Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Rustproofing and undercoating our cars for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,
Not sure why it took me so long to find my way here. Saying hello from Burlington. I have been a member for a while but i seemed not to have completed my CP. My love for jags started in the 80's when i lived in England and i currently have an 05 x type and an 04 xj8 with 70k.

Question to my fellow north americans.. Should i get my xj8 rust proofed ? I understand they sometimes have to drill holes to do this. also Krown or Canadian tire?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Shugs, I would advize that you use krown rust control and no one else. Krown claims to be the best. They were sued over the claim by a rival company. They answered in court and proved in court that their product is superior. The newspaper article is amazing to read. Krown is competitively priced and easy to find with great warranty as and free "touch up" applications if you have an accident that is repaired before you are due for your annual application.
As far as the plug holes go I am a concours judge and we do not take points off for thongs like that as long as they are neatly done and not stupidly overzealous.

My opinion. BTW, I do not own a krown franchise, I do not own krown stock either. I just drive the evidence of krowns work in some well preserved cars.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by shugs
Question to my fellow north americans.. Should i get my xj8 rust proofed ? I understand they sometimes have to drill holes to do this. also Krown or Canadian tire?
I think this really depends on whether and how you store your car in the winter. My preference is to have a good permanent undercoat (the $400 treatment from a local detailer, just once, not yearly) and not drive in my Jag if there's salt on the roads (ie. I store it as soon as the first salt goes down and bring it out only after there has been a good heavy rain in the spring).

If you must use your car in the winter, I'd go with annual Krown treatments. The drilled holes are not a concern for me. I use this approach on my year-round vehicles but it's just delaying the inevitable.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

There is another excellent option: Rust Check. This is also a Canadian company and while they have franchise dealers you can also apply this yourself - both for undercarriage and inner panel use (two different formulations). The red inner panel rustproofing is also a superb lubricant (especially good for the door lock mechanisms), harmless to electrical connections - I cannot say enough good things about it. I have restored 21 Jaguars and used it on every one - and I have no connection with this company other than as a very satisfied user. You can buy Rust Check at Canadian Tire!

Old 12-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Default Rustproofing and undercoating our cars for the winter

This is an important decision for anyone driving their car year round. I'd like to consolidate the discussion into a thread of it's own for future reference. Please feel free to add your own recommendations and experience!

Thanks

Mike