Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 PM

Arrow How Do You Let The Convertible Top Up & Down Manually ?

I like dropping the top down all the time but Im worried about they hydraulic problem everyone seems to be happening. With that being said is there a way for me to manually open & close the convertible top ? Will this prevent the hydraulic problem from happening ? DIY instructions will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,009 Times in 891 Posts
gus@jagrepair.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Gus

Yes you can let the top down manually; however it is more aggravation than it is worth. You can go to my page and read about the process. This system is equipped with switches and hydraulic system that if not satisfied with the last event it will not go to the next. For example if your rams are not fully extended when the top is closed the rear quarter windows will not operate (close).

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 120,000mi K&N Filter
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”― W.C. Fields
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein
Old 12-12-2009, 11:10 PM

Default top

Hi Gus I have read where the rear windows are to go up upon the hitting of the center console switch between the power window switches. This is not the case when I do this function. When I hit the switch i hear nothing. I looked at the 30 amp fuse in the compartment on the passenger side and-it is intact. What can I do? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Panhof For This Useful Post:
linkspider (10-18-2013)
Old 12-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

The rear quarter windows should go up by using the 'raise' button on the shift console but all 'top locked' conditions have to be satisfied before the windows will function.

First try using the manual key to unlock the latch and re-latch it. If no results, check the window lift fuses in the trunk fuse box, numbers 12 and 20.

Next you can choose between manually cycling the top down and back up and latched or pulling the window lift relays and jump the contacts. Instructions for manually cycling the top are in your owners manual. The manual is available at the top of this forum if you do not have it.

The relays are the smaller double relay sets outside the trunk fuse box. Left and right are left and right. Up are forward, down are rear. Pull a relay and you will see a schematic on the side of the brown box. Use a straightened paper clip to jump the appropriate contacts in the relay socket. You also can use a voltmeter there to verify that you are getting power to the relay and also power to the relay windings when the switch is operated.

If all that doesn't identify the problem, come back and we will try again. If it does, please come back and let us know.
1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe - 25k original miles http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,009 Times in 891 Posts
gus@jagrepair.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Gus

I did this quickly because the wife wants to go shopping. Let me know if I missed something.

You are not going to like what I am about to tell you and that is to open and close the roof using the open and close button. Doing this you will be verifying that all is working properly.

If all is working properly and you insist in operating the roof manually you will need to understand how it works. This roof is both electrical and hydraulic and all must be working properly and in sequence. The switches are 3 located in the header and 2 located in the right rear ram. You have 2 relays and the icing on the cake is upon your selecting open/close command the body processer and you security processer making all this work together. Operating this roof manually could cause it to become confused and inoperative.

To open the roof:
If you insist in operating the roof manually you can do this by opening the windows electrically by pressing the open button until they are retracted, open the petcock at the pump to release the hydraulic pressure, unlatch the latch at the header with the allen wrench, release both rams left and right by applying pressure to the top of the rams located behind the rear windows. Note: do not bend or force them you will reduce the integrity of the roof interlocking. Once you have done that you can now open the roof and retract the header latch with the allen wrench.

To close the roof:
To close the roof you just pull the roof to the closed position, open the roof header latch and latch the roof manually. Then you will need to do one of two things, manually latch both the left and right rams . That means that you will need to apply upward force to the roof mechanism at both rams. If this is not possible you will need to go to the pump and close the petcock and press the closed button this will apply hydraulic pressure to the rams to close them. Note: if the rams are not closed properly the windows will not go up. The right ram has switches that if they are not satisfied you will get no power to the windows to close them. Once you close the roof rams properly then you should be able to close the windows electrically by pressing the close roof button.

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 120,000mi K&N Filter
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”― W.C. Fields
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Its 90 degrees today I want to let my top down. I just wish we could do this easy to prevent the green monster.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 AM

Talking Green Monster?

Jealously? Whats green monster refer too?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

panhof, he's referring to the shower (don't know where monster came from) from leaking hydraulic fluid from the overhead light console. Guess what...its green.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Green OOZE

Ah weird is this a symptom of the XK8,sounds real messy! I have the more antiquated JAG the XJS vert... Thanks for the info!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Jagxkrtoofast
Take your upper console apart and look at your hoses to see what condition they are in. A lot of them will be weathered and frayed. These cars are made to be used. Mine never broke it developed a small leak so there wasn't a shower. Quit worrying about it and enjoy.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone
Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Photobucket

George Kale

Here a link for Jaguar site, that you can download the owners handbook for your particular vehicle. Convertible top section will give you information to lower or raise the top. Be careful, you can ruin the top if you don't follow the instructions. I hope this will help.

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extfree2viewjagprod/servlet/peachviewfile?t=1279618566931/index.htm
Old 07-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Thumbs up How to go TOPLESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekale View Post
Here a link for Jaguar site, that you can download the owners handbook for your particular vehicle. Convertible top section will give you information to lower or raise the top. Be careful, you can ruin the top if you don't follow the instructions. I hope this will help.

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extfree2viewjagprod/servlet/peachviewfile?t=1279618566931/index.htm
Now this is an excellent reference, Thanks so much!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Tags
2001, close, convertable, convertible, instructions, jag, manually, open, power, pull, quarter, rear, release, top, windows, wont, xk8