Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

My first Rotary polisher

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default My first Rotary polisher

Just got my first rotary polisher for my birthday, and I would like to know what compounds you guys use for cutting and removing swirls.

I've been watching plenty of guides on how to rotary polish and feel I知 ready to practice on an old car. I currently own Autoglym Super Resin polish, Meguiars Carnaura wax, G3 Scratch remover, and Meguiars Swurl X.

Can I use any of my current liquids on my rotary and what else will I need? Hopefully things that can be bought in the UK. I also have 3 different foam pads and a lamb wools bonnet (not sure what I use this for?)

The purpose behind me learning this is to correct my paint on my Jag when I知 confident enough.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by L80ous
Just got my first rotary polisher for my birthday, and I would like to know what compounds you guys use for cutting and removing swirls.

I've been watching plenty of guides on how to rotary polish and feel I知 ready to practice on an old car. I currently own Autoglym Super Resin polish, Meguiars Carnaura wax, G3 Scratch remover, and Meguiars Swurl X.

Can I use any of my current liquids on my rotary and what else will I need? Hopefully things that can be bought in the UK. I also have 3 different foam pads and a lamb wools bonnet (not sure what I use this for?)

The purpose behind me learning this is to correct my paint on my Jag when I知 confident enough.

You do have to be careful when using rotary buffers because you can instill more swirls, scratches, holograms, and buffer trails. Definitely practice first and read as much as you can about how rotary buffers operate. They can be great if you know how to work them properly or they can be a gateway to some nasty mistakes that can't be fixed. Practice is key.

As far as the foam pads, that's what you apply your different products with: compounds, swirl removers, polishes, waxes and sealants. The lambs wool pad is a very heavy cut wool pad. Probably never going to use that. You can also put microfiber bonnets over the lambswool to pick up products instead of using microfiber towels, works great!

At PinnacleWax.Com, we don't offer a compound. We do have a swirl remover, a polish, great waxes, and much much more. You could use the products you currently have. I would suggest using products that have diminishing abrasives in them to make your rotary buffing experience more pleasant. Diminishing abrasive products break down as you buff them in and finish very smooth so you don't have to worry too much about the end result. Pinnacle products all use diminishing abrasive technology. If you're looking for a good compound to remove heavy imperfections, I would recommend trying Wolfgang Uber Compound. Awesome stuff.

I would also read this and good luck with the Rotary Buffer learning: Rotary Polisher How To

The following users liked this post:
BigBossRadio (03-28-2014)