Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Need smoke smell gone

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need smoke smell gone

Hi guys new here to the forum and to Jaguar all together. I bought a 2002 X Type a couple of weeks ago and spent some time getting all the mechanicals tuned up but now its time to turn my attention to the interior. It smells like it was smoked in since its build date of 5/01, maybe longer. I've used air fresheners to no avail. Then I used steam cleaning twice and an open container of baking soda in the center console and it helped a bit. Then I sprayed vinegar in the head liner and footwells and the car smelled worse than at the start. I diluted some baking soda and sprayed that everywhere and that got rid of the vinegar smell but the smell of cigarettes still lingers.
Has anyone had success removing the smell of smoke themselves? I could take it to get professionally detailed but I'd rather not.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by beechums
Has anyone had success removing the smell of smoke themselves? I could take it to get professionally detailed but I'd rather not.

I have had two cars that had been smoked in and nothing Itried got rid of it totally. Even a professional detailer cannot remove it all.Time is the best cue; the smell will diminish over time.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

See if you can borrow or rent an "ozone machine" from a local hotel or fire clean up service like Servicemaster.

It's what hotels use to remove smoke smell from non-smoking rooms that guests have smoked in. Fire clean up companies use it to remove smoke smell from premises after a fire.

You will have to run the air in the car while the machine is running to circulate it throughout the ventilating system.

Also, most machines are made for rooms not cars so you may have to be careful how long you run it.

My other advice is to physically clean everything you can reach inside the car, including the air ventilation system as possible with a professional grade chemical cleaner to remove the smoke residue.

YMMV.
Vector

Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for the ozone machine, worked on my old car left it to run overnight and then vented it in the am. if you google it there are companies that will rent them to you

Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
................ My other advice is to physically clean everything you can reach inside the car, including the air ventilation system as possible with a professional grade chemical cleaner to remove the smoke residue.
I've no experience with Vector's first suggestion of an "ozone machine" but it sounds a good piece of kit to use.

A big + to cleaning everything - seats / carpets / door cards / dash / glass. The only part you can't really deep clean without damage is the headliner which unfortunately is where much of the cigarette smoke residue clings.

To speed up the process of clearing the lingering odour, run the ventilation system at maximum heat for around ten minutes at a time with all the windows shut and then open the doors to vent the hot air. The smell will get even worse as it heats up but it does help drive it out of the fabric. Repeat until it becomes bearable.

There's none worse than reformed smokers. I was a forty a day man and stopped in 1986. Can't stand the smell of cigarettes now and won't buy a used car from a smoker!

Graham

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Where's all the detailers when you need them?....lol

I think though to be fair as per Graham, once its there, its there and you'll just never shift it all.

Is it bad enough that if you can't get it to satisfactory levels you'll change the car or not?

Attached Thumbnails Need smoke smell gone-car01.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Put a small open jar of vinegar in a tray and let set in car with windows up for as long as possible. A week, if stronger try two.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I gather that Cedar is pretty good at odour removal + helps prevent moths and mildew.

A couple of lumps under the front seats might help.

I like the smell of Cedar, you might not though.

Also remove and replace any dash/AC filters you may have if they have absorbed the smoke/tar/nicotine then every time they operate you will be pumping the smell back into the car.

Have your ventilation system set to Fresh air not Recycle and run with a window cracked open. Time will help.

+ as we are coming into season shortly, a big open bag of Mimosa in flower will fragrance the car. (pretty powerful though).

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

All very good and sound advice.....

You should of course renew the cabin air filters as suggested......If / when you do this, you should try one of those A/C bombs, they cost around £10

They disinfect your whole A/C system all the way throughout, essentially to kill any bacterials that have accumulated but just as good for nicotine.
It will leave a lovely lingering zesty lemon fresh smell throughout the interior.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Take up pipe smoking. Goes well with a Jaguar - you'll need to buy a deerstalker as well.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I did remove the cabin air filter and used a steam machine on the ventilation system but I'm going to try to get my hands on one of those ozone machines. I've thoroughly cleaned all surfaces, carpets, headliner ect. three times and it keeps getting better but as they say, "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades"... Wait, hand grenades...

Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

+1 on the ozone. its the only thing that ever got my SUV smelling like a new car again after a rat infestation. But I didnt rent it, the detailer did it for me. Kills mildew, too. I had to drive with the windows down for three days after, but its effective!

Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Default Smoke Smell

Haven't tried the ozone thing - nothing else works - tried all the other stuff - air fresheners/baking soda/ vinegar - nothing. But be encouraged! Doesn't hut to make your car as clean as possible - so you are helping. I heard dry detergent works for headliner (I guess one of those waterless products) never tried that either. Check www.superiorcarcare.net - they have a lot of good stuff - I used one of their bombs - I figure - smoke permeates everything - places you won't reach with wiping and spraying. The bomb is like the exterminator smoking out bugs - set it in your car - it is concentrated fragrance that will get everywhere like the smoke did. It worked - then it started wearing off about 2 months later. I accept that. Someone probably smoked in there for years. I found 2 empty packs in my car at my initial cleaning. Don't forget to wipe down the weather stripping too. The a/c spray thing works too. I use all spray type fresheners with the same method - spray vents and the outside air vent - good luck. I don't intend to do the ozone thing. The bomb seems to work well enough.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

My Mother-in-Law's van was a smokey mess after 14 yrs. It is a low mileage van (62K) after 16 years use, I freebreezed it to death while she was in hospital and care center for rehab and did house same way. Like 10 bottles in house and 3 in van. After a month smell became tolerable and in 2 months was better. She gave van to grandson and he cleaned with Clorox wipes and then steam cleaned and rewiped with Clorox wipes. Doesn't smell bad now. At 87 the M-I-L quit smoking and we all now breathe better.

Last edited by Jagfixer; 08-26-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I would go to Autogeek.net and check this out:

Dakota Non-Smoke Cigarette Smoke Odor Eliminator
Dakota Non Smoke - odor remover, smoke odor eliminator, tobacco odor eliminator, odor remover, smoke odor remover, car odor eliminator, remove smoke

They get great reviews and seem to work really well from what I've heard. Hope this helps. Thanks

- PinnacleWax.com

Old 08-27-2014, 11:35 AM

Yes. I think Dakota was the name brand of what I used.