XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will somebody take measurements for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Will somebody take measurements for me?

Hello all. I have been perusing these forums as a guest researching my next car project - XK8 donor for Aston replica. Now, I don't want to offend any purists (and if I do, well, I'll make you a great deal on the leftover parts - most of the car..lol) but from what I've read, the whole technology and design history of the XK is a great platform and Jaguar should be proud!

My car: Been looking for the past few months and found a suitable donor. 1999 convertible with a blown engine for $2900. Looked at it last week and about to offer the guy $2500 for it. Listening to the guy talking about the motor definitely led me to the chain tensioners. He had no clue about them. Sad! Otherwise, the car is solid and in great shape! I live in Southeast Virginia and let me know if you need any parts...

Me: Motorhead pretty well sums me up. New to the Jaguar community and newer cars in general. I have had several Mopars, all older than I am and carbureted. Still have a couple of them.... '70 Plymouth Roadrunner and my daily driver '71 Dodge Demon. Now that I think of it, I've never ridden in a Jaguar..

Ideas: Drivetrain - I have to do something about the motor and want a 5 spd transmission. Make it a Lump? lol Don't laugh, the old Lumpers are hard at work on motor mounts for GM LS1's in XK8s!

IRS - First sign of rear end problems (and I seem to read through alot of 'em) and I'm yanking the IRS and going solid axle..

Wheels - I'll give Jaguar credit for making decent factory offerings. There's a set of 19" Apollos with tires for $400 on craigslist. Probably toughest decision is which to get...

Aston body kit - Only style gripes I have on XK8s are the "grill challenged" front end and the long rear end. Astons look better in my opinion (Don't hate me XK8 coupes with the Vanquish kit (company name for it is "ASH MART") don't look quite the same as a real Vanquish but it's close enough for common folk... I'm going for a little different look, a race car look with Gulf Livery. See pics (if they loaded right). Any opinions, hateful ones included? haha

Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Default Will somebody take measurements for me?

Hello,
New member... Sorry to admit I'm gonna lump a XK8 but the motor in the car I'm buying is blown (chain tensioners) and I want a 5 spd manual. I'm looking for the measurements between strut towers and from firewall to radiator brace. ZF Transmission length and 4.0 motor dimensions would greatly help as well. Pic below illustrates what I'm looking for. Special thanks to the person(s) who helps me out and I'll have some donor parts (most of the car) available at a super deal for them! Ronnie

Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

What are you thinking? LS7

The following users liked this post:
Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Ronnieb
Welcome to the forum
Here's the dimensions from the JTIS you can download this from the sticky's above. you'll need to get some more posts to download it, I believe ten. I think you would have a rough time getting these specs off a complete car without some special measuring equipment
Good luck

Attached Thumbnails Will somebody take  measurements for me?-frame.jpg  

Last edited by RCSign; 09-18-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Take a look at page FIVE of the attached PDF. It has underhood dimensions for all 1997 - 2004 XK8s and XKRs. Page five, left-hand column, center of page.

Good luck.

Attached Files
Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You might want to consider joining the XKEC. Others on there have retrofitted a manual, and they just might be able to save you much time and effort. But keep us posted!...this may be of interest to some here.

Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Interesting idea, I know it has been done in Australia, but you will have to play with the instrument binacle.

Are secondhand engines that expensive in the States? You can get an 8 engine here in the UK for about $1500

I have also done manual conversions and quite a bit as far as modifications go.

Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
You might want to consider joining the XKEC. Others on there have retrofitted a manual, and they just might be able to save you much time and effort. But keep us posted!...this may be of interest to some here.
I joined the XKEC and paid the hefty subscription fee a few months ago. I wish I hadn't though, because the free info on here is just as good. I never use their forum and only received their 'winter' magazine last month!

Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
I joined the XKEC and paid the hefty subscription fee a few months ago.
I would not say it is hefty, the info you get is huge, the magazine is good and you also benefit from discounts from many suppliers myself included which normally pays for any subscription.

But they have recently started up a forum only subscription for £20 which I think is a bargain.

But we digress from the OP

Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Received 6,275 Likes on 5,471 Posts

I've copied Ronnie's post from the intro section into this one as he gives a bit more detail about his plans that you may find interesting.

Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm I see we have a lot in common in some ways

I have fitted an Aston AMV8 rear bumper to my XK Track car which I might yet change to my rear diffuser idea, I will also fit my new front to this car, I have done all kinds of things to it along with a T56 6 speed manual from a Dodge Viper.
You will come across alot of the same issues I have regarding the electrics, but even without an ECU you will be able to turn the car the car over, so sticking a lump in it with a stand alone system or carbs will be quite simple. I have decided to rip the dash out on mine and make my own, in for a penny in for a pound the saying goes.
I will also produce all my body panels in carbon fibre, I can produce front wings, bumpers and bonnet in CF, I will also do door skins.
All glass has been removed apart from the main screen and replaced with plastic, for some strange reason I want to keep the car road legal.... Should be good for giggles

I forgot I uploaded some pics to my photo album, and yes it still looks a bit of a mess but it is getting there

Last edited by XKRacer; 09-19-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added a pic
Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM
BeO
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting project indeed, even though I'm no big fan of cars trying to look like some other more expensive brand. I don't mind changing the looks, as long as you still can tell what car it is. It's a Jag, be proud of it

If the front in that kit didn't try to imitate an Aston front, I'd be more happy with it.

But besides my good for nothing opinions, best of luck with the project, it will be fun to follow it so keep us posted!

Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

FYI, Bob, ake motorcarman, is also looking for a good deal on an xk8 with a clean body but blown engine. Last time I saw him at his shop, he had an engine just waiting for the right xk8 to come along. If you (or anyone else) knows of a shell that would be a possibilty, please send him a PM.

Bob, if you see this and have decided against your own convertible/coupe project...I apologize for presuming otherwise

Ronnieb883 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Talking You guys are awesome!

Hey. Thanks for the replies. I've seen a few kit car replicas and the moment you find out it's a fake, it takes away from the car's impression. That's why I'm doing a one-of-none kinda car.

LS7 engine? I know Dodge engines, only rebuilt one Chevy 350, and I haven't quite graduated to fuel injection yet. lol I have a 318 w/ 5 spd already in the garage and an Eaton M112 blower just waiting to blow something up. Don't think the blower would clear the hood though.. Boo! The dimensions and (and good deal on an engine/tranny) will ultimately determine what I can fit in there.

Instruments: From what I've read about the electronics and wiring in these cars, they're nightmares and not very compatible. I think the number of lumps would be tenfold more if it weren't for electronics scaring the bejesus out of 'em! I'll probably go with a digital dash and some hidden mechanical gauges. The Aston Race cars have this neat lil digital readout and rearview camera instead of a full cluster. Didn't Top Gear/Clarkson have problems with the readaout in his Jaguar race car review?

Bob aka motorcarman... Seems like I see cars with blown motors/trannies often enough and people just salvage them. I have been monitoring copart.com and iaai.com for salvage cars. Note, some cars still have good titles (especially the ones like Bob wants with blown drivetrains) There's 4 or 5 for sale up in Northern Va eastcoastauto.com.

XKRacer: You're my kinda guy! What kind of beast is sitting in that engine bay?! I might have to look into DIY carbon fiber....

XKEC.. I'll look into it, but paying for something that I can get for free is against my nature!

Once again, thanks for the help guys! Think I definitely came to the right place/people....

Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Default RCsign's Thumbnail

Hey, I finally made 10 posts and enlarged the pic but it is illegible when blown up, can't make out the numbers... boo A+ for effort though! Looks like a good drawing!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,171 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnieb883
Hey, I finally made 10 posts and enlarged the pic but it is illegible when blown up, can't make out the numbers... boo A+ for effort though! Looks like a good drawing!
Grab the pdf posted by "The Coupe". Because it is a pdf it will blow up without problem. I can see the numbers at half inch height on my screen. Use the magnifier tool in your pdf reader.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ronnieb883
XKRacer: You're my kinda guy! What kind of beast is sitting in that engine bay?!

The engine in my track car is a standard XK8 engine (AJ26) I just made my own inlet manifold and fitted 8 Jenvey throttle bodies

Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Ronnie
Go to the sticky's above and load the JTIS You'll have Jaguar factory service program It'll have all of the dimensions top, side, and bottom. plus all of the service and repair information

Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Default JTIS kicking my butt!

I've been trying to load JTIS with no luck. I get the MFC application error and looks like other people have dealt with it as well... Not gonna give up though! I'll be yanking the drivetrain and measuring it myself within a month. In the meantime I'll dreamsheet all the goodies I want.