XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I cause expensive damage to this car while inspecting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Did I cause expensive damage to this car while inspecting?

Recently I inspected a 2003 jaguar xk8 4.2l v8 because I was thinking about buying it.

I used a checklist I found on the forum for inspecting tell tale issues with this model, but stupidly I did something out of order and opened the radiator while hot...

Because the expansion tank looks like an overflow on other cars, I foolishly went ahead and opened it even though it had the 'caution do not open while hot' printed on it. It was hot. Coolant bubbled out and went all over the place.

I went straight to a service station (in a different vehicle), bought more coolant and filled it (slowly) until visible in the expansion tank. I left the coolant with the seller, and suggested that he check when completely cold, and keep an eye on the level (as it had been filled and I didn't know if the level would change after the engine was started and coolant was pumped through the system.

In the intervening couple of days I have been thinking about the car and trying to arrange a proper mechanic inspection with the full checklist.

I get a call from the seller who says that following that incident, he drove for 30 or 40 km and was getting a low coolant warning message. He did not top up the coolant, but went to a mechanic (who he knows well and services their fleet cars). The mechanic has told him that there have been some burst pipes (or internal elements to the radiator?) and has told him that some oil had got into the system (?) and that the car needs a new radiator.

Can anyone talk me through how this might have happened? I'd just like to be better informed because he clearly expects me to pay for the new radiator quoted by his mechanic. I have asked him to get a written diagnosis from his mechanic including OBD2 codes before we talk about it again. He wants me to meet with him and the mechanic to discuss because he doesn't know much about cars (neither of us do). Feeling pretty foolish. Advice?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

both are full of $#)$. You did no damage at all. Top off the coolant, they will be fine.
The radiator does not have a access hole,or top , so the mechanic is feeding you false information.

I have been through bad mechanics at Jaguar,welcome !

Last edited by aode06; 04-16-2015 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Prospective xk8 (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Agreed. But never remove the coolant expansion tank cap on a hot engine again. You're asking to get scalded if you do....

Old 04-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Also even if you don't get scalded if the coil cover (directly below the expansion tank) isn't sealing properly you can get the coils wet. It took a week of driving with the cover off to dry it out before it ran properly again when it happened to me when I removed a hose to the tank and more drained out than my pan under it could catch.
Other than that loosing a small amount of coolant from opening it wont hurt anything. Wont smell good while its burning off while driving until its all gone. Mine smelled like hot coolant for days.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 04-16-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

One thing can happen that will cause a "LOW COOLANT" light to remain on... The sender for the light is under the coolant expansion tank, and the plug for it has a clip that holds it on. Unscrupulous people could disconnect that clip and plug as 'proof' that something is broken.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 PM

Dagnamit. Thanks for the input guys.

So I'm guessing that some sort of damage has happened after he drove without enough coolant in it - which I still feel partly responsible for even though he should have checked.

I'm wondering if it is the expansion tank that needs replacing (at the named price of around $1000 - non US/UK so that may be the price of just a new ex tank)? Did I read something about issues with hoses and sensors around the tank that may have been damaged by hot coolant?

I will add to this post with info once I get some sort of written diagnosis from the mechanic. Thanks again guys.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:21 PM

I should add - a LOT of coolant came out - it seemed pretty hot for a 15 minute drive. Maybe 1L. It was about 35C outside. I also noticed that the cold air intake connector tube above the right front wheel was... missing. Any chance that would be contributing?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

the poster says a LOT of coolant came out. im not sure how much is capable of coming out but if A WHOLE LOT came out and he poured A LOT OF COOL COOLANT into the engine and the engine WAS NOT RUNNING as he poured in the cold coolant, that could crack a head or the block and create very bad problems.

hope that's not the case here!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Not likely, stop trying to scare him. And driving with low coolant could certainly cause engine damage, but not likely the radiator. It may be he had a clogged radiator beforehand and is looking for someone to buy him a new one.

Last edited by RJ237; 04-16-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are still interested in the car, give him a low bid because of the faulty radiator..

Old 04-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

He says a lot was about 1Ltr, and he also drove to a garage to buy coolant and came back, giving the engine time to cool down and presumably it was not overheated in the first place, so it's not like he stuck a cold hose into a red hot engine with almost no coolant.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Depending upon how this plays out, before you fork over any money I'd tell them that you need to let a mechanic of your choosing take a look and give a written opinion on the matter. I haven't done this in such a case as you are facing, but I have, in a situation where a part that I purchased was sent to me and it was not as advertised. In that case the seller would not take the part back, but I got the letter and sent it to my credit card company and they gave me my money back. The other company never requested their part back and I threw it away. I realize that the two situations are not the same, but having such a report will be good for you if it ends up in some sort of legal action it will show that you are making good faith efforts.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Definitely get a second opinion from a mechanic of your choice. This sounds like something isn't right for sure.

