Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

distortion problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default distortion problem

i just re-installed the sound system after having it removed to make a cleaner installation. I forgot to test it before final install steps and now I got very bad distortion at all volume levels. sounds like all speakers are blown, rattling and poping with car on or off. i have to remove it again to diagnose what is causing this. but i tested the crossovers and that was not the problem. playd with all the gain's and couldnt fix it.

it is a simple system, factory head unit, pre-amp, 2 channel amp, 2 crossovers for mids and tweeters.

I connected the preamp power from the amp power and i believe i had not installed it like that before. but since i got everything in the trunk i tought it would be cleaner like this just having the 3 short wires (12v/ground/remote) from the amp to the preamp. could this be causing the problem?

what can cause this blown speaker sound distortion?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

well i tested resistance from preamp to battery and get 1.2 ohm and same from amp so ground is good. i also unhooked all speakers and reconnected them but same problem, altho now i notice when I really give it volume on the preamp the amp will go into protection mode. and also noticed when putting the key to ON i get a thump on the speakers. i have the remote signal from accesories so amp powers when key is in th eON position. but i had never had that thump before. thinking I got a speaker grounding somewhere.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 on the grounding thought.

Go back and re-check all wire connections and ground wires. You might have a loose connection, or a dirty one.

Also check / clean the battery terminals and also the connections on the alternator.