XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure engine mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Failure engine mode

Recently, my wife found herself waiting (idling) for a long period of time. Then the red engine light came on and the car idled down and had a reduction in power. I connected the code device and was about to clear the codes and the issue went away. It seems to happen pretty frequently now. The local Starbucks' drive thru can be quite slow.

Any thoughts on what this could be? The car is going in for an oil change tomorrow and I would like to know what the fix should be as so they do not take me to the cleaners.

Thanks in advance.

2002 XK8

Jamie

Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

What were your codes?

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Originally Posted by JCam
Recently, my wife found herself waiting (idling) for a long period of time. Then the red engine light came on and the car idled down and had a reduction in power. I connected the code device and was about to clear the codes and the issue went away. It seems to happen pretty frequently now. The local Starbucks' drive thru can be quite slow.

Any thoughts on what this could be? The car is going in for an oil change tomorrow and I would like to know what the fix should be as so they do not take me to the cleaners.

Thanks in advance.

2002 XK8

Jamie

Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
I cannot recall the code number, but it said something about the throttle pedal? I will get the exact code and description the next time it happens.

The wife just told me that the ABS light is on and it says "ACS not available & Trac not available".

Any thoughts on the throttle pedal or the ABS issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

Old 09-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Yes check your battery. Low voltage can cause many problems.
I cannot recall the code number, but it said something about the throttle pedal? I will get the exact code and description the next time it happens.

The wife just told me that the ABS light is on and it says "ACS not available & Trac not available".

Any thoughts on the throttle pedal or the ABS issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

Old 09-25-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
Yes check your battery. Low voltage can cause many problems.
Thank you Gus. I am sitting in the dealership now and just asked them to check the battery voltage. My wife has the remote convertible top upgrade (bought from this site) that she uses religiously. Closing the top and then opening the top every time she leaves the car can wear on the battery.

BTW...as I was driving the car in to town. The ABS light was on the whole way and the 'ASC / TRAC not available' was displayed. I tried pushing the TRAC Off button on the dash and it would not engage or disengage. It was unresponsive. I was not sure if this is the source of the ABS problem or a result of an ABS problem elsewhere.

Thanks,
Jamie

Old 09-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

If the dealership reads the codes you will know what's wrong with the ABS module. But don't let them sell you a new one, most faults are easily corrected DIY or inexpensive if you need to send the module out.
Gus has identified the most likely problem, low batt. voltage/ weak battery.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
If the dealership reads the codes you will know what's wrong with the ABS module. But don't let them sell you a new one, most faults are easily corrected DIY or inexpensive if you need to send the module out.
Gus has identified the most likely problem, low batt. voltage/ weak battery.
Thanks Russ. I have just been told that the throttle body sensor is going bad and a new throttle body ($2,735.00) will have to be installed to stop the idle/check engine issue. They also, informed me that no low voltage codes were found and that the ABS module needs replacing ($2635.00). Lastly, they told me that the rear shock/bushings were excessively worn and need to be replaced ($1118.00).

I was just offered a 10% discount on parts if I do everything today. I found it interesting that she told me how many hours this would take per item and that they can get it finished today, by 4:30pm. The hours included in the price does not reflect the estimated time to complete.

Thoughts?

Jamie

Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

ha ha ha ha, just love dealers.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You can also have the throttle body rebuilt rather than replaced for much less cost by Automotive Scientific Inc. | Quality Rebuilt Automotive Electronics | Rogersville, TN.

The most common fault with the ABS module can be repaired yourself if you have some basic soldering skill. There are several threads on this on the forum. You can also have ASI rebuild that too.

The dealer may be unwilling to use rebuilt parts. Go to an independent Jaguar repair shop if you do not want to DIY. Labor will be much less also.

Lastly, the remote top usage has no significant effect on battery life. Each use draws a small fraction of 1% of the battery charge, which is quickly restored when the car is run.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Reason No. 1,489 why the dealership should always be your last resort....

Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Jamie,

$6488, plus labour? I think this sets a new record.

Run, do not walk, to the nearest exit.

If you cannot DIY, find a trusted Independent garage that will actually troubleshoot properly and change only what needs to be.

I'd still suspect the battery given the particular codes and when they occur.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Ask for the codes and post them here, we will be able to suggest repair options then.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Jamie,

$6488, plus labour? I think this sets a new record.

Run, do not walk, to the nearest exit.

If you cannot DIY, find a trusted Independent garage that will actually troubleshoot properly and change only what needs to be.

I'd still suspect the battery given the particular codes and when they occur.
Mikey,

The $6488 did include labor. Nevertheless, I respectfully paid for the oil change and left the dealership with both hands on my wallet. The wife is out of town next week, so I will use that time to work on her car. I do not mind paying for convenience, but their pricing was over the top.

BTW...I just ran a test for codes and the reading was strange. One code "P1000" and then a 'O&D Systems Readiness Test Not Complete' on the screen.

Any thoughts on the code or the Not Complete reading?

Jamie

Attached Thumbnails Failure engine mode-img_1941.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

That relates to the emission system readiness test. When the codes are cleared the ECM has to go through a cycle of testing. When complete it will read P1111.

If you didn't get the codes from the dealer you probably will not know what to fix in the abs system as generic code readers will not access the C codes.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

BTW...I just ran a test for codes and the reading was strange. One code "P1000" and then a 'O&D Systems Readiness Test Not Complete' on the screen.
This makes perfect sense. P1000 is universal across all Jags and is the code that signifies that the ECU memory has recently been wiped clean of all sins. Similar to confession at church.

