Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Electric Polisher, or Good old Hard Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Polisher, or Good old Hard Work

Hi I recently purchased my first Jag a 2001 XJR, "best move I have ever made" I am thinking of purchasing a Meguiars G220 V2 but have never used one before would it be a good buy, or am I better sticking to hard work?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Interesting question.

People freak out over the brushes on mechanical car washes. Yet somehow, power buffing has become all the rage with the same people. How does it make sense that appying more pressure at higher speeds all of a sudden makes it okay, when mechanical car washes are the work of the devil with the same people?

It may have its place in scratch removal where the surrounding paint has to be worked down to the level of the scratch, but as a means of maintaining a shine, the logic is awfully dubious.

To be clear, it's all the rage on car forums, but:

paint correction == remove enough paint to blend the scratch

Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

you are removing a layer of paint until it is uniform in order to make it look good. removing hazing and scratches. I would say unless your paint is fried this is not at all necessary on a 2001 vehicle.

If you were to polish the car this would be a one time thing for at least id say 10 years. You would be doing it in order to get the car uniform so you could then maintain that look with wax and proper care the other owners did not take.

Again i wouldn't recommend this on a 2001. I wouldn't be as scared of it as plums is making it seem and a car wash it totally different. The reason car washes are bad is because the brushes get worn out and you are basically slapping fibers against the paint and putting fine scratches on it.

If you have severe scratches or swirls target that area and polish it by hand for right now. Overall do a good clean, clay, and wax of your car and i don't think you will be disappointed.

MY car is an 88 and it is BRG. It is dark and shows swirls very easily. At this point in its life it needs a good polish to get it back up to snuff. Really though the machines are usually used on dead paint where a car has white or translucent paint thats dried out on top. You can essentially sand through this to a free coat so it looks new again but then you should be very careful to protect this new coat

The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Geordie1 (07-20-2012), pembroke (01-10-2014)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Geordie1
Hi I recently purchased my first Jag a 2001 XJR, "best move I have ever made" I am thinking of purchasing a Meguiars G220 V2 but have never used one before would it be a good buy, or am I better sticking to hard work?

I polish and wax by hand so that's all I can speak to. I have used a professional detailer's services before and while the end result is good, so is my "hard work" as you say, when I polish and wax by hand. Mothers and Meguire's products are very good. Others would recommend others too.

Hand applying exterior car care products often provides great results and is, in my opinion, easy on the paint.

The following users liked this post:
Geordie1 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Geordie1
Good buy for a beginner, or the Porter Cable 7424XP...These machines once you get past the learning curve are going to be your best friend if you like doing minor correction, polishing and waxing....

Why work harder by hand if you can work smarter with a tool...

I work with a Flex 3401 and its a monster d/a, very aggressive!

Here is a great polisher kit that Adams Polishes offers, everything you need to get the job done with the simplicity of product and pad matching....perfect for the first timer!

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 08-02-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Geordie1 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Nice choice of Jag there, Gordo.

Mine is black and after asking around at some local detailers I realized that they really had no clue how to properly polish a black vehicle, (I live in a small town, not a lot of choices.)

I bought a Porter Cable random orbit buffer like this:
Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 7424 6-Inch Variable Speed Random-Orbit Polisher: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 7424 6-Inch Variable Speed Random-Orbit Polisher: Home Improvement

and the McGuires MF correction system like this:
Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches.

Got them both on the 'bay for about $250 total, the price of a good polish job I figure. The McGuires system is highly rated and even used by some pros, so I thought I would try it.

Short story, I took my time and now my black beauty shines like new, and I still have enough material to do it three or four more times if I want.

I washed my Jag the other day and before I could dry it some sand got on the hood (bonnet.) When I dried it, I got some fine scratches, really made me mad that I had done that. Then I remembered I had the tools to take out the scratches. Fifteen minutes later, they were gone and she looked like new again.

Nice to have tools like that around.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 08-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Geordie1 (08-02-2012)