XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat control module

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
This is from my 95xj6 but I think it is the same as xk8 http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairS...trolSwitch.htm
Gus in your first picture that shows the whole switch pack, what holds that pack to the seat? Looking at the picture, my left side is the side that isn't connected to what???

Old 05-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Plastic clips on the sides and it just snaps out! Fingers on both sides and gently pull out.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts
Default seat control module

The TSB 419-17 failed to upload
I'll try again.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
419-17.pdf (91.2 KB, 583 views)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The TSB 419-17 failed to upload
I'll try again.

bob gauff
Thanks for the TSB

Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 PM

I also have a seat module issue. Passenger side goes back but not up etc - just like others here. Using the advice you guys posted I switched the passenger and drivers sides modules. The drivers side module works on either seat, passenger side module fails on both. So I will look at the circuit board and if that fails will replace the module. Here are my questions though:

1. I noticed that my drivers side module has three sets of connections going into it. The passenger side had only two (although both modules are the same in terms of having three recepticles). I don't think this has anything to do with the passenger module failing but are there supposed to be 3 wire sets on the passenger side also (e.g. do I need to fish around under the seat for a missing connection).
2. If I wind up having to replace the module - any recommendations on where to buy (yes I will google etc but if you guys have advice on trustworthy sources, I'll take it LOL!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

the 'extra' set of wires could be simply for the seat height adjustment...passenger controls don't have them in most models, driver does. I'd open it up and see if theres a broken solder connection. I would wager you can repair it.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Wreaking yards are the only reasonable place for replacements. Search 'used auto parts' and you will find a couple sites that will broadcast to literally hundreds of yards.

Must match both the part number and the /xxx extension. I believe the XJ8/R used the same module so there are many out there.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimfinn99
I also have a seat module issue. Passenger side goes back but not up etc - just like others here. Using the advice you guys posted I switched the passenger and drivers sides modules. The drivers side module works on either seat, passenger side module fails on both. So I will look at the circuit board and if that fails will replace the module. Here are my questions though:

1. I noticed that my drivers side module has three sets of connections going into it. The passenger side had only two (although both modules are the same in terms of having three recepticles). I don't think this has anything to do with the passenger module failing but are there supposed to be 3 wire sets on the passenger side also (e.g. do I need to fish around under the seat for a missing connection).
2. If I wind up having to replace the module - any recommendations on where to buy (yes I will google etc but if you guys have advice on trustworthy sources, I'll take it LOL!
Your car has the exact symptomatology mine had. Don't waste your time going to the dealer (you'll pay way too much!) finding a used module still needs to be programed to your car as I understand it. Spend $10 and a little time soldering the circuit board. A little hint with soldering, get a bead to stick on the pen and drag it ever so gently along the lead that needs fixing. I got my stuff at harbor freight for around $7

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...gory=&q=solder

try to fix it yourself, it is rewarding when you do.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The passenger's seat on my 2000 XK8 does not go up and down, only forward and back wards.

The drivers see goes forward, back wards, and up, and down. This could be the reason the module for the drivers side has more connections than the passenger's side. I've never taken a set module apart so I can not help you there.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

A correct module is plug-n-play. No programming required.

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (01-09-2020)
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 AM

I am going to work on it before I try and replace it - will let you guys know how that goes. The back part of the plastic casing is broken around one of the posts but I can work with that easily enough, just need to see if I can figure out what's going on with the circuit board. The top cover is fully intact but there's a little grease or something on the edge of the board, maybe something spilled on it - not sure but its somewhere to start.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All:

A stupid question from the newbie...working on my passenger's seat, I need to remove the switch panel from the side of the seat so I can check the circuit card. I've worked around it with a screwdriver (gently) but to no avail. It really doesn't want to pop off! Any thoughts? Should I just try prying harder?

I have a 2002 XKR 100 with Recaro seats if it might give a clue or two...

Thanks!!!

Dave

Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
All:

A stupid question from the newbie...working on my passenger's seat, I need to remove the switch panel from the side of the seat so I can check the circuit card. I've worked around it with a screwdriver (gently) but to no avail. It really doesn't want to pop off! Any thoughts? Should I just try prying harder?

I have a 2002 XKR 100 with Recaro seats if it might give a clue or two...

Thanks!!!

Dave
NO!!!!! Don't try to pop it off. There's a screw. More in the next post...

Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

I pulled the same switches a couple years ago without any difficulty. Just do not remember the issues. Seems like there are tabs that need to be squeezed from the inside. They just snap in.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

They just popped out on my 95xj6 http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairS...trolSwitch.htm I have not had reason yet on my xk8 but I think it is the same.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

I wanted to get that typed and sent before you tried to force it. If you look right behind the switch assembly, you'll see a vertical piece covered with leather that goes down into the hole in the arm rest. Stick a screwdriver between the rear part of the switch assembly and the top of the vertical piece. You'll be able to pull it out a little. If you look down in the space now, you'll see a little white peg thingy that holds the vertical piece in place. You can then wedge the screwdriver down in there and manipulate the peg thingy until the whole vertical piece comes out. Then you'll see a little phillips screw. Unscrew the screw and then the switch assembly can be removed.

Last edited by H20boy; 07-13-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: cuz he's a d-a :)
Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Never mind. I just reread your post. I thought you were talking about the window switches. Sorry. I'm a dumbass.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Never mind. I just reread your post. I thought you were talking about the window switches. Sorry. I'm a dumbass.
No worries. Remember I'm the guy who asked about the dangling hose by my rear tire...

If I get a few minutes tonight, I'll try to pop it off with my fingers. I'm just always leery about forcing things too far...and then having to buy a new one!

Dave

Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Okay, finally got around to messing about with it.

Tried to get the cover off with my fingers...HA...this was as far as I could get my fingers under the cover plate before I cut off the circulation in my fingertips!

Anyone have any ideas of how to fish one of these things out of Recaro seats????

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Seat control module-xkr100seatcontrol.jpg  

Quick Reply: Seat control module