XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Recommends Oil Change Service Intervals At 10K Is This Safe ? Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow Jaguar Recommends Oil Change Service Intervals At 10K Is This Safe ? Please Advise

Like the title says. I have a 2006 XKR with 40k miles and the last service I had was the 40k service at 39K miles. Should I change the oil every 10K like Jaguar states ? What is safe ?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I change oil about every 7500 miles or once a year, whichever comes first. I use synthetic. Opinions range from every 3,000 miles to way over 10,000 miles. Again there is no definitive correct answer so you are left using your best judgment. My advice has always been unless someone knows better, they are best advised to use the manufacturer's specifications and recommendations as the outside range.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 02-14-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

hell no, traffic, short trips, SUPER CHARGED, I still think this is the most misleading info given. I have never done internal engine repairs, or replaced an engine thats internally clean. We also have crap gas compared to the UK which leads to more combustion byproducts in the oil. It was a big issue with on the new 5.0 with our 10%ethanol, and we have more cold start issue from ethanol than anything else. All this goes into the oil that doesnt go out the tailpipe. If you're on a lease fine, change it every 10k. If not and you want to keep your engine in tip top shape then change the oil no more than 5k.
The new 5.0 with SPECIAL oil is slated to go 15k between changes......But remember, these are all RECOMMENDATIONS based under NORMAL operating conditions. Not many of us drive under normal conditions...ie full operating temps, sustained freeway speeds, limited start/stops

The following users liked this post:
TonyX (03-03-2013)
Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I just noticed you are supercharged and if you drive hard... I agree w/ Brutal, maybe 5K. If you're a low throttled cruiser like myself the engine is much less stressed.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I have an 05 XJ8 and 06 XKR, I change the oil and filter about every 5K miles in each of them using Mobil 1 5W-30. I also do it myself because I want to look around under there. Just cheap insurance which includes looking around under the car for leaks, damage and such. The last time I changed the oil in XJ8, I saw that the oil filter was leaking and making a mess on the underside panel. This cannot be seen without dropping the panel. Although the XKR has no underpanel, looking at the pan bolts and filter and so on is always good. I believe that many parts of the engine system are affected by oil cleanliness, since acrid vapor from dirty oil can affect sensors, throttle plates and so on.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,841 Posts

An OEM does not simply pull a number out of the air for any mtce. interval. They've concluded that 10K miles is OK. Who here has any hard evidence that it's not?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,148 Likes on 753 Posts

jagxkr, i've noticed a trend with your posts. As a moderator and regular contributor, I feel it is my duty to say something.

You blanket the forums with multiple threads trying to get the same answer to your question (Select Edition cover your headlights)

You demand answers, bumping your posts every hour or so. (transmission fluid change)

You get responses from our finest members and jag techs, and you don't even say thanks. I wouldn't expect much more help unless your approach changes.

Please read our New Member sticky for general guidelines for forum membership and formalities. It will save you a great deal of time in the future.

PS, here's a BIG FAT STICKY at the top of the XK8/R section that might be of use to you.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

As brutal says, 10K OCI is only under normal driving conditions. Driving short distances for instance not warming up the engine good enough is already not normal.

So my take on this is that with a good engine oil (I use always M1 0W-40) and under normal conditions you can easily do 10K on this oil.

If in doubt, just have it analyzed at for instance http://www.blackstone-labs.com/. This is relativly cheap and you will know for the next time what the best OCI is for your driving style.

I also was careful in the beginning by changing it the oil early, but have learned thru several oil analysis that I could use the oil much longer, so am not waisting good oil anymore. A side effect was that I also learned a lot about the state of my engine from these analysis.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
An OEM does not simply pull a number out of the air for any mtce. interval. They've concluded that 10K miles is OK. Who here has any hard evidence that it's not?
I generally agree with you on that statement. 10K is probably an OK number and it was arrived by research and data gathering... not just a nice round number pulled out a hat.

However, sometimes OEM are more concerned about their profit line than the mechanical condition of a vehicle. It is understandable that a manufacturer might want to extend a service limit, if it might cost them money to cover such service under warranty.

The most obvious example is the "lifetime fill" proclamation on transmission fluid. Nobody really has much faith in this recommendation; and most line mechanics dealerships will admit the fluid should be changed... eventually. So how is that lifetime? My theory is the fine print should read, "The lifetime of your trans or your warranty... whichever comes first."

Oh, and I am certain that 10K oil change interval recommended by OEM Jaguar did not help to save any Nikasil cylinder walls from being eroded by sulpheric acid contaminated oil left too long in the crankcases our lovely cats. It might have been nice to have had a crankcase of fresh oil a little more often.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I have no doubt that a good oil will last 10k under most conditions....but I don't want my oil filter running that long. There is no way I'm putting used oil back in, so when I change my filter at 5k, I change my oil as well. I'm also running full synthetic. I figure the little extra cost is nothing to ensure everything is in great condition in 10 years.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I found this several years ago and posted it on my page. It may not give you what you are looking for but it is a good read and may help.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php

Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I've been checking out a couple of web sites about oil changes. Based on the newer types of oil, (Mainly Synthetic) and better engine design. 5000 to 7500 miles is a safe bet depending on your driving habits. I like to keep a fresh oil filter so I will try to stay closer to the 5000 mark.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 193 Likes on 161 Posts

Synthetic oil may not break down as easily as regular oil does, but there are still minute particles of dirt and carbon that get past the filter, and the acids produced by cylinder blow-by are not neutralized.
It's such a simple procedure to ensure your cars engine lasts longer.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you remove/replace the filter, all the oil will NOT drain out. Probably 1 quart will on these cars, so for the people who insist on doing 10k intervals on the oil replace the filter around 5k miles if you do alot of highway. Or 3k miles if your in a city, then top off with new oil untill you hit 10k. That will also give you some fresh Oil to keep you going till you hit 10k.

