Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans, and transfer case fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Trans, and transfer case fluid.

It is coming up on fall here, and I want to get things ready for our, what seems like six months of winter, as in putting the convertible away, and getting my X Type ready for the snow. She has already had the whole underneath of the body, and inside the wheel wells sprayed with an eighth inch of bed lining, Now it is time to change out the trans, differential, and transfer case fluids. What fluid is used for the trans, other than the $56.00 a litre transmission fluid, that Jaguar is running a sale on now, and the I don't know what to use transfer case, and differential fluid? Any help is appreciated. My car is an 07, and I would like her to last as least as long as me.....Mike

Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
It is coming up on fall here, and I want to get things ready for our, what seems like six months of winter, as in putting the convertible away, and getting my X Type ready for the snow. She has already had the whole underneath of the body, and inside the wheel wells sprayed with an eighth inch of bed lining, Now it is time to change out the trans, differential, and transfer case fluids. What fluid is used for the trans, other than the $56.00 a litre transmission fluid, that Jaguar is running a sale on now, and the I don't know what to use transfer case, and differential fluid? Any help is appreciated. My car is an 07, and I would like her to last as least as long as me.....Mike
I use Castrol multi import for my trans and it has helped with a slight drag in gears that I used to have. Just a simple drain and fill on that. As for the transfer case and differential, 75-140 gear oil is a must. It sounds as though the favorites here are Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Amsoil but brand is your choice of course. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (08-27-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

I used Royal Purple Max ATF for the trans with no issues over the last few thousand miles. It meets the Jaguar spec and the JASO-1 spec, and it is widely available in Autozone, Pepboys, etc...

As for the transfer case and differential, I plan on doing those soon with the Royal Purple fluid (just to keep things consistent). So if you complete those jobs and have any pointers I would love to hear about it.

mrplow58 (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Mike,

I just did the same with a recently purchased '04, 3.0L - X-type and I can't give enough praise to Amsoil's products.

The AT was slipping a bit and in "sports" mode it had difficulty figuring out its shift points under acceleration.

No B.S. within 50 miles of draining out the black soup in my "sealed for life" AT, all of the slippage symptoms disappeared. Not diminished... but Gone!

I've used Amsoil exclusively in my daily drives, trucks, rally sports mod'd. I think they were the first in synthetic oils and I believe in synthetics. They're not the cheapest, nor as expensive as the liquid "Gold" the dealer sells, but what's a few extra bucks now compared to a new AT, or TC?

Their signature ATF oil meets all standards required by both Jaguar and Jasco.
Their signature oil filter when used with their oil is guaranteed for 15 to 25K miles, depending upon use.

Here's a list of what I bought:

Product Description Qty Price
PREG6M-EA 6 MONTH PC REGISTRATION 1 10.00
ATFQT-EA Synthetic Multi-Vehicle SS ATF 10 89.00
SVOQT-EA Synthetic 75W140 Gear Lube 1 13.05
EAO34-EA Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter 1 13.15
ASLQT-EA Synthetic 5W30 SS Motor Oil 7 54.95

I'm not a salesperson!!! I believe in this product because it's served me well over the years. I'm sure there are other products that will do the job, but when I review the tests results and comparisons Amsoil publishes on their website it convinces me all the more.

P.S. I haven't yet changed my TC fluid. My tech only knows how to change the oil by removing, or partially removing the Transfer Case (Lots and Lots of Labor Costs) I showed him Bojangles method and I saw the light go on in his head, but he's yet to get the equipment to do the job. If you're reading this Owen please move me up a notch on the priority list ( I love you dude I'm just scared about what might happen if we wait too long).

Best of luck Mike

mrplow58 (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hobbs
Hey Mike,

I just did the same with a recently purchased '04, 3.0L - X-type and I can't give enough praise to Amsoil's products.

The AT was slipping a bit and in "sports" mode it had difficulty figuring out its shift points under acceleration.

No B.S. within 50 miles of draining out the black soup in my "sealed for life" AT, all of the slippage symptoms disappeared. Not diminished... but Gone!

I've used Amsoil exclusively in my daily drives, trucks, rally sports mod'd. I think they were the first in synthetic oils and I believe in synthetics. They're not the cheapest, nor as expensive as the liquid "Gold" the dealer sells, but what's a few extra bucks now compared to a new AT, or TC?

Their signature ATF oil meets all standards required by both Jaguar and Jasco.
Their signature oil filter when used with their oil is guaranteed for 15 to 25K miles, depending upon use.

Here's a list of what I bought:

Product Description Qty Price
PREG6M-EA 6 MONTH PC REGISTRATION 1 10.00
ATFQT-EA Synthetic Multi-Vehicle SS ATF 10 89.00
SVOQT-EA Synthetic 75W140 Gear Lube 1 13.05
EAO34-EA Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter 1 13.15
ASLQT-EA Synthetic 5W30 SS Motor Oil 7 54.95

I'm not a salesperson!!! I believe in this product because it's served me well over the years. I'm sure there are other products that will do the job, but when I review the tests results and comparisons Amsoil publishes on their website it convinces me all the more.

