Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

How I perform a Headlight Lens Restoral using a 2 part wipe on UV coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default How I perform a Headlight Lens Restoral using a 2 part wipe on UV coating

After a couple of months of reviewing and testing new products, here is an example of a new 2 part wipe on coating for headlight lenses. This new UV coating requires no UV curing lamp and it can literally take you 6-10 min to perform a complete headlight lens restoral......and best of all minimal masking and zero paint overspray.....Any questions or suggestions? please let me know...

The following tools and products were involved.......
  • Air Compressor
  • Air Sander
  • Backing Plate
  • Interface pad
  • Meguiar's Unigrit resurfacing discs 320>500>800>1000>1500>3000
  • 3M blue painters tape
  • IPA - Isoprophyl Alcohol
  • MF towels
  • Kimberly Clark lint free blue towel
  • 2 part Headlight Coating
  • Blow dryer or heat gun
The following steps are performed for this headlight lens restoral....

• Inspect lens
  • Clean lens thoroughly with IPA
  • Mask all areas that will not get resurfaced to avoid unneccesary sanding
  • Attach your pnuematic sander to the airline
  • At this point your backing plate should be attached to your sander, and then attach the interface pad
  • Depending on the type of lens and the amount of lens failure select your starting disc, either 320 or 500 and attach it to the interface pad. On this lens we used 500 to start the process.
  • Begin the process working side to side and up and down keeping your tool flat. You will see tha failed coating just dust and fall off.
  • After each step wipe off the lens with IPA and a MF to inspect your work.
  • Once you have completed the most aggressive step, them move up to the next level which would be 800 grit that we used on this one.
  • Using the same systematic process on each step, resurface thoroughly then wipe clean with IPA and inspect.
  • Now we move up to the finer steps of restoring the clarity, attach a 1000 grit disc on the tool. This step will be perfomed in a "wet" method so a light mist of water or Quick Detailer will help.
  • A fine slurry will appear, this is normal so continue to resurface in the same fashion as in the above steps. The wipe clean with IPA and inpect for uniformity and clarity
  • Next step will be to attach 1500, and repeat the steps above. In some cases you can go directly to 3000 grit after the 1000 grit, mist the lens a bit to lubricate and finish the resurfacing at this point.
  • Wipe off the lens with IPA and perform a complete inspection at this point, no more sanding will be performed. If there are still areas that need correction,you will need to go back in your steps.
  • You are now ready for the 2 part UV coat and it's application. You will mix the product 1:1 in a small dixie cup, using a popsicle stick.
  • With the Kimberly Clark lint free towel you will fold it in 4th's and dip the folded edge into the cup.
  • You will then wipe the coating from one side to the other in a uniform motion. Do not use a lot of product, the liquid will flow on and lay flat.
  • Apply the coating to the complete lens and inspect for even coverage, if necessary give the lens a second coat for a perfect application.
  • To accelerate cure time use a hair dryer or a heat gun (low temp and not direct w/heat gun - BE CAREFUL!!)

YouTube - Headlight Lens Restoral with a 2 part wipe on coating on 2002 VW Jetta lights

The following 2 users liked this post by Innovative Detailing:
Gus (04-21-2011), joycesjag (04-19-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Finally, a restoration process that includes UV protection w/o the specialized equipment. Great thread addition Dave, there will be some owners that will appreciate the recommendation, and not have to rebuff or resand every 6 months.

The following users liked this post:
Innovative Detailing (04-12-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

This is surely one of the most useful threads ever you ever posted . I think our members will be pleased with this thread

The following users liked this post:
Innovative Detailing (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Finally, a restoration process that includes UV protection w/o the specialized equipment. Great thread addition Dave, there will be some owners that will appreciate the recommendation, and not have to rebuff or resand every 6 months.
Originally Posted by cadillac
This is surely one of the most useful threads ever you ever posted . I think our members will be pleased with this thread

Thank you both for your awesome comments on this post...........Hopefully this will help forum members out when it comes to this type of process..
If there are any questions as to where the products can be obtained or purchased please do not hesitate to ask.....

Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Dave, over this past weekend I picked up the 3M kit. It included the drill backer pad, P500, P800, P3000 foam disc, and their rubbing compound for the finale. It did not include any type of UV protector.

I am impressed with the results, although not perfect (some light scratches and a touch of fogging). I will live with it as it is not a show vehicle.

