Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Black Jag scratch/swirl removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Black Jag scratch/swirl removal

Hi All,

As with any black car, my black XJ8 is no exception when it comes to swirls and scratches showing up. Once I get it back from the transmission shop, I plan to tackle the paint, and I'm hoping to get some advice.

From a distance, it looks great, but as you get closer, you start to see a lot of swirls and scratches (the previous owner had two young boys - they may have contributed). From what I know (which isn't much) about paint, I believe almost all of these are just clear-coat scratches.

I've been looking at videos and reading articles all morning about how to remove these best, but I was hoping for some unbiased input. I'll probably first focus on the hood. There aren't really isolated areas that have scratches and swirls, they span the hood (again, you can only really see them when you're up close). Most of the videos and information online assume you probably have a single scratch in one little area that you want to get rid of. At that rate, I'll be indefinitely removing scratches, because by the time I get them all taken care of, there will have been new ones.

I'd like to find some way that I can do the whole hood at once. I don't mind taking several hours to do it, but I'd like it to not take a month or years. Is that unreasonable? I noticed that there are some waxing/polishing products specifically made for black vehicles - any in particular that I should use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Bill,
Big topic this and many people have differing views but here is mine.

Once you have washed and dried the car, use a good quality clay bar. You will be amazed at how much more comes off.

Get yourself a dual action polisher. Follow tutorial videos. I have the Meguiars DA and I think it is a great tool to have. Use this with a good compound.

If you still have swirls or scratches after that, do it again.

Next, using the polisher with a polishing pad, go over with polish. I usually do 2 coats of polish.

Lastly, apply the wax. I put 2 coats of wax.

Always use micro fibre towels to buff up after each each coat.

Even with the polisher, this amount of work will take me all weekend though I only do it twice a year.
I only use Meguiars products but that is my choice.

Hope this helps,

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (07-16-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

+1 on the use of clay bar and the Meguiar's product line. There is also a ton of posts in the detailing section of the forum with others recommendations.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

+2

Wash - Clay Bar - Porter Cable random orbital with Meguiar's products is my preferred process.

I've only had one black car - an XJ8L. Beautiful but it needed double the frequency of cleaning and polishing than any other colour I've had.

Graham

Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Bill,

You may want to try autopiaforums.com

Thanks to that site I went from zero knowledge about detailing to where now I can use the reflection from the paint on my car to shave.

We did my next door neighbor's black VDP a few weeks ago and it looks spectacular.

Best regards,

Old 07-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Bill, I have found a product that I swear by now. It is called "3M Perfect-It III, Stage 2". You can only find this product at stores that mix automotive paint. So, it may take a little bit of looking as you local Autozone/Advance/Napa will most likely not carry it. But, this stuff will do what you are after. You can use this stuff with an orbital buffer, but you have to be careful where there are sharp edges (ie, the gap between the hood and fender, the edge of the hood where it stops for the windshield, crease in the sheetmetal where it bends around the car, etc). With the power buffer/polisher, it can concentrate the pressure enough that this product will burn through the paint. hence why I tend to use this product by simply using my hand and some elbow grease. Never had an issue with damaging the paint. From there, apply your favorite wax and you are golden.

The other thing I like about this product is that it works on everything for the exterior of the car. Once you are done with the paint, use this stuff on the chrome to brighten it back up. Go up to the headlights, apply some and get rid of the haze in the headlights. You can even grab some 0000 steel wool and this product and remove some of the fine scratches in your windshield. I find it to be a wonder product.

Now for the downside (you knew there had to be one). The cost. A quart bottle is about $50. But, that quart bottle will last you for years. You can do your car 6 or more times without a problem. A little goes a long way with this product. I use an old towel to apply and a second towel to remove what is left behind and any excess product.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

bill...i am responding to what you seem to have focused on.....working with the color black.....i had a black jag at one point.....where the paint/lacquer....was beginning to alligator..in a few spots....much more serious than what you are describing....however, after the compounding...i used turtle wax...true colors specifically black.....and it fill in the swirls.....however the treatment does not last very long...perhaps a few months if that.....

i think the advice you have received thus far is terrific as well....good luck and let us know...how you made out.....jagjunky