Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Jaguar Bluetooth Phone Module *AND* Bluetooth Stereo Too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Jaguar Bluetooth Phone Module *AND* Bluetooth Stereo Too?

I'm looking for some help from someone that has a Jaguar X-Type, S-Type or 2004-2009 XJ and has both the Jaguar Bluetooth module and the Audio Connectivity Module (ACM). My understanding is that the Jag Bluetooth Module only supports phone functions, and does not support stereo music over Bluetooth. (Can someone confirm that?)

I believe it may be possible to add stereo Bluetooth reception through the ACM, by adding a Belkin Stereo Bluetooth Receiver (or similar device) to the system. If you're up to a simple experiment (and a minor expenditure for your home stereo), you might be able to break some new ground for the Jaguar community. Fame and fortune, and wireless tunes, will follow you for all of your days.

See this link for more information:

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-b...ooth_receivers

Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.. some great information you have there on your site. I have a 2005 STR with the ACM and bluetooth phone. I was having some crazy electro-static issues and the ACM would freak out 30 seconds after starting up the car. I just realized there was a Firmware update.. and flashed it. Hopefully that fixes things!

I might be interested in helping you out with this project. Send me a PM if you don't already have a tester.

Oh.. you are correct.. the jag bluetooth only works for telephone. (no audio)

Old 12-05-2010, 08:39 AM

Actually, for my own sake, I think I'm done buying Bluetooth (BT) devices for my car. The Motorola BT device that I wrote about (http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-b...bluetooth.html) is working so well for me - and for $44! - that I can't justify spending hundreds more just to be able to use the phone numbers pad on the head unit the way the Jag module can.

But if I already had the Jag BT module in my car, then I would definitely pursue adding a BT stereo receiver. As I mentioned, Belkin has one that might be adaptable to 12v car use. The trick will be getting (or fabricating) a power adapter that can work with it.

Regardless, it seems that you have other problems, which I suspect are related to faulty wiring. I would start by pulling out that head unit and re-seating each wiring harness. Hopefully, it's just a loose connection. If that doesn't work, then do the same for the ACM control module (probably located UNDER your center console), and then try the amplifier and audio accessories stack in the back of the car. And if all of this is a little beyond you, then you might just have to suck it up and trek off to the dealer.

I don't think a firmware update is going to solve your intermittent stereo problems.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Wife's 2005 S-Type has the Jag BT phone module, +1 to Nixx's finding, No audio streaming.

Daughter's '03 S-Type had neither, and I looked for an ACM to fit so she could enjoy her music stash, but after finding high prices, limited availability and limited capability, I opted to fit the Parrot mki 9200. Great pc. of gear. Really hate to drive the wife's ride, relatively speaking, as all I have to do is get near the daughter's car, and voila` instant tunes, phone, nav, and audio text via my phone! Wife's car needs a fill-up? I'm relegated to 80's disco beats in her CD changer!!!!sheesh

Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Hmmm... you're both having the same problems. Both 05 model year, both S-types, both with the ACM and Jag BT. And both from Texas.

Someone - probably one of you two, since the guy's company is also in TX - wrote to me privately about this. He updated the firmware, but I have my doubts about that being related to the intermittent connection. Regardless, try it (firmware update) and let us know.

I also suggested to the private messenger to look into the cable updates referenced here: http://www.dension.com/jaguar/?agree=0&sc=0.

I most strongly suspected a loose connection somewhere in the wiring harnesses or D2B ring - which could extend to the accessory stack in the trunk - but now that there are two of you with the same problem, I'm wondering more about the firmware upgrade. Let us know.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahh yeah, that was me who e-mailed you. I haven't had an opportunity to test drive the car yet. I will be doing that quite a bit today so I'll keep the thread informed re the firmware update.

My car originally did NOT come with the ACM. I actually installed it myself in my driveway. It was fairly straightforward to do. (I've done this kind of stuff before, though.. thought it was easy) I used all the clips and fasteners and everything went in smoothly as the instructions said.

I think I have an old ACM as mine does not have a LED light on the connector in the center console. I bought my ACM off ebay in February of 2007. I may contact the ACM manufacturer and find out if I need to buy an upgraded cable or something.

Anyways.. I'm pretty sure the BT phone module was never intended to stream stereo music from an iPod/iPhone. My Jag BT module downloads my telephone list from my iPhone and it allows you to search by last name, or position number in your list. It works 'okay' I guess. I just usually pick up my phone, open it up to my favorites list and select a person and the Jag BT takes over automatically.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I guess I wasn't very clear. Neither S-Type in my li'l acre of TX has an ACM. I considered one for my daughter's '03 but chose a Parrot instead.

Wife's '05 has the factory-installed BT module and no "problems" unless you count that the outgoing voice-quality is pretty crappy compared to the Parrot. Or maybe my wife only calls me from really rough roads with the sun roof open and the windows down?.....on really windy days..... In any case, I'd judge incoming voice when receiving a call from the Jag BT module to be "passable" at best.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I guess I wasn't very clear. Neither S-Type in my li'l acre of TX has an ACM. I considered one for my daughter's '03 but chose a Parrot instead.
Aaaahhh... nope, it wasn't you. I latched on to Nixx's apparent wiring fault, and assumed that you were talking about the same thing when I read "+1 to Nixx's finding." My bad.