Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Pinout/Wring diagramm for HK Power Amp (LNA4170AB)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pinout/Wring diagramm for HK Power Amp (LNA4170AB)?

Hello everybody,
I am trying to integrate a Parrot MKI9200 into the original ICE system of my 1997 Daimler Double Six LWB. It has the Premium Sound Package with the Harman Kardon Power Amp in the trunk.

I bought the specific SOT-098 Jaguar Alpine ISO Parrot Adaptor Cable from Autolead; the problem ist that after connecting everything as described, the Parrot doesn't get powered (screen stays dark, the multimeter says that the red contact of the SOT ISO connector (see photo) has 12V, but only when measured against the car's ground. When measuring against the black ISO contact (which is supposed to be the ground for the Parrot): 0 Volt. The yellow contact which is supposed to have ignition controlled 12V does not show 12V, but some 0,5 V. (the entire car is in its original state, the Alpine HU, the CD Changer and the Power Amp work perfectly, and when connecting the Parrot directly to 12 Volt, it works.)

So I was looking around to find some kind of pinout for the amp, but the only thing I found was fig. 18.2 of the Electrical Guide/Wiring Diagram. I found it difficull to pair the cables with the ones shown in the diagram, among other things there are less connections shown in the diagram than there are on the two connectors (IC 30 and IC31). Also, the diagram says: "NOTE: SU CIRCUIT IDENTIFIES LWB ICE. USED ONLY IN LWB VEHICLES". SU circuit seems to directly connect two pins of the connector. Does anybody know what this means?

So if anyone has some information on the pinout of the non-speaker cables connectors I would be very thankful.

Regards
Martin

Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 AM

I found out by myself. The reason for my confusion was the fact that the SOT-098 that I have been sold explicitely for the 1997 DDS with premium sound/power amp is definitely not suitable without modification. Its two cables (yellow and black) meant to provide power to the Automute and the Parrot MKI9200 are connected to two pins that are not used at all! I'll post the photo of the original IC30 connector and of the SOT-098 connector after having been modified to get the 12 V out correctly (you can still see the rests of the wrongly wired cables in the SOT connector). I have also made an image of the connections of the IC30 connector, perhaps it can help other people not to spend hours in searching the error.

Anyway, now that the Parrot works, problems go on, as it seems that the Automute 06-018 can only switch four cable pairs, but the premium kit needs 10 pairs. Sound is lousy, mute function does not work, so I'm afraid that the Sot-098-Parrot combination is not suitable for what I want (i.e. good sound from all speakers). I'll start another thread, but if anybody has advise, I'd be thankful.
Regards
Martin

Attached Thumbnails Pinout/Wring diagramm for HK Power Amp (LNA4170AB)?-pinout-ic30-connector-description.jpg   Pinout/Wring diagramm for HK Power Amp (LNA4170AB)?-ic30-connector-sot-098.jpg   Pinout/Wring diagramm for HK Power Amp (LNA4170AB)?-pinout-ic30-connector.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

For good audio, you will need to take an entirely different approach.

You will need to run the audio through into an auxiliary line-level input into the headunit. It would be best if you can find an M-bus auxiiary adapter you can plug in at your CD-changer. They are hard to find these days. The other alternative is to hack into the line level audio input in the M-bus cable, but you will likely need to keep a CD running in the changer to keep it active.

The attached document explains the installation approach. This doucument was on an XKR with the later AI-Net bus, and used an auxiliary adapter, but the principles are similar.

Attached Files

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-24-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks WhiteXKR,
life is strange - today, while searching the Web for solutions, using as search terms "Jaguar" and "Mute on streaming", a Parrot feauture not mentioned in the manual, but only in he FAQ on their web site, I found your document in the search results. However, 'm not sure whether this method is applicable to a X300 and its ICE equipment. I was thinking about another approach. To keep the threads clear I'll post it as news.
Regards
Martin