Onward to my question(s). I read the your other headlight restoration where TOGWT recommended the SprayMaster UV. Seems like a good deal at $18.00 but it is an aerosol, thoughts other than the obvious?

I have searched the web for your "wipe on UV" I cannot find it. I believe you sell products, do you sell the wipe on UV? I would definetly be interested in that route. I do realise that you will not make a retirement fund but.....

As always THANK YOU for your time, posts, knowledge and sharing of your professional tips to us "wannabe" garage detailers!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Dave, over this past weekend I picked up the 3M kit. It included the drill backer pad, P500, P800, P3000 foam disc, and their rubbing compound for the finale. It did not include any type of UV protector.

I am impressed with the results, although not perfect (some light scratches and a touch of fogging). I will live with it as it is not a show vehicle.

Onward to my question(s). I read the your other headlight restoration where TOGWT recommended the SprayMaster UV. Seems like a good deal at $18.00 but it is an aerosol, thoughts other than the obvious?

I have searched the web for your "wipe on UV" I cannot find it. I believe you sell products, do you sell the wipe on UV? I would definetly be interested in that route. I do realise that you will not make a retirement fund but.....

As always THANK YOU for your time, posts, knowledge and sharing of your professional tips to us "wannabe" garage detailers!
YOu mean this stuff.....
http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
Thanks.

Last edited by jag79; 04-21-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Over the past year I used 3 products, the first one I am unable to recall the second was Turtle Wax and I was pleased with it and the last and most recent Meguiar’s and out of the 3 Meguiar’s was the best.

I like your process and would like to know about the 2 part UV product. Are you speaking of the clear-coat used on painting cars? If not could you elaborate on the 2 part UV product? I had seen the use of clear lacquer being used on the lenses but hesitated because of chips from road debris.

If your product is the auto-body clear-coat the second part is a catalyst and depending on the amount added will dictate how fast it sets up.

Last edited by Gus; 04-21-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: to add info on Catalyst
Old 04-22-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag

Joycesjag.....Looks like you are off to a great start, unfortunately your tremendous effort coupled with a drill can only acomplish so much. Since a pneumatic sander or 10,000 rpm d/a works so much faster, and it oscillates as it spins, therefore it leaves less pigtails or scratches. So what happens is you now have to polish as the kit states and the lenses just dont look crystal clear.

IMO this SprayMax is not the product I would suggest for this type of restoration. It is not a replacement sacrificial coating for headlight lenses, it is more for spot paint repair product. First of all it is a product to be applied over base coats, not polycarbonate lenses. It takes at least 24 hours to completely dry, therefore be prepared to have some tweezers handy to pick out the contaminants from the tacky coating.

I would much rather choose a product that is specifically designed as a UV Headlight Coating and not some clear coat that is for base coat coverage.

I do offer the wipe on coating, however it is only available in 8oz (2parts) sizes which will do a total of 30 sets or 60 lenses, let me know your thoughts....

I also thank you for your questions and for helping make the detailing section a place for all to come for information regarding detailing.

Originally Posted by Gus
Over the past year I used 3 products, the first one I am unable to recall the second was Turtle Wax and I was pleased with it and the last and most recent Meguiar’s and out of the 3 Meguiar’s was the best.

I like your process and would like to know about the 2 part UV product. Are you speaking of the clear-coat used on painting cars? If not could you elaborate on the 2 part UV product? I had seen the use of clear lacquer being used on the lenses but hesitated because of chips from road debris.

If your product is the auto-body clear-coat the second part is a catalyst and depending on the amount added will dictate how fast it sets up.
Thank you Gus for your questions.....

Since you have tried the OTC products you obviously saw how much they could deliver in the way of correction and protection. This 2 part proprietary UV coating is NOT at all the same as what is used on painting a vehicle....it is a 2 part (equal amounts) of a catalyst and clear protective coating. This product is mixed 1:1 and once applied it is dried with heat, not UV lightling. IMO this product is the most similar to the OEM coating as it lays completely flat on the lens, no orange peel like the SEM aerosol.

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 04-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 part UV coating

This is a new product which came out in February by Deltakits, Infinity 4.1. You paint it on and the headlight looks new. It replaces Coat2Protect Headlight Coating. Youtube videos look compelling.

Headlight Restoration Coating | Infinity 4.1 Headlight Restoration Coating