Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Cleaning Convertible Top inside liner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleaning Convertible Top inside liner

Does everyone still agree that Zymol is the best product for cleaning the inside liner of a convertible top? If there are other thoughts on this it would be appreciated, before I go out and spend on the Zymol.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tufguysf
Does everyone still agree that Zymol is the best product for cleaning the inside liner of a convertible top? If there are other thoughts on this it would be appreciated, before I go out and spend on the Zymol.
If I may ask, what type of surface are you trying to clean?? cloth, vinyl, alicante or leather...thanx

Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave, as a former Newport Beach local, I hope you're keeping all the OC cars clean and shiny.
I guess the liner would be considered cloth. It's the soft velvety fabric liner. Not vinyl, not leather, and outside of being a town in Spain, I don't know what alicante is. I used some resolve very lightly on the liner, and it brought out some of the dirt. But, not all of it. Obviously, I don't want to use anything that will cause the fabric to mat or come out. The prior owner was a heavy smoker, so the liner was/is pretty dirty.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The previous owner of mine also did not keep the liner particularly clean...the liner is very dirty...enough that if you run your hand on it..it comes off on your hand...I may try vacuuming it first...

Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tufguysf
Hi Dave, as a former Newport Beach local, I hope you're keeping all the OC cars clean and shiny.
I guess the liner would be considered cloth. It's the soft velvety fabric liner. Not vinyl, not leather, and outside of being a town in Spain, I don't know what alicante is. I used some resolve very lightly on the liner, and it brought out some of the dirt. But, not all of it. Obviously, I don't want to use anything that will cause the fabric to mat or come out. The prior owner was a heavy smoker, so the liner was/is pretty dirty.
Nice....glad t know this, love Newport Beach!...BTW, we opened a detail studio in the city of Tustin so if you have any friends or family in need of services please send them our way..

From what I have seen, most of the Jags do use, my mistake...."Alcantera" which is basically a new generation material made of Micro Fiber. I would suggest using a steamer for this type of job, little or zero water is best to avoid stains or rings in the fabric. I have used a slight mist application of APC+ which has assisted in boosting the steamer strength.

Let me know if you we're able to get this cleared up...