Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XK8 - aux-in via the phone-kit interface & recomend me an MP3 device

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default XK8 - aux-in via the phone-kit interface & recomend me an MP3 device

Hi folks

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can use the wiring built into the car for the phone-kit as an AUX-in ? Fit a switch to ground the MUTE line and the connect up the two LINE-in wires to the 3.5mm output from a media player and Bob = the uncle ?

Assuming that's fine, then does anyone have recommendations for a non-iPod, slimline, touchscreen MP3 media player ? I can't change out the standard XK8 headunit for something more modern, since the bezel on the Jaguar unit is rather special.

The Nokia 900 Windows Phone I have does have a fantastic interface, but the media player is a bit basic. Maybe something like the Parrot MKi9200...?
Connection instructions thanks to Carlos Fernandez here: 1998 Jaguar XK8 phone kit install

And from Owen Manderfield here: Jag Audio Upgrade

Cheers
Frank

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't quite understand why you wouldn't want an Apple iPod/iPhone. Getting anything else at this point is purposely losing the most complete end-to-end mp3/media solution on the market. It's like actively wanting an STD.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM

I had an iPod Touch - nice music player, but iTunes is horrible. Just not into Apple stuff, hate the company and their stranglehold on their hardware interface. Why no company has challenged them on this in terms of anti-competitiveness, I don't know.

In fact, I have a Windows 7.5 phone now, Nokia Lumia. The interface is absolutely fantastic, the only problem is that the media player is a bit basic.

I have decided to throw my hat in the ring and have bought a Parrot MKi9200, it seems to be a pretty decent media device with USB, AUX-in and SD-card reader. I plan to wire it into the power connections under the central console, but plumb the audio connections into the CD-changer.

The phone interface in the console only has mono AUX-in, hence my decision to go to the CD-changer.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Hi Frank-

Your '97 is a bit different, but here is my writeup on adding the MKi9200 to a 2001 FYI.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e4/#post430953

The following users liked this post:
franksm (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM

I know it's not technically related, but you know your brand new Lumia isn't eligable for any further major software updates. WP8 will be released this fall, a few months from now, and you'll be hosed. That would be like me buying a 4S today and Apple telling me I'm SOL on iOS 6 this fall, something Apple would never do to its customers.

Nokia and MS, jointly, are basically slapping thier customers in the face by not giving them WP8 on a device still being sold today. It's an absolute disgrace.

As a bit of a preface, I work in the wireless industry, at AT&T specifically. I'm not trying to berate you, just let you know the pitfalls the phone faces in the coming months. I find it disgusting how a lot of manufactures and OS developers treat their customer base.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM

As an aside I'm looking into one of the Parrot deals if I can't get a hold on an ACM soon.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Made some progress with the Parrot install - I have it fitted under the central console for power etc, with a lead going into the boot for line-out L&R.

I have plumbed this into the lineout from the CD-changer, tapping into the red and white wires but not actually having cut them from the CD unit. I am only getting sound from the headunit when the CD changer is doing something. No sound when the changer has no magazine, or has an empty magazine.

Have you guys actually cut the L&R out of the changer to connect your devices ? And if so, I guess the system still needs a CD to be in the deck and spinning ?

I was hoping to do this without any moving parts :-/

Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Having used the Parrot for a few days now, and 400 or so miles, I can gladly say that I am very happy with it !

My music-deck is now firmly in the 21st century - the main reason I wanted the upgrade was #1 to be able to play music off memory stick and #2 to have a hands-free car-kit. I guess for a lot of Parrot customers, it's the other way around. As a media player, it's pretty good, the quality of playback is superb and it's quick to traverse folders and directories. I just wish it had voice-control of such things. The only other thing it misses is that it does not remember the folder/song last being played with the car was switched off. Not a big deal though.

I couldn't ID half the cables in the central console so just probed enough of them to get earth, 12v permanent and 12v ignition. The L&R channels were routed into the boot and cut & spliced into the feed from the CD changer. I wonder if someone has yet invented a dummy CD player circuit for these to fool the headunit into thinking there's a CD spinning ? At the moment, a CD needs to be installed and spinning for the headunit to be activated.

Not sure yet on final position of the microphone pair, it'll be too visible in the overhead console. For now it's on top of the steering wheel cowl. I'll hide the wires next time the lower dashpad is removed - when I am installing the RealGauge system