I have a thread made out that shows pictures of the oil filter elements after x amount of miles.

again, the oil CAN last but the filter will most likely fail way before. so you alot of those miles youll be using non/lightly filtered oil which is NOT good.

And I agree with h20boy, all these answers and replys and not even a response from you OP let alone a thank you.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all,
I use Mobil 1 Syn, and change it every 5K miles. Could it go further with no ill effects? Probably, but I "feel" the engine running smoother after a change, so I think that it is a small expenditure that is well worth it. Hopefully, I'm giving my engine every advantage, and the optimum chance at staying in great shape. At worst, I'm out a few bucks for a premature Oil Change.

A great tip that I picked up somewhere or other is to get on a schedule of changing it with your Odometer at 5K mile intervals, ie, 50K, 55K, 60K etc. You never have to guess at when your last change was, or refer to your records. Works for me! I wish I remembered who posted this tip so that I could give credit to them.
Brian

Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I use "tripometer B" to keep track of the mileage of the oil, "tripometer A" keeps track of my mileage per tank.

The oil can most likely go longer, but I seriously doubt the oil filter can. So get a Used Oil Analysis, and cut open the filter at the next OCI and youll see if you can go longer or not.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:40 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

OK, I'll "stir the pot".

12K synthetic oil changes, with 2, 4K interim filter only changes fits the needs of my cars. I don't chance it, but have had an oil analysis done to see what my particular driving patterns produce, and in my particular driving environment. At 12K I still thow away good oil.

Personal opinion, but changing synthetic oil every 5K to 7.5K is nuts besides being wasteful. I'll probably be accused of being a greenie, but someone has to start contributing to the solution instead of the problem....OK...Umbrella is in the fully opened position!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Don’t go into shock Steve but I like that idea. What if you are not using synthetic or using something other than Mobil 1?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Star & Bar Texico ...

Originally Posted by Gus
Don’t go into shock Steve but I like that idea. What if you are not using synthetic or using something other than Mobil 1?
Waaaay back .. in the olden days .. recycled oil was sold in glass guarts with a chromed metal spout, and was cheaper than "new" oil. Of course in "those" days, we were using leaded gas, and there was no such thing as a 100,000 mile engine .. except for mabe a diesel Mercedes.

This is not just anecdotal .. I was there, at $1.65 an hour. Texico took "reclaimed" oil, and re-refined it, taking out the metals and carbon and other particlate, and re-cracked it, rendering a pure, single weight oil, that had already undergone "mechanical" breakdown.

In an engine, oil serves three purposses ... lubrication, particulate removal, and heat transfer. the Star & Bar Texico recycled oil had noo additives .. just pure oil. But ... in east san jose in 1966 .. four chicanos in a '51 cheevie got their windshield washed .. a dollars worth of gas, and a quart of oil for 35 cents. And ... the Star & Bar trading stamps.

Why do I share this? Cause ... while I can plead ignorance to the merrits of "synthetic" oils, that non-synthetic oil has historically been recycled and reused. The theory at the time, was that there is a molecular breakdown created by mechanical friction and heat, that wore the oil down to it's basic viscosity. Hence ... single weight oil .. mostly 30wt.

This thread .. is mostly about oil changing intervals. The guys in the '51 Cheevie .. probably only added .. back in 1966. Engines have certainly evolved since then .. fuel and lubricants as well. My F-350 gets changed, because it is a diesel working truck, and the oil has reached a limit of being able to carry combustion by-products to the filter .. which does also impact on it's ability to lubricate the engine.

But for todays modern gasoline engines, changing the oil at 3k is, in my opinion, as about **** as it gets. We have long surpassed the "1 cubic inch displacement per normally aspirated horsepower" automotive "sound-barrier". The 4.2 Jag motor is an exemplary example.

Guys and Gals ... we are blessed to possess an incredible work of art with a modern engine .. and you can pamper it any way you wish. There is soo much hype in this area I guese ... products .. commercials and the like. Synthetics are well marketed and documented .. but this site is not about 1st owner corporate leesees ... we are blessed by Ford's umbrella over Jaguar for a decade or so. I do expect, that Walmart makes dime one when my F-350 goes in for a change (16 quarts) and little else for 60 bucks.

I will close this lengthy commentary on oil changes, with another first person anecdotal story ... and not even a Ford story. I worked at one shop in san jose during the mid 80's .. our purchasing guy .. had this mabe 7yo chevy pickup. He swore .. only changed filters regularly, and added oil as needed. Gas rig ... was it the filter change? I don't know. But when ic all this hyperbolie about oil changing .. does make me wonder :-) Have Fun ... Be Safe

Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Like Brutal said, disassemble a few engines and you will SEE FOR YOURSELF the difference a few thousand miles can make.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Recommends Oil Change Service Intervals At 10K Is This Safe ? Please Advise