XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes on 2001 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Brakes on 2001 XKR

I've done some searching on the forums about brakes and ASC/Traction Control repairs but have found little mention of costs involved. So I wanted to ask if the following is in line.

I took my 2001 XKR in to my Jaguar dealer for a routine oil change today. I have also been having the intermittent ASC/Traction Control unavailable issue and I knew that the front brake pads were getting low. So I had them check these items as well.

The quotes I got back for the front brakes only and the repair of the asc/traction control were quite high and was wondering what I should realistically expect for this service?

Front brakes, pads and rotors: $1700
ABS Control Unit: $2800

They said higher cost was due to my XKR having the Brembo brakes but don't they have the fancy bright red calipers that are usually indicative the the Brembo brakes, if so I don't have those. Is there a way to confirm I have those higher end brakes? From some searches here it seems that in 2001 only the silverstone and x100 xkr had them.

Are these costs in line?

I saw the excellent FAQ about cleaning the wheel speed sensors so that's my project for the weekend. I mentioned this to the service tech and he said unfortunately the code that came up usually means the control module is shot. Something about pump code.

The following users liked this post:
piju1945 (10-19-2015)
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

They are in business to make money. Cleaning the sensors might not fix the traction/ABS issue, but it's free to try it and it might save you $2800. The brake pads and rotors can be done much cheaper than that. Here's a complete set of drilled and slotted rotors plus ceramic pads on eBay for $480.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XK8-X...ht_3182wt_1167

That's FOUR rotors and FOUR sets of pads for under $500.

Changing the pads and rotors is an easy do-it-yourself job. Even if you're never done it before you can probably do both sides in under three hours. Just make sure you have the right tools to start with. Running back and forth to the hardware store/parts store eats up time. If you need some instructions on how to change pads I can easily take some pics and show you how easy it is. I'm no expert, but I bet I can jack up the car, remove the wheel, remove the caliper, replace the pads, reinstall the caliper, and reinstall the wheel in 20 minutes.

Also, why are they telling you that the rotors need replaced? How many miles are on the car? They might just be trying to add to their bill.

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 06-11-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Wow... I'm not to sure about the brake pads in that ebay link above, but I sure am tempted to buy that set just for the four drilled and slotted rotors. I don't really need them, but they look cool.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Oops... I just noticed that you have an XKR. Those rotors are more expensive. $1700 still seems way excessive, but they are going to run you a little more that the ones on eBay I linked to.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have the Brembo fixed calipers as opposed to the floating calipers then the brake pads/ rotors are quite pricey. As for the module, if you are getting C1095 pump motor code then cleaning wss won't help. There is a solder joint in the module that fractures causing this problem. We fix these ourselves at our shop.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Unhappy

Beauregard, unfortunately it looks like you were correct about the wheel speed sensors.

Here they are front and back after being cleaned:

When I started up the car the warning was not on, great I thought. Well I pulled out of the driveway and boom the warning popped up about ASC/Traction Control unavailable with the ABS light also lit up. :-(

Once I saw that they were magnetic sensors I didn't hold out much hope as it would probably take a some type of metallic filled gunk to really affect them in any way. Or if they were detached or broken some how. But it was definitely worth a shot.

I saw a thread on removing the ABS control module and opening it up to repair the solder joint. It looked a little involved though.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Next up are my front brakes. Several people on here mention it is a relatively easy job and if I could save myself $1700, I'm willing to give it a go. Problem is, I still can't seem to determine what type of brakes I have, are they Brembo? They sure don't look fancy like they are but admittedly I'm no expert. Can anyone tell from the following photos?

Any help identifying what I need for rotor and pad replacements would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

you have standard floating calipers. price depends on level of quality you are willing to pay for- anything from cheap chinese crap to OEM to aftermarket performance parts.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your Jaguar dealer told you those are Brembo brakes, I would find another place to have my car worked on!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Also looks like your rotors are pretty worn down.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

These are the "standard" brakes. You can tell by the ATE trademark on the caliper, close to the Jaguar mark.
You should have a wide choice of rotor and pad. The reputable online parts stores are a good place to look. Perhaps match the front pads to the rear ones.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

yup, agree..rotors look very thin. Good news, lots of options on them since you don't have to worry about the brembo components. Pads as well, get to it.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by beauregard
you have standard floating calipers. price depends on level of quality you are willing to pay for- anything from cheap chinese crap to OEM to aftermarket performance parts.
Beauregard, thanks again for your assistance! This is good to know.

