Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Clay bar question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Clay bar question

I just purchased the Meguiars "Smooth Surface" clay kit, but it doesn't say how coarse the clay bars are? I want the least abrassive available. Anyone out there had experience using this product? Do you think it is o.k. for first time user? Thank You!!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used this kit once on my S-type and it worked perfectly. It isn't abrasive at all, make sure you work it small areas and keep the area lubricated with quick detailer. As you move from one area to another fold the clay on itself. The smooth finish will be amazing and ready for a nice layer of wax. I use the Meguires Gold Class Carnauba Plus(paste wax). There are a couple of videos on youtube.com about these products, so check them out on there as well. I have never gone wrong with Meguiar's products they work as stated and can be found at your local Wal-Mart for reasonable prices, they also smell nice. After using the quick detailer and or the wax you will immediately notice the nice shine and water resistance on your car, it beads up and rolls off like you have a new paint job.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi,

I purchased and used the Meguires Clay Bar kit today and it works just as stated on the box. I purchased the kit at AutoZone, tested it on a small surface of my S-Type to remove small surface contaminants and it worked great - the surfaces are silky smooth and no scratches. I finished both the hood bonnet and the rear deck.

I have not yet applied the wax but plan to do it soon.

- Michael

Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two thumbs up for the meguires clay kit also. I did it on the jag this weekend. The paint was good but now it's almost perfect. The real test was on my mothers black BMW which really needed some attention. This was my first experience with a clay bar and it was a night and day difference. There was a sample of their quick spray wax in the kit wasn't to impressed with that but it did smell wonderful as was stated earlier

Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mick99
I just purchased the Meguiars "Smooth Surface" clay kit, but it doesn't say how coarse the clay bars are? I want the least abrassive available. Anyone out there had experience using this product? Do you think it is o.k. for first time user? Thank You!!
For the consumer or the novice the Meguiars "Smooth Surface" kit is ideal...It is on the least course level on the clay spectrum, safe to use if used properly and induces very minor scratching.

BEWARE.........Discard if clay falls to the ground.

If you find that you need a clay with a bit more bite, Auto Magic's Clay Magic "Blue" or "Fine" is awesome!