Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

complete audio overhaul 03 X Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete audio overhaul 03 X Type

I have an 03 X Type 2.5 non-sport model and I am looking to completely upgrade the stereo in the car with in dash GPS and Satellite radio in dash. I did some searching on the board and found a couple of useful links but had some questions and if anyone could offer their advice, would be appreciated. First off, I have no intentions of doing this myself, time constraints and concerns with completing the job accurately is my biggest concern, there is a dealer in the city that I have dealt with before but want to make sure I am not getting taken to the cleaners in the course of having this done. I am looking for good to better quality out of the speakers, not looking at the most high end, but I do want to keep this in a budget.

I am first off wondering about a custom face plate for the stereo itself, the dealer advised that the system I am looking at will require a custom job. I recall seeing on this board a few months ago a link to someone who created a custom faceplate on the X Type, but cannot seem to find it, also noticed this http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=99-9500 from Installer.com and that seems to be what I would be looking for.

I would also like to maintain volume control on the steering wheel but am told that is about a $200.00 add on, which seems awefully high. Whatever model I choose I will be getting satellite radio, with it, got it in another vehicle and can't live without give the local radio options. I am not sold on GPS, but I do have in my other vehicle and if I am getting a large screen type model stereo, may as well. Also looking for any suggestions on speakers, which I understand are 6.5 and not looking to add any more speakers or power to the until. It's really not to show off how loud it can get, just be a better setup than current.

any suggestions, links ideas are really appreciated.

Thanks,

Itchy

Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: complete audio overhaul 03 X Type

I am installing a multifunction double din radio at the moment and ran into some of the same problems. The installers also told me it would be a custom job, which to them means they will have to cut the wires because they didn't know of any adapters. Needless to say I found them. The link below has all the parts you will need but they are in the UK. If you take the part numbers and search (Google) you can find some of them in the States, such as the faceplate you already have found. I bought several on e-bay a lot cheaper than the sites just punch in the part number. As far as the steering wheel control controller they aren't that expensive. The site shows you the modules for each type of radio. Just make sure you get a brand name and you won't have a problem. Once I start installing it I will take pictures and post them.

I am also still looking for some speakers. I just want to replace the front two with maybe a 3 way speaker, not sure. I'll let you know if I find anything good.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...its/jaguar.htm

Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Steering wheel aapter should not be that much. The last one I did on a Toyota I used (I think) the PAC-SWI from PAC. It plugged into the wired remote port on the Pioneer HU and relayed signals from the wheel controls. I think the same model will work on the Jag (I hope so, so I don't have to buy a diff one for the new car).

EDIT: Make that SWI-PS which worked for Pioneer head units. Look here for others:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface

Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Sorry to bump an older thread here but I finally got someone to get back to me with some details, I have this sneaking suspicion I am being taking to the cleaners on some of this stuff. Please note all prices are Canadian dollars.

"It looks like I can order the kit to put in a double din screen (99-9500) but it will cost around 70$. The Double Din Kenwood DVD/ Nav Screen's will start at 997.00 ( Regular 1299.99). As I had said before steering wheel control will be around 175$ and Sat Radio 200$. The only issue is that the is no wire harness for your vehicle that is available. So it looks like we would have to re-wire the entire thing. We charge 50$ an hour for labor and it may take about 4 hours (200$). It would cost 100$ to put in the Kenwood head unit and 50$ for a basic speaker install and 100 to put in a component speaker(woofer and tweeter)."

This steering wheel and re wiring they are telling me sounds like a song and dance to me. The unit, and various other aspects of the installation are not of as much concern to me. Any one have any similar experiences they can pass on to me?