Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Black wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black wax?

I HEARD ARDEX sells a wax called black wax whic is supposaby superior for black cars, has anybody seen or used this? i want somethind for black paint that is the best easiest stuff to use to keep color looking rich while filling in those little scratches>>> any other recomendations are welcome

Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you've put your finger on it yourself when you mention scratches. All the colored waxes I've used in the past have helped in the 'covering scratches' dept. I don't use waxes on a current car, just cold water, a sponge (brush for the wheels), and an old bath towel to dry off -- otherwise I get marks left from our water which is hard.
Leedsman.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used black wax. It's a pain since you get black-stained hands and towels. It does help minimize the appearance of scratches slightly. Because it's such a mess, I only used it every second or third waxing.

Ultimately, I've found Meguiar's swirl remover followed by their NXT wax to do a better job at making the black finish look good than their black wax.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

3M makes a scratch and swirl mark remover for dark cars that works excellent either by machine or by hand. You do need to then add a topcoat of carnuba wax afterwords for protection though.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The base coat or colour coat is applied and a clear coat is added to provide depth and protection. Regardless of its original colour of the wax, any product applied on top of the clear coat needs to be transparent otherwise the paint colour will be muted, if you can see the colour of a wax on the paint surface it’s applied too thickly

Claims that certain waxes are formulated and / or manufactured for specific paint types, paint colours or made specifically for a certain vehicle marquee or that they are matched to particular characteristics of individual paint systems has absolutely no factual chemical basis, I think it is merely marketing hype.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

From my 25 years of experience, hands on detailing of 1000's of vehicles I have never used black wax before.....To me it is marketing hype or just smoke and mirrors...........I have used 3M Perfect IT 2 polish for dark cars (Ebony colored polish), but a clear wax was applied as a topper.......

Hope this helps you make a decision.....

Have a great day all!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by blackstr
I've used black wax. It's a pain since you get black-stained hands and towels.
This is true, though i've since learned to use butt inspection gloves so as to keep my hands clean though sweaty.
There is some collateral damage with towels though, next time il try blasting them with hi pressure water right as i finish and see if that gets them clean enough for washing machine to finish (seems to work when i clean rims)
otherwise a gummy residual stays on the mf towels

Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

This to me sounds like marketing. If the scratch is in the clear coat then the best thing to do is to polish it out with a good polish. I've used Meguiar's Machine Glaze by hand (don't use a high speed polisher unless you really know what you're doing) and it worked very well at removing fine scratches and some key marks (from when i lived in some crappy apartments). Use the polish and follow it up with a good coat of wax and you'll be very happy with the finish.