Warning ... Online Car Scammers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Warning ... Online Car Scammers?

Purpose of this post is a “heads up” warning to take care when contacting online sellers … especially of prestige vehicles offered at low prices. It is not intended to be alarmist, nor a lecture, but flows out of recent personal experience and later discussion around Australia.

Some months ago, I chased a particularly attractive late series Brisbane Jaguar advertised on [carsales.com.au] at a keen price. Following continued inability to contact the seller, I gained help from my colleague Clarke [o1xjr]. Between us, and despite all our phone calls, the seller had appeared to “disappear”. I lodged a formal complaint with carsales, had that acknowledged, but they made no effort to remove the listing. Inevitably, we gave up the chase. Over the next several months, I became alarmed that the same car was then re-advertised no less than 3 further times across carsales and ebay, always keenly priced, and always demanding that prospective buyers must lodge their phone number to learn how to contact seller. Does the car exist? But what could be the motive in offering with no intent to sell?

And here is where caution is advised. I am now aware that reverse-engineered versions of “telephone directory” software enable a search on any one field to reveal all. Giving your home phone number in such suspicious circumstances allows anyone to learn your name and address. Having the address of a known Jaguar buyer, observation and phone call to confirm home is empty, all provide thieves with a possible leg-up.

Call me paranoid, but after consulting with regional and even AFP, rather than reassurance I found the opposite … several staff pointing to a trend known to police ... and which has added to our concern. That neither carsales nor ebay were prepared to follow-up, seems far from acceptable. We are not bashing these selling media … we continue to use them as tools … but extreme caution seems warranted. The prudent traditional approach seems worth repeating …
  • deal only with real persons and get proof they are the legal owner;
  • demand documented proof that the car's title is unencumbered;
  • negotiations done; is giving and accepting a deposit legally binding?;
  • only for receipt of full payment, need buyer be named and addressed;
  • at no stage, is it wise to give out address or phone … or worse, both.
Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Ken

The following 4 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Grant Francis (07-29-2014), patmuna (08-08-2014), red_101au (10-11-2014), scottmg (07-30-2014)