P.S. I haven't yet changed my TC fluid. My tech only knows how to change the oil by removing, or partially removing the Transfer Case (Lots and Lots of Labor Costs) I showed him Bojangles method and I saw the light go on in his head, but he's yet to get the equipment to do the job. If you're reading this Owen please move me up a notch on the priority list ( I love you dude I'm just scared about what might happen if we wait too long).

Best of luck Mike
I guess I'll be using Castrol Multi Import for the trans, since I have about 20 liters of fresh settled out fluid, from power flushing the 41,000 mile flood car trans in my XK8, and spending more, to keep Kitty Boo Boo alive, with the Amsoil or Royal Purple in my transfer case, because that is what I fear the most. The transfer case costs 3 times what the trans costs. I plan on about 4 drain and fills on the trans. I haven't looked yet, but how do you change the trans fluid, since there is no dipstick? I already ready know how to change the transfer case fluid, and find it kind of comical, with draining it while it is sitting flat, and filling it at a 20 some degree angle. Am I correct on that method also?.....Mike

Old 08-29-2015, 05:38 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
I guess I'll be using Castrol Multi Import for the trans, since I have about 20 liters of fresh settled out fluid, from power flushing the 41,000 mile flood car trans in my XK8, and spending more, to keep Kitty Boo Boo alive, with the Amsoil or Royal Purple in my transfer case, because that is what I fear the most. The transfer case costs 3 times what the trans costs. I plan on about 4 drain and fills on the trans. I haven't looked yet, but how do you change the trans fluid, since there is no dipstick? I already ready know how to change the transfer case fluid, and find it kind of comical, with draining it while it is sitting flat, and filling it at a 20 some degree angle. Am I correct on that method also?.....Mike
What? on the cost thing...think again

If memory serves me on these JATCO transmissions..near the transmission drain plug, there is a 4mm allen screw type plug,,this is a level indicator..you're to fill until fluid comes out of that little hole..the Fill hole is on top just behind the battery..I think a another larger allen plug...just make sure your tranny is at operating temps.

The Transfer Case is drained by lifting the right side of the car, lifted as far as you dare go without tipping the car over...then lift the left side the same way and put in about 700ml or until it comes out the hole and quick like a bunny put the drain plug back in..I did mine twice within a 1000 miles for a good exchange...Don't let anybody worry you that you need an exact amount...extra the better as there is a vent on top to relieve the excess should you overfill, it's just frickin' gears and a viscus coupling, overfilling won't hurt anything..mine never did let out any excess.

PS..I'm a fellow Hoosier from Evansville.

Last edited by DPK; 08-29-2015 at 05:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DPK:
mrplow58 (08-29-2015), rocket11 (06-20-2021)
Old 08-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
What? on the cost thing...think again

If memory serves me on these JATCO transmissions..near the transmission drain plug, there is a 4mm allen screw type plug,,this is a level indicator..you're to fill until fluid comes out of that little hole..the Fill hole is on top just behind the battery..I think a another larger allen plug...just make sure your tranny is at operating temps.

The Transfer Case is drained by lifting the right side of the car, lifted as far as you dare go without tipping the car over...then lift the left side the same way and put in about 700ml or until it comes out the hole and quick like a bunny put the drain plug back in..I did mine twice within a 1000 miles for a good exchange...Don't let anybody worry you that you need an exact amount...extra the better as there is a vent on top to relieve the excess should you overfill, it's just frickin' gears and a viscus coupling, overfilling won't hurt anything..mine never did let out any excess.

PS..I'm a fellow Hoosier from Evansville.
I guess the transfer cases are the big sellers on these cars, and although the engine can be had for damn near nothing, the yards see a chance to rape you on the transfer case......Supply and demand I guess. I guess if we were to meet for a pint, Indy would probably be the place. I would be in the XK8, unless it is wet or there is snow on the ground. She gets damn near 27 on the highway, and sadly the AWD in my X Type takes a serious toll on gas mileage.....Mike

Old 08-29-2015, 06:25 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

It'd have to be a little further down I-70...say St Louis..I now live in OKC, OK..

Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
It'd have to be a little further down I-70...say St Louis..I now live in OKC, OK..
Still a possibility. If my wife is working, I love to go on vacations by myself. Traveling the back roads, eating at mom and pop cafes, staying in 50s and 60s motels, top down, playing Santana, or other soul uplifting music. She likes going to Disney world, with our daughter, or to her cousin in Arizona. I would perform a self colonoscopy than go to Disney world again, and she hates back roads, without modern hotels. I like mattresses, that try and swallow me, and she needs everything new......Life is grand