what does this XJS look like on paper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Ha ha thanks Grant. I would appreciate it. Oh by the way i shot you an email if you get time to read it.

Man you guys have all been great. I hope one day, after having a jag for many years I can help out another fellow Jag lover the way you guys are helping me! You dont learn some of this stuff in books!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 PM

Guys, this sounds too good to be true and I cant get in contact with them. (Rang the landline number but it is a fax instead.) Surely a converitble at this price there is a catch? Dang i wanna email them so we can start tearing it apart but what is with these people and no no use de computer?? arhh

1990 JAGUAR XJS V12 in ST KILDA VIC FOR SALE - JustCars.com.au

Old 07-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Great example of pre-purchase research

Hi guys, and Paul in particular ....

And I thought I was unique in the efforts I went to before purchasing any newcomer to our menagerie over the years ... ?

I have been reading all posts since mine back at #17 and complement all of you (locally, interstate, and internationally) on your open, honest and very sage comments. These go far more to the heart of why I joined JaguarForums in the first place, why I continue to enjoy it so much ... and serve as a great example to others in several vital ways:
  • the fact that Paul has been forced to work at arms length, demonstrates what can be achieved by a team of like minded enthusiasts;
  • the quality and depth of all your research has been exemplary;
  • the tyranny of isolation has meant that all this great research has been recorded for the benefit of all current and future XJS owners;
  • the occasional injections of humour help to leaven the technical;
  • above all, I suggest that all those posts which identify and discuss specific details and costs of repairing or replacing blemishes and/or wear go straight to the heart of every new or intending owner's most pressing questions ... What is a good Jaguar worth? ... What is a really good Jaguar worth?
So, on behalf of the many, let me applaud your diligence ... thank you for sharing so much of the detail ... and wish you well Paul with the outcome

PS ... am I correct in believing that as of today, Mellow Yellow has been withdrawn? It is now showing "sold".

Regards,
Ken

The following 4 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Grant Francis (07-23-2014), o1xjr (07-23-2014), orangeblossom (07-23-2014), paulyling (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 AM

Gday Ken. Thanks for the encouragment and kind words.

Mellow Yellow gone? Bugger. Well thats off the list then.

The new prospect above in St Kilda VIC is a little ambiguous. They cannot be reached, same as for True Blue 90. Well if that is the case the Blue Goose is the only real contender at them moment.

Well, glad to have you join this thread Ken.

The following 2 users liked this post by paulyling:
cat_as_trophy (07-23-2014), orangeblossom (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Gday Ken. Thanks for the encouragment and kind words.

Mellow Yellow gone? Bugger. Well thats off the list then.

The new prospect above in St Kilda VIC is a little ambiguous. They cannot be reached, same as for True Blue 90. Well if that is the case the Blue Goose is the only real contender at them moment.

Well, glad to have you join this thread Ken.
Hi Paul

I've found another way of getting the info on 'True Blue 90' So I'll send you a PM.

paulyling (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 AM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I have personally bought cars unseen online and spent quite a fair bit to get them right

I have also seen them online in other states organised to look at them either while travelling or just grabbing a flight only states I haven't bought a car from is Western Australia Canberra and Northern territory which mean really one state and 2 territory's (LOL)

Even after meeting the owners and having coffee and tea at there house I knew the car would need attention I just wanted the best one I could get for my money a good canvas to start with LOL

With Jaguars there is a rule of thumb I use make sure the owners are enthusiasts with realistic ideas just because they spent big dollars to get it right doesn't make it worth any more its only worth what someone will pay for it in the end

I speak from experience having had my XJR up for sale for nearly a year now had 3 guys look at it in that time its not the dearest or cheapest one for sale but has the biggest file on updates maintenances and tasteful modifications

Even had one guy email me to buy my old diff he obviously bought another and it now needs a new diff Good luck with that one

The XJS is another thing entirely like grant said 12 cylinders in full song with a nice exhaust sytem its a sound not many have heard and once heard never forgotten
but little things that need doing here and there soon add up one man's perfect is another man's POS been there haven't owned a car or bike that I haven't wanted to do something to including brand new as well

Also just because you own one doesn't mean you stop looking I am always looking need a bigger garage then I could have more cars

oh one day when I move out to acreage then I can have a decent size man-cave and it will have a no females allowed sign out front unless bringing food or refreshments (LOL)

There are plenty for sale always and there are some that have been very well sorted and maintained as well for not much more money than the standard fare

