Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Drying after a car wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drying after a car wash

What suggestions do people have about what to use to dry car after car wash? I've heard the absorber is good any thoughts?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Micro fibre towels, simply the best and don't put scratches in the paintwork.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting point, Mike I agree with the micro-fibre towels as reccomended by Jim above, and as they are so useful. At stores like costco you can get a bundle at a good price.
Jagur in Aberdeen did a Pureguard thing and treated the car as an incentive when I bought my 2nd X Type and it did a very very good job. Every time I hosed the car all the surface gunge, dust and dirt washed away and the paintwork underneath was mint. I was really chuffed with it. You still had to wash and repolish the car every so often as the Pureguard came in guises of "Car Shampoo, paintwork restorer (polish), glass cleaner and wheel cleaner" and apart from the wheel cleaner which I will not use, I don't use anything on my wheels apart from normal car shampoo like Turtlewax.
Now, this is the grey area, most people disagree with the use of treatments that I have come across and have a negative view, i don't share this as I believe if you have a new or immaculate car, then it's worth looking after!
In the Uk, the price is around £400 - 500 and if you are buying a new car, I'd reccomend you get it as a freeby! There are few products that maintain a real good shine and level of protection so do what you think is best. I'm not saying get the pureguard as there are probably others as good and since I don't have that model now, I tend to zip wax shampoo, then hose and top it with Turtlewax original (the green bottle). It also tends to be a good workout as I really rub it in and it's a nice stretch at the weekend!
Actually Jim, I haven't heard of the absorber, well if it works for you...

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 07-09-2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: I had to change it
Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

I use an electric leaf blower to get most of the water off and then finish with micro fiber towels.

The blower gets water out of crevices and works very well to dry the wheels.

Just be sure you keep it elevated off the ground so it doesn't pick up any grit and blow it on the car.

I think there are blower models (expensive $$ ??)with filters made for this purpose. I think it started with dryers for motorcycles, which are tough to dry because of the intricacy of the parts and pieces on a bike.

Try not to let the neighbors see you doing this, it looks somewhat crazy, but works very well, lol!
Vector

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Use ONLY quality microfiber towels and restrict the surface contact to a minimum with as little pressure as possible by dabbing instead of repeated wiping of areas. With that black paint, even a spec of dust on your towel will cause marring and visible scratches in the clearcoat. I have a 2012 XF and found that a blower works well to get the water out of the side view mirrors, window edge trim, front grill, door handles, rear sensors, etc. Otherwise, unless you have soft water, you will find water spots in those areas.

I have started using a spray wax on the car just after the final rinse but before drying the car. This helps to add another layer of protection as it adds a lubricant between your towel and the clearcoat. It also gives you a nice shine and extends the life of the wax or sealant you currently have on the car.

This may sound extreme, but I don't want to spend another 3 day weekend polishing the scratches out of my car again. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Last edited by XJL; 07-09-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

+3 on the micro fibre towels

Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

+4 on Micro Fibre

Use once to dry the car and then hand them over to the domestic goddess (Mrs G) for machine washing without fabric conditioner.

Graham

Stuart Beattie (07-11-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
I use an electric leaf blower to get most of the water off and then finish with micro fiber towels.

The blower gets water out of crevices and works very well to dry the wheels.

Just be sure you keep it elevated off the ground so it doesn't pick up any grit and blow it on the car.

I think there are blower models (expensive $$ ??)with filters made for this purpose. I think it started with dryers for motorcycles, which are tough to dry because of the intricacy of the parts and pieces on a bike.

Try not to let the neighbors see you doing this, it looks somewhat crazy, but works very well, lol!
Vector
Im with vector on this one, I use my leaf blower it works very well but the neighbors get a kick out of it im sure

Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by navcanman
Im with vector on this one, I use my leaf blower it works very well but the neighbors get a kick out of it im sure
..another use for my leaf blower. Great.
i already use it to rev up the charcoal barbecue when it is a bit slow. Don't even need to rev it, just idle away..

Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I have been using large and small 'Waffle weave' microfiber towels. The Ultimate Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a large drying towel for big SUVs, trucks and vans! Towel-dry your vehicle with

The thing is huge with pockets for your hands. It soaks up an incredible amount of water leaving the surface really dry. I also proscribe to the dab rather than wipe technique. It can do the bonnet with just three dabs!!

I use a blower to to get water out of the awkward spots, wing mirrors, door handles, chrome trim etc.

Cheers,

Allan

Last edited by AllanG; 08-11-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
XJL

That Cobra towel is awsome and worth every penny. It will last for many years....just wash it in Woolite after each use along with your wash mitts.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by XJL
That Cobra towel is awsome and worth every penny. It will last for many years....just wash it in Woolite after each use along with your wash mitts.
Interesting, I never thought about using Woolite. Does it have any softeners in it? I currently use All Free and Clear and then add some white vinegar during the rinse cycle. It seems to work?

Cheers,

Allan

Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Interesting, I never thought about using Woolite. Does it have any softeners in it?
Allan
Whatever you do, DO NOT use fabric softeners on any towels that you want to remain absorbent.

The fabric softener actually reduces the towels ability to absorb water. That is one reason why bath towels with fabric softener added feel "clammy" and not very comfortable. IMHO, YMMV.
Vector

Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM
XJL

I know companies sell "Microfiber Detergent" but I've read that some of the pros also use Woolite and it works well. Just don't put "Bounce" or something similar in the dryer. I've also tried just hanging the towels in the garage to let them dry but I found that this caused a lint problem when drying the car. Now I always use the dryer.