Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Detailing confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Detailing confusion

hey guys so i been doing my research on detailing my cars[2003 jaguar S-type (british racing green) and a 2007 ford fivehundred(black clear-coat)]. I'm in no way a professional but would like a nice shiny paint finish. My problem is that the more i research the more confused i get. I'm getting really frustrated because it seems like i read about one thing, go out buy it, and read more about it and get told that its total crap! So i figured i trust you guys so i wanted to get your opinions. Please understand that I'm 18 and don't have too much money so im stuck at buying stuff at walmart, target, auto zone, napa, and kragen. Also i have no intention of buying stuff online. I really would like to get a list of recommended products for waxing.

1)I feel like i cant always use a cleaner wax because the clear coat will start thinning and peal in a few years..true or false?

2)Any one use turtle wax hard shell? i heard great things about it but it seems too good to be true because of the price.

3) i have a bottle of DU PONT teflon ultra spray wax and i LOVE it. Thing is that i cant find it anywhere anymore so i need to find a new wax.

Can anyone please shine some light on all this? thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

carwash - meguiars gold class $7 at walmart and $15 at autozone.

what you need is a claybar, but they meguairs clay bar kit at autozone for $20.

after claybarr you CAN use a cleaner wax, but I recommend just meguiars nxt 2.0 tech wax.

then your set, thats the detailing you describe. stick with meguairs and youll be okay.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

srjag, first off, the need to use a wax cleaner or something like that is not always needed. Normally a good look at the clear coat will give you an idea if you need to or not. You are correct in that using a wax cleaner/stripper can wear the clear coat down/off of the car, but unless you are doing this like 2-3 times a year, you don't have to worry about it. There is enough clear on the car that by the time you wear the clear off, the car will need a paint job anyways due to fading and cracking.

The stuff I like is not the easiest to find, but it is 3M's Perfect It III. It is essentially a liquid 1500 grit polishing compound. You use this on the car and it will shine better than it came off the show room floor. The other nice thing about this product is that it is good on everything!!!!! Paint, chrome, glass, etc. So, no need for a product for the paint, another for the chrome, a third for the glass. This product does it all. The only caution that I will tell you is that if you are using a power buffer, don't get on the edge of say a door and hold the buffer in one spot. This stuff is capable of going straight through the clear coat is misused. But, if you keep the door shut and keep the buffer moving, it won't be an issue. I used this stuff on my truck after years of 4x4ing and dragging branches and whatnot down the side of the truck. Took out pretty much every scratch on the side. Finding the 3M stuff is a bit more difficult that most products, but if you have an automotive paint store in the area (Autozone, Advanced, etc don't count unless they have a section where you can buy paint by the gallon), they should carry this product. At last look, it was $13 a bottle and one bottle will easily do you car twice, if not 3 times.

Now, for wax, I am a big fan of the Meguiars Gold Class wax. I personally use the paste, not the liquid. I seem to get a better result with the paste.

I mentioned cleaning the glass. I know what you are going to say when I tell you this, but trust me, I felt the same way till I tried it. You pour some of the 3M product on to the glass and then using 0000 steel wool, rub the compound into the glass. I know what you are thinking, steel wool on my windshield is going to scratch it to hell and back. It doesn't. TRUST ME. This will pull any products that has built up on the glass and even remove some of the small scratches too. As for chrome, treat it just like paint.