also a piece of sheetmetal held behind your target can eliminate alot of collateral damage. Don't forget there is fuel in the area. Good luck, looking forward to hearing your progress.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 AM

ok ill just use the razor to cut the hoses,then the micro torch on the special jaguar connector.

The dealership, mechanic say that even experienced jaguar mechanics go after the clamps and special connector and go bunkers and start throwing tools on the floor.

But the proper procedure is to cut the hoses, or burn them,use white out to put dots on the hose you just cut, with the same number of dots o the new line that goes in its place,then go after the clamps with the much improved space you now have.

My micro torch only emits a beam of like 1/4 inch minimum to one inch max, so, this will be perfect to just bake a hose, pull it off,mark the tube, and mark the new hose. The temp is adjustable as well,cost me just 5 bucks at big lots.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak under intake manifold-51699475.jpg  

Last edited by aode06; 04-03-2014 at 10:32 AM.
mike66 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:27 PM

No torches needed or razors, removed the intake and throttle body in 15 mins.
The issue was some dome **** decided to put a new octopus hose on and sabotage the valley hoses !!!! The valley hoses were burnt on the OUTSIDE from someone using a lighter or torch purposely to bring the car back in for service at a later date !!:icon_ evil:

Notice the new octopus assembly on the right and the valley hose on the left,and some fire mark from a propane source! So I smelled the hose, and yep PROPANE BURNT ! ! !

BUT THE OCTOPUS IS SOLID BRAND NEW ! wow! I'm totally shocked!!

Look at the old valley hose on left, brand new octopus on right

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak under intake manifold-photo0004.jpg   Coolant leak under intake manifold-photo0005.jpg   Coolant leak under intake manifold-photo0003.jpg  

Last edited by aode06; 04-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 PM

Anyone know the part numbers for these two hoses,the throttle body gasket, and intake manifold gaskets?

its a 98 xk8 btw, while the cat is down, this is my other toy.Its has a 427 and 620HP

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak under intake manifold-8511a1a992a04e1793ab3fb64a5eff79.jpg  

Last edited by aode06; 04-06-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Looks like you have the job in hand aode06. Thanks for the pictures, they are always welcome.

Suggest you replace the bypass hose on the thermostat while you are doing the job. It has the usual bulge these engines love to create.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM

I'm glad you saw that bulge!

I all this time I'm working examining my octopus, another failure, right in my face.

Got a service history at the dealership, showing the octopus was replaced, but they will not print it out for me because I was not the owner of the vehicle at time of repair.

They had 9 of them in stock, must be a pretty common part failure.

But I need to know the part number for the two valley hoses,the thermostat bypass hose(very short) the intake seal and throttle body seal.The dealer wants to see the car, but it cannot be driven to them.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Never mind, found all my parts at jagbits, thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 AM

woo hoo!! scored both hoses for ten bucks on ebay !!!!
got the gaskets new for $15
and the swelled bypass hose for $10

Very happy !! Will have the job wrapped up by next week and post pics of the misfire due to coolant on the COPS, and the fix for that.

Since the manifold is out, maybe I should clean and paint it,while im waiting on parts?

Last edited by aode06; 04-11-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak under intake manifold