Originally Posted by XKRCoupeMan
If your Jaguar dealer told you those are Brembo brakes, I would find another place to have my car worked on!
I questioned them on it when they quoted the $1700 I mentioned they didn't look fancy like other Brembo brakes I had seen and he said I definitely had the dual piston Brembo brakes... hmmm...

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Also looks like your rotors are pretty worn down.
Yep, I agree. Definitely need pads and rotors.

Originally Posted by Dan R
These are the "standard" brakes. You can tell by the ATE trademark on the caliper, close to the Jaguar mark.
You should have a wide choice of rotor and pad. The reputable online parts stores are a good place to look. Perhaps match the front pads to the rear ones.
Thanks Dan for pointing out something identifying that I can question the dealer on. I really appreciate the input. This may sound like a stupid question but how would I go about matching the pads on the rear?

Originally Posted by h20boy
yup, agree..rotors look very thin. Good news, lots of options on them since you don't have to worry about the brembo components. Pads as well, get to it.
Hey Matt, I agree on the rotors and while it would be cool to have the Brembo brakes I have to admit that frankly it's a relief I don't and I have options! Thanks for the feedback and it looks like you got promoted around here since I visited last. Nice work.

Thank you all you've been extremely helpful, I'm getting all teary-eyed :-)

Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

This is an easy do-it-yourself job, now. Just make sure you have the correct brake caliper torx bit to remove the calipers. I forget what size it is, but Advance Auto Parts sells a little set of five torx bits specifically for removing brake calipers. The set is only $8 or $10. I bought one a couple of weeks ago.

You might have a little trouble getting the calipers off since the lip on the edge of the rotor is so high. Maybe someone else has a tip on how to open up the calipers prior to removing them.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Today's task was to save myself $2800, we'll see how I fare. So far, I've removed the ABS control unit and next I have to crack it open to see if the solder joints are broken. Hopefully they are as that will be an easy fix!

I'll post back the results.

piju1945 (10-19-2015)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM

I don't know if it's fixed yet but special thanks go to Gus for pointing out this fine tutorial by Dan Jensen:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap...?id=1230845126

Here's what I've done thus far:

Successfully removed the control unit

Control Unit Opened

Sure enough, broken solder joints

Repaired solder joints - I hope

Getting ready to apply RTV and close up unit

Now I'm just waiting for the RTV to cure before I put it back into my car.

Given that I did have broken solder joints I'm relatively confident this will fix my ABS/Traction Control/Stability Control Unavailable issue. I have my fingers crossed!

The following 8 users liked this post by creativebush:
dsetter (02-05-2011), mrplow58 (08-21-2015), piju1945 (10-19-2015), Rthomas7 (12-01-2014), Salo (10-12-2017), Sean B (11-07-2012), Sir Alex of Yotto (05-28-2016), stetson1 (12-11-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

That's friggin AWESOME! That's like $2800 in the bank! And I know for certain you'll be able to get yourself some nice pads and rotors for under $400, so a little elbow grease is going to save you over $4000!

femacon (10-04-2017)
Old 06-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

crossing my fingers!

Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 AM

I was pretty consistently getting the traction control/ ABS fault, good news... I put everything back together this evening and test drove it a couple of times and didn't get the warning! Woohoo!

Still have my fingers crossed though thanks for crossing yours in solidarity Matt

Rev, I'm still a little nervous about replacing the brakes myself... I did find a local independent Jaguar mechanic though, going to try and meet with them this week.

piju1945 (10-19-2015)
Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Veteran member

if you can remove, repair and reinstall the ABS module, you can do brakes Paul. Its literally that outside clip, two caliper pins, the caliper bracket bolts and beating the rotor to come off the hub (if she's really rusted on) Same with the caliper bracket bolts, first time I broke 'em loose, they were really on there. Rubber mallet and a wrench, your best friends. Install is much easier.

Anyway, just in case, there's some words of encouragement!

mmadison (11-30-2013)

Quick Reply: Front Brakes on 2001 XKR