Once the car has been driven a fair distance, and assuming there are no new sins, the P1000 code will be replaced by P1111 which signifies that all emissions related system self-tests have successfully been completed.

If the CEL illuminates again, let us know which codes appear.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If we had the codes that would be great but without them I will guess at what it was that they captured. I think the codes were P1121 peddle position sensor (PPS) or P0121 throttle position sensor (TPS). Do you know if an upgrade was done on the TPS leads to the throttle body (TB)?

Link to TB Plug TSB http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XK8/303-58.pdf

First step is for you to call Jaguar to see if they have a record of the leads being replaced. If they have been replaced I would suggest you remove the plug from the TB and clean the plug and contacts on the TB. Now the TPS is not the right side of the TB and the PPS is on the left side of the TB and I suggest you clean them both before you remove the TB and send it to ASI.

Many will ask why and I will tell you. I have in the past had a problem with my TPS and cleaned the contacts and all was good for a short period of time I then found the TSB on the leads and replaced the leads as recommended. Recently I had a problem with the PPS and removed the plug and found a broken plug . I replaced the plug and cleaned the contacts and to date all is good. I believe that poor connection in the plug is the majority of the problems we are seeing.

Prior to my cleaning the plug contacts and the replacement plug I was getting P1121 after the cleaning and plug replacement all was good so far. I got my hands on a IDS system from a friend and tested the TB 3 times and did not see an improper operation . My suggestion is to clean the plugs first and if that fails send the TB to ASI. I would suggest you take your time removing the plugs you do not want to brake them in the process of removing them.

As for the ABS that can be repaired at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Link to ABS Repair JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
GroovyMom (04-10-2017)
Old 09-26-2015, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
If we had the codes that would be great but without them I will guess at what it was that they captured. I think the codes were P1121 peddle position sensor (PPS) or P0121 throttle position sensor (TPS). Do you know if an upgrade was done on the TPS leads to the throttle body (TB)?

Link to TB Plug TSB http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XK8/303-58.pdf

First step is for you to call Jaguar to see if they have a record of the leads being replaced. If they have been replaced I would suggest you remove the plug from the TB and clean the plug and contacts on the TB. Now the TPS is not the right side of the TB and the PPS is on the left side of the TB and I suggest you clean them both before you remove the TB and send it to ASI.

Many will ask why and I will tell you. I have in the past had a problem with my TPS and cleaned the contacts and all was good for a short period of time I then found the TSB on the leads and replaced the leads as recommended. Recently I had a problem with the PPS and removed the plug and found a broken plug . I replaced the plug and cleaned the contacts and to date all is good. I believe that poor connection in the plug is the majority of the problems we are seeing.

Prior to my cleaning the plug contacts and the replacement plug I was getting P1121 after the cleaning and plug replacement all was good so far. I got my hands on a IDS system from a friend and tested the TB 3 times and did not see an improper operation . My suggestion is to clean the plugs first and if that fails send the TB to ASI. I would suggest you take your time removing the plugs you do not want to brake them in the process of removing them.

As for the ABS that can be repaired at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Link to ABS Repair JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Gus,

I think we occasionally have both codes you mentioned. I found a photo of the code reader from several weeks back with the P0121 code and the wife says the most recent code was the P1121 peddle position sensor. I do know that an upgrade has not been done on the TPS leads to the throttle body. I did notice that the technical bulletin was for 1999-2001 models. Our XK8 is a 2002 model. Will this make a difference? If not, I will repair the TPS leads. I will also clean the TB and PPS connects.

I will also check out the ABS repair link. I will post up the results.

I really appreciate all of the helpful advise from the forum members.

Jamie

Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Check and clean the plugs and see what takes place. The TSB addresses the incompatibility of the leads however, a poor connection could also cause this same problem. This is not to say you do not have a problem with the TB but my experience says clean the plugs first.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Gus,

I think we occasionally have both codes you mentioned. I found a photo of the code reader from several weeks back with the P0121 code and the wife says the most recent code was the P1121 peddle position sensor. I do know that an upgrade has not been done on the TPS leads to the throttle body. I did notice that the technical bulletin was for 1999-2001 models. Our XK8 is a 2002 model. Will this make a difference? If not, I will repair the TPS leads. I will also clean the TB and PPS connects.

I will also check out the ABS repair link. I will post up the results.

I really appreciate all of the helpful advise from the forum members.

Jamie

Old 09-27-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Check and clean the plugs and see what takes place. The TSB addresses the incompatibility of the leads however, a poor connection could also cause this same problem. This is not to say you do not have a problem with the TB but my experience says clean the plugs first.

Gus
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Gus,

I cleaned the plugs on the TB and I followed the ABS module repair DIY video. So far so good, no codes, engine light or ABS light after a short running of the engine. It is raining here and did not want it to get the car out in the weather until I am sure the module sealant has cured.

My fingers are crossed on the both repairs. Thank you and the other members for your help.

Jamie

The following users liked this post:
Gus (09-27-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 PM

No TB and ABS codes for 24 hours. Fingers are still crossed. Now for the rear shock bushings. Any thoughts on the best place to get these bushings?

Jamie

Last edited by JCam; 09-28-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Failure engine mode