Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

How to use a clay bar, Southern style

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts
Default How to use a clay bar, Southern style

This is just begging to be shared.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Git er' dun.

Great find Muddydog, thanks for posting.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Is the guy really only 2' tall or is it a funny camera lens?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Clay bar really does work, whether you have a southern accent or not! :O)

Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I am embarassed to say but I had never even heard of clay bar until I got on this forum. I was searching you-tube for info and ran across this helpful gem. I just bought a kit today, so I'll give it a try.

And I'm a Texan originally, so I laugh, but the accent is also music to my ears, in a way

Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I first heard about it a couple years ago but always thought it wasn't worth it
until one day it was on sale at my local Canadian Tire store so I decided to try it. Glad I did. It's
funny because you think your car is clean and debris-free until you start using one of those clay bars
and see all the gunk it picks up. I'm not sold on it making it shinier as I thought I heard in the video but
definitely makes it smoother which should make for quicker [2 bucket] hand washing.

Detailing clay was first use in the mid-80's in Japan and not introduced to the US until early 90's. Japanese body shops found that a mixture of various "sticky" resins would remove the over-spray from the surface of the paint without the use of compound or aggressive chemicals. Since then, clay has progressed into a more durable, softer, and safer product that will remove contaminants from the surface of the clear coats. Over-spray, tree sap, road gunk, brake dust, industrial fallout, etc...will embed itself into the paint, causing it to feel rough or "bumpy". These contaminates are sitting on top of the paint and can safely be removed with the use of clay. However, clay will not remove scratches because scratches are IN the paint....not ON the paint. Although being very easy to use, clay can damage your paint if re-used after it falls on the ground. Check out the video for do's an dont's of claying.

Last edited by shaune; 02-25-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-16-2013, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I am embarassed to say but I had never even heard of clay bar until I got on this forum. I was searching you-tube for info and ran across this helpful gem. I just bought a kit today, so I'll give it a try.
Your going to be shocked my friend, totally shocked....
Great stuff...

Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

What you do after a clay bar process is important also. I have been using Klasse synthetic treatments (there are dozens to chose from) with some better lasting results than just straight wax. If you are interested there are many detailing websites that can assist. Depends on how much effort you want to put into your car's look.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by shaune
I first heard about it a couple years ago but always thought it wasn't worth it
until one day it was on sale at my local Canadian Tire store so I decided to try it. Glad I did. It's
funny because you think your car is clean and debris-free until you start using one of those clay bars
and see all the gunk it picks up. I'm not sold on it making it shinier as I thought I heard in the video but
definitely makes it smoother which should make for quicker [2 bucket] hand washing.

I 1st learned about clay bar [sort of ] from my sister in late 80s. some kind sole went all down one side of my range rover with a black marker pen, not really wanting to compound the whole car, my sis said she knew how to remove it easily. 10 mins later she came back with a grin saying shed done it. I was truly amazed, she flattened a lump of blue tack, licked it, and wiped it off. she said she had seen it done on one of those daytime womens programs! used it for years untill the late 90s when proper clay bar became available.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A caveat to this post: the following is just my personal opinion. Also, if the video was posted as a joke on how not to clay your car, then please disregard the following (I have obviously missed the joke then).

Whilst this is an entertaining video, his technique will definitely introduce marring to the paintwork. He is not adding nearly enough lubricant to the area he is working on. He also seems to be straying the clay bar into areas at the periphery of the (insufficiently) lubed area, this WILL cause marring (add a dry to semi dry clay bar to paint = bad marring). When claying, always add more lubricant (detailing spray or similar) than you think you will need.

Additionally, the way in which he moulds the clay is very wrong. He seems to be just randomly moulding and kneading it about. You should always aim to fold the clay in on itself. If you fold and knead it ***** nilly (as the chap does), you'll just end up scraping all the bonded contaminants that you have just removed all over your paintwork, thus inflicting more swirls.

Top tip for clay bars, instead of kneading, simply place the clay in a very warm to hot bowl of water. It will then be super pliable, and you can shape it to fit perfectly in your hand (this can be repeated every time you need to fold the clay in on itself whilst you are claying your car).