Still looking for a 90,s model with 7.5 litre motor and 5 speed manual It will turn up one day an it will be mine (LOL)

Last edited by doc; 07-23-2014 at 04:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by doc:
o1xjr (07-23-2014), orangeblossom (07-23-2014), paulyling (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 05:22 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

PS ... am I correct in believing that as of today, Mellow Yellow has been withdrawn? It is now showing "sold".
Maybe she's parked behind a certain series 1,

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-25-2014 at 06:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (07-23-2014), paulyling (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 AM

So cash is the go eh? How fat does $14500 look in an envelope?lol Did you say $11 for the other car? (u mean 11k?)

Oh heh by the way Grant. Did you mention you were going to get your stubbie cooler? lol
Hi Paul, This is what the stack of cash looks like I took to pick up Mellow Yellow today.

Nah, Just joking. that is it stashed in my jock draw for the weekend after I sold my boat($21K). I let the kids play with it for a bit then the bank charged me $20 for a bulk cash handling fee to deposit it. I thought banks took your cash for free.

The young bloke in the pics gets his "L"'s this year and is going to use the XJ6 as a learner. He thinks that is cool.And so do I,except I cop the fuel bill.

And if you buy blue goose the stubby cooler is mine for spotting it first,lol.

what does this XJS look like on paper?-dscn3095.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-dscn3092.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-dscn3084.jpgwhat does this XJS look like on paper?-dscn3089.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-23-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:02 AM

ha ha Clarke. Well finders keepers I guess! Wow that is a wad of cash. Everything is electronic now days you barely see cash.

The Blue Goose is still number one contender ATM. Wifey gave the go ahead even after I got my bloody tax bill ! (stupid working overseas and their lower tax rates)

Yes the stubbie cooler you can have if Grant forgets about it (shhh.....)

I still would love to hear back from True Blue 90. OG i took your advice thanks mate!

DOC thanks for the input too mate.

Well, tommorrow marks my 2nd week offshore. Week two. It means 3 weeks to go until i go hunting for a Jaguar in real life and not just by sending 1's and zero's. (sorry nerd joke)

you will be mine...oh yes....you will be mine.....

Old 07-23-2014, 06:25 AM

1.ha ha Clarke. Well finders keepers I guess! Wow that is a wad of cash. Everything is electronic now days you barely see cash.

2.The Blue Goose is still number one contender ATM. Wifey gave the go ahead even after I got my bloody tax bill ! (stupid working overseas and their lower tax rates)

3.Yes the stubbie cooler you can have if Grant forgets about it (shhh.....)

4.I still would love to hear back from True Blue 90. OG i took your advice thanks mate!

5.Well, tommorrow marks my 2nd week offshore. Week two. It means 3 weeks to go until i go hunting for a Jaguar in real life and not just by sending 1's and zero's. (sorry nerd joke)

1. Guess that ended the first JF Queensland meet.

2.You know my thoughts on that one from PM's(buy it so I get a free stubby cooler)

3.You will have to fill it with a JD and cola

4.not happening.

And that was a pretty cool wad of cash to have, Asian (crim looking) dude came and and said, "you take 20k cash I buy now",so I negotiate with him up to 21k. Or he got me down, original sale price was $22.5k. I would have taken $17k, that is why you have bargaining power here. A seller always knows his bottom dollar before he advertises,just prays for more.

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-25-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 AM

the occasional injections of humour help to leaven the technical
Ken, I hope you are not referring to me here,As you know all I say is totally serious stuff. Nothing is a joke.(lol)

The following 3 users liked this post by o1xjr:
cat_as_trophy (07-23-2014), orangeblossom (07-23-2014), paulyling (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 AM

lol. Large wads of cash make me nervous.

Speaking of cash.

currently in the midst of sorting out my tax this year so i can buy my toy. it is bloody confusing working overseas as they dont take out all the tax and you have to go home and declare it as if you earnt it in Oz then pay the remainder tax. Arrhhh bloody taxes!

The less tax the more jag i say

Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM

The light hearted side of these forums make all the big things seem so much easier. The thought of a fire in my Jag after 2 months of ownership would have bought me to tears,these guys made me smile while I spent 12 hour days paint stripping and sanding,cleaning etc(bloody knuckles,shitty wife) and all.
And I came out the other side with a better car .

