Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Putting clay to the test!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting clay to the test!

Over a year ago I got a new bonnet for my XJ40. It came from a scrap yard and the paint was awful, like a fine sand paper. I wasnt too worried as it was going to be sprayed so obviously it was going to have to be sand papered, but whilst at a show the Meguiars man came and showed me the clay process. He said the other panels were too smooth to worry about claying (I am a serial polisher!) so he just showed me the process on my bonnet. I was shocked by how much crud he pulled off in such a small area! When I had polished surfaces like this in the past on friends cars, I had noticed the hundreds of small dots on the panels that could never come out no matter how much or how hard you polished, and this is exactly where claying comes into its own. It removes all these nasty bits and pieces that build up over time, and creates a super smooth surface finish, almost mirror finish, which makes polishing and waxing a total pleasure AND speeds up the time it takes to do the polishing and waxing. And if its anything like the panels on my XJ40, if you keep up with the polishing and waxing you probably wont have to clay again!

Anyway, my XJS was worse than the bonnet on my XJ40 when I bought him, so today Halfords finally had the Meguiars kit in and I treated myself (and Jack!) to it! And then spent all afternoon claying him and I am astounded! I love his bodywork so much now! I havent even had a chance to polish or wax yet as it started to rain just as I finished, but boy I think he will look amazing when done! And then I will detail all his other bits and pieces too!

I bought the Meguiars clay kit, which is mainly because I have seen this one used so I was happy to purchase it. It comes with quick detailer to lubricate the clay, two clay bars, a microfibre cloth to wipe away excess detailer and also a small bottle of wax. I used pretty much all of the detailer on the car, but XJS’s are quite large. Saying that I dont think it would have got all the way around an XJ40! But I have a spare bottle at home anyway, but for someone else it may well be worth investing in another bottle as well. Its useful anyway whether claying or not. The clay bar lasted well so I am pleased about that, and it comes with a little storage box so it doesnt dry out. I havent used the wax yet but it was a nice little bonus in the box. I usually use the NXT generation Wax, so it will be interesting to try this one out.

Oh and in case you fancy a look I put some of the photos here for you to look at.
Here is something to whet your appetite!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice XJS!

From what I understand there is not a whole lot of difference in clays. Some are more aggressive than others, but not a lot of difference between brands. I use the Meguiar branded kit as well, since you can find it just about anywhere.

Claying doesn't really do any work to the paint, it just removes things that are on top of the paint. One person explained it to me that it "shaved" things off the surface of the paint. One really good way to feel what you are doing is put your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and rub it across the paint before you clay it. Then again afterwards. You'll be amazed at the difference.

A few things to note, if you drop your clay do not use it again. It is too easy to pick up a small rock or something hard and go to rubbing it across your paint. Also it is a good idea to fold your clay while you are using it to provide a clean surface. If it gets too dirty or once you are done save it for your windows. It does a great job of getting stuff off glass that is near impossible with glass cleaner.

So really in essence claying is just a prep step before polishing. I don't put a ton of miles on my rides so I generally hit it good once a year with the clay and polish and wax it. If you keep it waxed fairly well you shouldn't really need more than spot work after that.

I really like the Prima line of products from http://www.primacarcare.com/. I was introduced to them from one of my Mini forums and have not looked back since.

Also if you don't have one take a look at a dual action polisher. You can do wonders with a good polish and one of those.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I followed your advice and used Meguire's Clay kit on my '01 Jaguar XKR this weekend, followed by their carnauba wax, what a difference both applications made to the car. The platinum paint really pops and shines. It took about 3 hours total and was done in my garage and not in the sunlight. I used plenty of the detailer liquid that came with the kit to lubricate the clay. I am preparing the car for a Jaguar Concours in Reston, VA Labor Day Weekend and want a beautiful shine. I suggest both products to other car enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 AM

@ Kalahari
Yes clay is just a surface contaminent removal tool. It removes all teh grime that builds up on the paintwork and lacquer over the years and reveals that beautiful shine underneath!
And thanks for the nice comment on my XJS

@stremsjg
I am so pleased that you gave it try. I hope you will also post some piccies? When used with other cleaning products it can make your car look fantastic, once I had done my chrome and rubber bits the car looked a million dollars! I also use their wax, however I use the NXT Gen stuff, but that purely because I spoke to someone from Meguiars who said it was good for dark metallics. Once its used up I will speak to him again and see what he recommends for non metallic reds. Its amazing how much grime builds up isnt it! Its a pretty quick process too in the long run, and no doubt you realise now how much faster you can polish and wax the car now you arent fighting with the those tiny dots on the paintwork!! Glad you were happy with the outcome and all the best with your competition!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 AM

I will post pictures once I get rid of the computer gremlin's my laptop that developed over the weekend. My plan is to do the same to my '66 E Type as it has not been clayed or polished since it was repainted several years ago. The E Type is BRG with cinnamon interior and will be shown in the driven class in MI in two weeks.

Have you ever used an orbital polisher when applying polish or clay? I am considering purchasing a pneumatic 3" one but don't want to damage the paint surface. What do you think?

Did you use the car wax on the chrome and rubber components on the car as well?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Look forward to the piccies. Wow I wish you lived near me I would happily clay your E Type! So envious!!

I havent personally used an orbital polisher on my car, but I have used similar when working on show cars at work, and to be fair they really bring out the colour in paintwork, but my advice would be to make sure you get a good one with suitable mop heads. If you find your car paintwork needs "cutting back" (ie what t cut does) then these polishers come up trumps with a good compound (make sure you use plenty of water though!). they are good at getting swirl marks out too.

I dont use wax on the chrome. I have thought about it though. I use autosol on my chrome as I saw how well it bought out the shine on my father in laws Harley and classic bikes. I use the Meguiars tyre black but find it messy. That may just be becase when i first got it i spilt it and have never been able to get the stuff off of the side of the bottle lol!! For the black trim I am currently using Autoglyms trim and vinyl care. Its ideal for interior and exterior stuff and works a treat on my black bumpers.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Project Jaguar: What can I use to clean and make like new the underside bonnet engine cover? Can this material be washed and vacuumed? I have lost points recently on having not properly cleaned this area. Any suggestions?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM

Hia, well on my car this stuff is really delicate material and I would personally buy a new one if I was competing. If its oily I doubt there is much you can do, if its like fine dust or hair i would try selotape or a clothing roller. Sorry I cant be much help

Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone try Griot's garage clay, etc.? I know that most stuff is very similar BUT, they specialize in expensive cars and high end car shows. Maybe, they are a "little" bit better? If you have tried them, I'd like to know you results.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 AM

Never heard of Griots. But Im from UK so maybe thats why...