Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

meguiars drill system for my VDP

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default meguiars drill system for my VDP

Hello all, I hope your day is going well. I know I haven't posted pictures of the whole car yet but at the rate I am doing misc little pics the whole car will be up here. LOL.

In any case, to make a long story short... The previous owner (a good friend of mine) had this 92 VDP and took great care of it, even putting it under a cover in the garage. That was until he moved about 6 months ago. His new house didn't have the room in the garage for the Jag so he put it outside in the back. Of course this gave his 5 80 lb dogs the perfect place to get just a bit closer to those dang squirrels. Needless to say there are numerous scratches and some small dents from boot to bonnet. I got a screaming deal and the rest of the car was immaculate to say the least. I was going to spend some $$ and get the car painted and dent's removed but decided that money is better spent on some preventative maintenance instead.

Eventually I will get it painted and in perfect shape again but I needed a good stop gap in the mean time. I knew that many of the scratches would not come out without body work but I though I would try to do some scratch removing, polishing and waxing and see what the outcome was. I did some research and liked the simplicity of the Meguiar's system where you use a drill and their pads and polishes. I made the small investment and decided to give it a whorl.

I didn't have a huge amount of time today so I decided to try this system on the driver's side of the boot so I could really see the difference. The process was as follows.

1) washed the car boot with their car wash. Dried thoroughly.
2) Used the clay bars 2 times on the back wiping down after each time.
3) Used the Red pad on my drill with the scratch remover compound. 5 passes 2 times, wiping between each time.
4) Used the Yellow pad for the polish. 7 passes, 2 times, wiping between each time.
5) used the black pad with their wax. 3 passes, 1 time, waiting 3-5 minutes to wipe off.

Needless for the minor investment and about 45 minutes total I had an amazing result. I was skeptical as it seemed to be too easy and their claimed results too good to be true, but it really was quite a difference. I think I could do the whole process again and get even better results but I won't get another chance till Sunday.

I do know that there will need to be body work on some of the deeper scratches and after 21 years I am not going to get quite the show room shine but just how many times could you do the scratch remover before you get to the danger zone?

For now I just wanted to have it get the wow factor from afar. I don't know if these pictures really do it justice but the passenger side was untreated and the drivers was treated. If anyone has any other tips or tricks they would like to share please feel free to do so.

Well back to work. Have a good day everyone!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry forgot pictures.

Attached Thumbnails meguiars drill system for my VDP-20130523_132009.jpg   meguiars drill system for my VDP-20130523_132105.jpg   meguiars drill system for my VDP-20130523_132112.jpg