Dave

Old 04-17-2015, 04:19 AM

Thanks for the info, again. This forum is great. It's making me want to buy the car, hahaha.

Well, I'm not too concerned about having put coolant into the engine - it must have been about 20-30 mins plus by the time I bought the coolant and got back to the vehicle. I don't think the engine was overheated because the temp gauge was in the middle (though I understand it will stay there unless it's REALLY hot). The engine did seem really hot, but it was a hot day and hot steamy coolant spilling over a hot engine will always seem hot I guess. And the message from the mechanic is that it's a damaged radiator, (or perhaps the seller has misunderstood and it's the expansion tank and related hoses, he called 'pipes') not something else.

Assuming there is nothing malicious going on, and I don't really get that vibe, I am presuming that it is an opportunistic mechanic looking to make his client's car perfect following an even he didn't 'cause', even if being sensible about the warning light might have prevented it. I have some sympathy for that. It's not a good situation for the seller because he wants to sell the car, and one way or another, now he is looking at a new repair bill. I have some sympathy for that, too. I was hoping to buy the car, but the price is pretty optimistic (equivalent of about 12k with quite a few cosmetic imperfections and a few electrical warning glitches etc). At least now it would have a 'new radiator'. I was hoping to make a reasonable offer, but now I suspect the seller would feel bad about that.

It's unfortunate because I love these cars and it's the first time in my life I have had the opportunity to seriously look at getting one. I've been loving doing the research and learning about the xk8 and its quirks. Where I live there are few opportunities to buy them. Parts here are very expensive but labor is cheap, so I could imagine it working out by shipping parts, pre-empting issues and loving the car well.

Sigh.

Will post again when the mechanic gives details/diagnosis. Appreciate the shared jag-mind.

Norri (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

not trying to scare the 'MAN'. it's a guess, based on what he described. but, im sure YOUR guess is the right one.

Last edited by stetson1; 04-17-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

what type of coolant did you purchase? What color was it. Not that the wrong coolant would damage the vehicle that quickly but if you put the wrong type in, getting it flushed is probably a legit expense have you pay for.

Prospective xk8 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

What color is the original coolant that came out of the expansion tank, and what color is the replacement coolant you bought and filled it with?

If you have mixed different color coolants, they may react chemically and cause a coagulation in the radiator blocking the passage of coolant and cause the engine to overheat and boil over, eventually losing enough coolant to trigger the low coolant warning. Did the driver notice the high radiator temperature warning light coming on?

Prospective xk8 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 05:00 AM

Replaced green coolant with green, the only colour readily available where I am, and did check that I wasn't mixing green/orange. Did not add any water, only straight coolant.

Side note, there seemed to be a leak under the car after driving that I put down to condensation from the air conditioning. It was water only, zero smell, seemed to be in front of the passenger footwell (right side when facing forwards). Only mentioning that in case it might be relevant. It looked like the car had bottomed in that area because the seam (?) was a bit damaged.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Unhappy UPDATE: description and quote from seller's mechanic

UPDATE

Hi guys and thanks again for the advice so far. This afternoon I received an email from the seller's mechanic. Coped verbatim here. Note, the currency is Dirhams. $1USD = 3 Dhs

_______
The following estimates are approximate. They are based on our conversation and our visual of the vehicle. If there is any extra work then it will be charged separately.

Radiator: 2,900
ATF Oil + Filter: 600
Coolant: 50
Labour charge: 800
TOTAL: 4350

Note: Visual Inspection
The Radiator has a 'gear oil cooler', which is part of the radiator.
This cooler has burst because of high temperature and pressure.
Causing the ATF Oil and Radiator Coolant to Mix, this has made a milky solution, whereas normally the radiator coolant is green in color.
Currently the radiator cooler is damaged and has to be replaced.
Because of this cooler being damaged, the radiator also needs to be replaced
The ATF Oil (Automatic Transmission Fluid) has to be changed (refilled) as that is also mixed with radiator coolant
The radiator and cooler need to be changed otherwise eventually the gear box will have an issue.
OBD2 is not available.

_______

Any thoughts on this? I'd really appreciate any further info or links anyone can provide, or suggestions on what might be a reasonable response under the circumstances. :/

Old 04-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Not your fault IMHO. No way releasing the resavor cap could have damaged the radiator. If this is in fact an issue with the car it needs to be repaired before the car is driven as very expensive trans damage will result with coolant in the trans.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jandreu:
Brutal (04-21-2015), Prospective xk8 (04-19-2015)

Quick Reply: Did I cause expensive damage to this car while inspecting?