Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Swirl Marks after wet-sanding

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Swirl Marks after wet-sanding

Hello,

My BRG car was just stripped to bare metal and repainted. It was then send to the wet-sander, who a) seemed to have been too gentle with the wet-sanding because I can see some orange peel from some angles, but then again the car is a difficult color, and what's worse , b) he returned the car with buffer holograms all over. Incredible...I took my Porter CableXP, an orange pad and some Wolfgang Swirl remover followed by a coat of Zymol carbon and it helped with a lot, but did not leave it perfect.

Questions:

A) what else can I use with my PC to remove more swirls . What pad and product?

B) should I try another wet-sander to do it again?? I know BRG and black are difficult colors....it really looks great to other people, just not to me ..

(And no I am not going back to the wet-sander to demand he fix it. If he thinks returning a car full of buffer marks is acceptable, I don't want him near my car)

Thanks !!

Last edited by Spikepaga; 03-04-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

meguiaers clay bar!!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Mark,

Might be a bit late but you could try a more aggressive pad like Lake Country yellow. Also what speed were you using on the Porter? Probably need it up close to max.

If that doesn't work try a more aggressive compound/polish. I've heard Sonax Perfect Finish is good or go with an even more aggressive combo in the Meguiars M105/205.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

You need something more aggresive. Test a 2 x 2 area that has the worst swirl marks by using Chemical Guys V32, then V36, and finally V38 with an orange pad. That should completely eliminate the swirl marks and give you a better than showroom finish as long as you are making enough passess and applying the right amount of pressure. If it is taking too many passesses to get rid of the issue, try a yellow cutting pad with the V32.

By doing the 2 x 2 test area first, you will know if your approach is going to work to get you to the desired level of perfection. This way you don't end up doing the whole car and then redoing it again. Because this will take alot of time, another approach may be to spend one day polishing the hood, another day the roof, etc. Take a few months to do the entire car and get to the level of perfection that will make you happy.