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr
It doesn't matter if any of them sell,there are going to be plenty to look at when you get home. Another just as good always seems to pop up just after you buy,I should know by now not to keep looking after I buy.
You have time to spare and a car to drive so don't rush the purchase,it may well be another couple of work trips before you find one.
I looked at about 15 cars over 3 months.
Originally Posted by Katoh
Here you go Mate, got your name written all over it!
this is what you want a car where the previous owners spent mega dollars fixing the bugs for you and selling at a complete loss, and its in your state! Like all second hand cars you must look at it first.
Jaguar XJS H E 1985 2D Coupe 3 SP Automatic 5 3L Multi Point F INJ | eBay
Told ya so , one gone, a new one arrived.

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-25-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 10,338 Likes on 6,839 Posts

Here ya go.

Good reading in here Paul.

Eletrical theory as per Joseph Lucas.doc

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
cat_as_trophy (07-23-2014), orangeblossom (07-23-2014), paulyling (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM

If my car has let all the smoke out, does that mean nothing electrical made by Lucas will work when I replace the IRS.

read it,lol

Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Great moments in XJS hunting

Hi fellas,

You have reinforced some basic but very important stuff here ... there comes a point in the life of any oil rig tech seeking to purchase, maintain, and then drive a big beautiful V12 Jaguar XJS when ...
  • he may not need a compulsory weekly conference with his bank manager;
  • he may prefer that he actually owned the oil rig and product; yet owning a bank would be far less messy;
  • he may find some fall by the wayside; others may be beyond reach; but there will always be a ready source of supply.
I like this latter point ... it appeals to my finer reason ... and is borne out by personal experience. There is no truth in it relying on perpetual motion theory, namely, that there are actually more XJSs now for sale than were ever made ... LOL

Especially for an enthusiasts' car like the XJS, the dominant high ground in any sale negotiation can never be forced by the seller. It is the seller who needs to sell. The buyer chooses which car to buy. Fortunately for sellers, far too many buyers are unskilled and thus sacrifice their bargaining strengths. Look to Jaguar Australia who, even with the modest S-Type and X-Type at the end of their production runs, were offering them with huge new-car discounts.

So, patience and diligence are your best friends Paul. So also, is getting someone to accompany you when you reach the serious stuff. In our home, it has always been a "two of us" thing that has served us well in tempering emotional exuberance at a time when (for any major purchase or career move) you need that least of all.

And my 2c comes free,
Ken

Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul, This is what the stack of cash looks like I took to pick up Mellow Yellow today.

Nah, Just joking. that is it stashed in my jock draw for the weekend after I sold my boat($21K). I let the kids play with it for a bit then the bank charged me $20 for a bulk cash handling fee to deposit it. I thought banks took your cash for free.

The young bloke in the pics gets his "L"'s this year and is going to use the XJ6 as a learner. He thinks that is cool.And so do I,except I cop the fuel bill.

And if you buy blue goose the stubby cooler is mine for spotting it first,lol.

Attachment 91320Attachment 91321Attachment 91322Attachment 91323
I'm thinking about all the Petrol, I could buy with that!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 PM

ha ha ha ha that was a good read Grant! Sounds like the electrics on the rig!

ok so what does the Jury think of this blighter then?:

Jaguar XJS H E 1985 2D Coupe 3 SP Automatic 5 3L Multi Point F INJ | eBay

She hasnt been driven much. Damn the price is low....mmmm....and some mention of rust. Sound honest enough for starters and and I can get it sent in the mail?! lol Must be a big envelope!

Again they spent alot of doe and are selling it for less. I guess thats just how you roll when you have one of these and you wanna sell.

Why cant these people leave email address's dammit!

Heh thanks Ken. It comes much appreciated.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

lol. Large wads of cash make me nervous.

Speaking of cash.

currently in the midst of sorting out my tax this year so i can buy my toy. it is bloody confusing working overseas as they dont take out all the tax and you have to go home and declare it as if you earnt it in Oz then pay the remainder tax. Arrhhh bloody taxes!

The less tax the more jag i say
Maybe you need one of these! or if you are a Self Employed Contractor, you could maybe set up an Offshore Company in somewhere like Belize and have your money paid there.

Then only Pay Tax on the money you bring back.

I don't know what the rules are in OZ but it may be worth checking out.

Offshore Banking for those wishing to reduce taxes, shelter assets and grow their wealth

paulyling (07-23-2014)

Quick Reply: what does this XJS look like on paper?